• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!!×2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Loved this episode, the conversation between Kasuka and Ruri was very well directed. The scene with Ruri at the end was powerfully emotive without much work, which is how I would kind of describe Narita's work at its best. These character interactions are so brief but pack so much emotional content that there's a danger of cliche and melodrama that this show almost always seems to avoid, to beautiful results in this episode.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Seems the hollywood arc is ending next episode, and so far, i'd be giving the arc's execution a B/B+, slightly disappointed with the lack of the chat room conversations, since that was the best part in the novel, spoiler[meaning when Aoba(ew) and the Orihara twin join the chat room, f-ing hilarious]

The scene where the arm falls out of the duffle bag felt really out of place compared to the novel, though i'm expecting that to be covered again next week.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:59 am Reply with quote
I'm worried about what you said about a novel ending in only 4 episodes. Are they really going to do 3 novels in each season? Because if that's the reason why this season is so far being so clumsily directed, I prefer they did 2 per season so they can show each novel in its best form instead of just covering quickly what happens. Content-wise looks interesting! I just wish the presentation made me care about the interesting content.
mrmuk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Much more interesting so far than most parts of the first season, imho. First season wasn't bad, but it took quite some time to get interesting and all in all, it was 'just' good.
In the second series, the new characters are very interesting and entertaining, the boring characters (the trio with Anri, yellow haired guy and black-haired guy) get lesser screentime and the narrative with skipping back and forth in time is very enjoyable. Can't wait for next ep!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Are they really going to do 3 novels in each season? Because if that's the reason why this season is so far being so clumsily directed, I prefer they did 2 per season so they can show each novel in its best form instead of just covering quickly what happens.

I have not read the source material, but I am under the impression hat the first anime season adapted 4 novels; that is 6 episodes per novel. The second anime season is going to, I believe, adapt the remaining 6 novels. The producers should be able to stick to the 6 episodes per novel formula.

In all honestly, I am just interested in having an interesting second season that is at least as good as the first one, and it has a satisfying conclusion. I want to believe that the anime team will do a good job deciding how to best utilize the source material. I would not mind seeing some liberal changes if they are going to benefit the anime experience.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:
Are they really going to do 3 novels in each season? Because if that's the reason why this season is so far being so clumsily directed, I prefer they did 2 per season so they can show each novel in its best form instead of just covering quickly what happens.

I have not read the source material, but I am under the impression hat the first anime season adapted 4 novels; that is 6 episodes per novel. The second anime season is going to, I believe, adapt the remaining 6 novels. The producers should be able to stick to the 6 episodes per novel formula.

That's incorrect. The Durarara novel series is complete at 13 novels. The first season covered the first 3. And I believe it's been announced that this three-way split-cour second season will cover the final 10. So yes, that's 3 or 4 novels in each season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
The Durarara novel series is complete at 13 novels. The first season covered the first 3. And I believe it's been announced that this three-way split-cour second season will cover the final 10. So yes, that's 3 or 4 novels in each season.

Wow, that is A LOT of content to adapt in 36-39 anime episodes. Still, I hope the anime producers work things out, and they are able to deliver a solid second season.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
A lot of that content will have to be condensated. Volume(The Hollywood Arc) 4 is mostly filler. Next arc is when things start to take on a bigger scale, including Yakuzas, the Mafya and even the local gangs.

It's pretty obvious that they want to end the first cour with the battle of volume 6, which is all sorts of insanity going around all at once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=LKqHoUTUvjw&feature=player_embedded
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
The Durarara novel series is complete at 13 novels. The first season covered the first 3. And I believe it's been announced that this three-way split-cour second season will cover the final 10. So yes, that's 3 or 4 novels in each season.

Wow, that is A LOT of content to adapt in 36-39 anime episodes. Still, I hope the anime producers work things out, and they are able to deliver a solid second season.

My guess is that three cours was the best they could get, and they decided they wanted to at least finish the story.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
cheshire1501 wrote:
A lot of that content will have to be condensated. Volume(The Hollywood Arc) 4 is mostly filler. Next arc is when things start to take on a bigger scale, including Yakuzas, the Mafya and even the local gangs.

It's pretty obvious that they want to end the first cour with the battle of volume 6, which is all sorts of insanity going around all at once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=LKqHoUTUvjw&feature=player_embedded

They might have the battle of volume 6 be the climax of the first cour, but the denouement of the last episode of the cour might be the opening of book 7 (this is assuming that there will be a total of 39 episodes not 36). One of the books will have to adapted into 3 episodes while the rest can get 4.

Last edited by Theozilla on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Detrimont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of parts in later novels, that could really get condensed down quite easily without losing anything.
and I myself, am not really finding this execution clumsy, but whatever.....

so yeah, i'm not really worrying, i trust the studio, since it's the same team as the first season.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
cheshire1501 wrote:

While Vol 4 is slightly stand alone, the events Vol 5 and 6 are direct result of it so calling it filler is incorrect. It's more introduction and prologue to 2nd trilogy of novels. Despite a fair amount of cutting the anime is doing a good job of preserving and presenting most of the important parts of material. This shouldn't change hopefully as the season goes on.
Ahirue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
But that's the thing with his character, at least for the moment. Regardless of how many other characters there are, Mikado is still kinda like the main character, or at the very least, he's the only character that started his life in Ikebukuro at the same time we did, if you get what I mean. Even though he had Dollars thing going on from before, he never really got to develop himself until he reached Ikebukuro, while every single other character in the series had already gone through a lot.

I think Mikado will grow up to be more and more interesting as the show goes on, and he has the potential for it, unlike many others who I believe are going to remain more or less the same, which is why he's one of my favorite character. I can even bet that the series will end with him.

EDIT: Also, I don't get the hate for the third arc. Sure, it wasn't amazing like the last two, but it was still pretty good.

I'd be surprised if Mikado did become significantly more interesting, to be honest, but it would be a pleasant surprise. And really, so long as he doesn't lose his current marginal levels of charm, I'm happy.

I wouldn't say I hated the third arc, but it just draaaaaaaaaagged on and on and on. And as Izaya himself comments on, Horada does not make for the most compelling of antagonists. If they'd had cut it down by two or three episodes, I think it would have had a lot more energy and been more engaging.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
...One day some people well realize that DRRR!! really doesn't have main character. Sure some arcs do revolve more around certain characters more than others like Celty or Mikado, but the only real lead in this story is Ikebukuro itself. This is why even minor characters can get development and become more important then they seem at first glance. It's an ensemble cast through and through.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
...One day some people well realize that DRRR!! really doesn't have main character. Sure some arcs do revolve more around certain characters more than others like Celty or Mikado, but the only real lead in this story is Ikebukuro itself. This is why even minor characters can get development and become more important then they seem at first glance. It's an ensemble cast through and through.

While I agree that there's no one main character, Mikado is the main-est character. He's the one we're first introduced to and has at least a tangential connection to everything that happens. He's also one of the more relatable characters since he's essentially an ordinary guy (even if that makes him less interesting than characters like Celty or Shizuo).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14