• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO THE ANIMATION

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
In most of Asia today, sadly there is still men superiority over women. You might not see it as often but it's still part of the cultures. But if you look through most of the shounen shows, all of them treat female characters really badly. Naruto was so underfocused on its females like Hinata and Sakura and even the Hokage (forgot her name) that all of them were just useless characters. Another example would be Bleach. Also take a look at the show Parasyte, the females in that shows are such pushovers. I didn't even know as to why Kana developed her feelings toward Shinichi and how she got the ability to detect Parasytic activities. Also in harem shows nowadays, female characters are portrayed in such a fashion that degraded their values as women imho. Unless you're watching a shoujo shows (which also a lot of times degrade the values of women) or shows like Kancolle, expect the females to get out of the spotlight. But maybe I just haven't seen enough yet.

Regarding Yasuko Kobayashi's writing, sure, when it comes to Kamen Rider shows, she barely focus on the female characters because those shows focus on the main guy. But for shows like Super Sentai/Power Rangers when they tend to focus the whole team, she actually handle it quite well seeing how her shows like Shinkenger, Go-Busters, Time Rangers, Gingaman, and ToQger are having likable females characters. And her writing in Ryuki also made the main focus of the story to be the resurrection of the main female character.

PS. Ikki, maybe the show is boring to you, but there are quite a number of people liked it and the show is widely received in Japan as it already has a large fanbase from its main source. Also, the show is still better than 90% of the craps that are being put out every season anyways.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
(how did I find a feminism discussion....)

Well, EP 15 was funny. :lol Hammy metalworkers.

As a GARO fan, I can sit and easily watch the series, despite the goofy art. I think it needs more, but it is above average and alright. I feel a little better after last year. And we have German to add its sexy touch. Luckily, the reviewer can sit through it and know how to enjoy a show, and not be extremely picky. I like how Ep 15's "worst part" is something dismissible. LOL
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
In most of Asia today, sadly there is still men superiority over women. You might not see it as often but it's still part of the cultures. But if you look through most of the shounen shows, all of them treat female characters really badly. Naruto was so underfocused on its females like Hinata and Sakura and even the Hokage (forgot her name) that all of them were just useless characters. Another example would be Bleach. Also take a look at the show Parasyte, the females in that shows are such pushovers.

Well at the risk of yet another sexism/feminism debate on these forums, I need to point out you're only using series aimed at men as the basis of your argument to generalize an entire culture. Shounen and seinen series will focus more on the males because that's what the audience is most likely to relate to. Shoujo is just as guilty of doing the same, only reversed. For example in Pretty Cure and Jewelpet the males are generally non-existant outside love interests or villains for the main girls to defeat.

I like Kobayasha's female characters. I like all her characters, in fact. She has a fun, simple, but deceptively complex writing style. Also you have to realize not all women, let alone people, think or agree with certain things. ToQger has Wagon who is literally a walking sexbot and exists mainly for comedy and fanservice, and while some westerners might find that "sexist", apparently Kobayashi thought it was funny and cute to have a comic relief character like that. Personally I find Wagon hilarious and was severely disappointed spoiler[she didn't end up being a ToQger despite all the foreshadowing].

-Stuart Smith
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, but just speaking from my perspective as an Asian, I still do see more male superiority over female in my country and other countries around me. And yes, sex are just like race, we all feel like we're superior over other people but let's just step out from this debate to prevent from further incident of creating a war. Onto Kobayashi's writing, I also love her characters most notably her works in super sentai series and how she shapes her characters. But to me, I consider her masterpiece to be Kamen Rider Ryuki. It was just a great series overall in term of stories and characterization. That's why I've been a fan of her writing since. Also, I love Wagon as well, she was such a good comic relief to lighten up the dark story about rainbows haha.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 15 was pure filler, which is extremely frustrating in a "I waited all week for this?!" kind of way. Probably wouldn't mind it as much if I were marathoning the show, but as it stands now, I want to know what happens next already! Which is a sign that the show has sucked me in, and that's great. (Except the previews for next week make it look like spoiler[it'll be filler, too.]

What can I say about the women on this show? Not as bad as most shonen and seinen shows, but not as good as Fullmetal Alchemist. But that's a high bar. I think the show has featured naked men more often than women, though. That has to count for something, right?
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Episode 15 was pure filler, which is extremely frustrating in a "I waited all week for this?!" kind of way. Probably wouldn't mind it as much if I were marathoning the show, but as it stands now, I want to know what happens next already!

That pretty much sums up all Garo series so far Very Happy
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

featured naked men more often than women, though. That has to count for something, right?

I don't know what you're talking about! I'm watching Garo for the plot! *stares contently at the screenshot accompanying this week's review*
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
I actually liked ~Cure~ better than last week's ep. But it was still filler. At least it focused on characters we know and love, though.
So was Doctor Horror really that bad? He cured more people than he ate, and he even healed up German during their fight. Perhaps this is the start of exploring horrors in shades of gray. Or not, as German didn't even hesitate to take him down.

Next week, we meet up with Leon and Lara, and hopefully get some plot progression!
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
You should've really avoided that spoiler in the first two lines of the review; I understand it's an article related to EP18, but it's right there in the front page, regardless if I click on it or not and I'm several episodes behind.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
You should've really avoided that spoiler in the first two lines of the review; I understand it's an article related to EP18, but it's right there in the front page, regardless if I click on it or not and I'm several episodes behind.

This was a hiccup caused by the site going down for a day and losing the custom spoiler-free lines for reviews. Not the writer's fault in this case. Sorry about the spoilage. (On that note, I guess we'll get to go through and start re-merging episode review threads too...) Anime dazed
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:

This was a hiccup caused by the site going down for a day and losing the custom spoiler-free lines for reviews. Not the writer's fault in this case. Sorry about the spoilage. (On that note, I guess we'll get to go through and start re-merging episode review threads too...) Anime dazed

Thanks for clearing that out and I'm glad it will be fixed to avoid spoiling other users.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will follow Yasuko Kobayashi's other series this year in which when it gets close to the end, it gets good and knock it out of the park till the very end.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, the last few episodes kept delivering. Everything i was complaining about got resolved, Leon became a stoic badass everyone expects him to be (also what apparently Garo user is supposed to be like), talkative Zaruba being useful. And that ending. Wow.

Ryuga will have to prove himself once again that he's worthy the title once this season ends.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Killing off the farmer girl was a bad move but I didn't want ema to die either so its an ok episode
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
"I will take care of Ema."

Leon, you were thinking about it ahead of time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6