• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Launches Original Content Line With Hiroyuki Takahashi's HYPERSONIC music club

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Well they gonna need to pull a Netflix.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, everybody's doing original content now, from Netflix to Amazon Prime Video to Sony PSN TV.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
These news, combined with the recent announcement that Crunchyroll premium members are now able to access the manga content, leads me to think that CR is afraid that its paying subscribers might take their business else. I imagine that with Funimation getting so many simulcasts this season some CR premium members from North America might cancel their subscriptions in favor of Funimation's paying services.

Adding access to manga content and original, exclusive content is a good idea from Crunchyroll. But I do wonder if CR might eventually enter the home video market. Or they could also team up with Sentai (isn't there a notion that they have worked together all along) to outbid Funimation and acquire more high profile content.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it matters either way. This is not acceptable. They may be legitimate now, but that doesn't mean they can go back on their principles. Give me a break? "Original content". In my opinion, this can't really mean anything good in the long run. I think they should just stick to acquiring anime. Otherwise, what if they decide that this is what visitors to their website want to see, and start focusing more on that, and less on what made them what they are to begin with. The last thing CR needs is to go through "website decay", and start (for lack of a better comparison) pulling an MTV (which admittedly is the worst case scenario; i.e., that they stop acquiring anime altogether and start focusing more on "original content", and/or "content" that technically "meets the criteria", when it actually really doesn't). When The Chernin Group (a corporation that doesn't usually dabble in anime) acquired that "majority stake in the company, Shinji said that "nothing would change". Let's just hope it stays that way...
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm, 2 pages a month seems a little slow to me, considering the output other webcomics manage to have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1