• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kuroko's Basketball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
"My hawk eye is no match for his eagle eye!"

It's the other way around Eagle Eye (Izuki) < Hawk Eye (Takao). Which doesn't change how silly it is, of course

Thanks for the correction!

I thought about looking it up, but it's 2 AM and sort of gave up on it Very Happy Either way, I love those lines.
whiteNeko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
We have so many weird anime like girls that turn into human guns and a teacher who's a tentacle monster, and here people are complaining about unrealistic basketball. *facepalm*

I watch anime solely for entertainment purposes and based on the 8 sports anime I've seen Kuroko no Basket is the most entertaining, and that's all that really matters to me. I couldn't care less if it defies the laws of physics as long as I'm enjoying it. Wink
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Mhmm... Very fair judgment... C was all but the most appropriate rating for this flashy show...
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Huh, a sports anime isn't realistic. Since when does that have anything to do with its entertainment value? The games are exciting and well-animated, and the characters behind them are both well-defined and growing. But that evidently doesn't count for much?

I don't understand to whom this review is addressed. People who haven't watched seasons 1 and 2 won't be watching or reading this, and those of us who have stuck around for two seasons already know the basics and enjoy the show. We're not looking at it from this reviewer's perspective at all.

So why get someone to review the show who doesn't like it? That means they'll be writing reviews that most readers can't identify with.

I, as a fan, came here to see how the show differed from past seasons and how they were starting it out. This really didn't help me with that.
battlephile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
A terrible review with some errors. Can't believe people are still stuck on the unrealistic part of Kuroko. It has always been that way. Get over it already.
I wished this was reviewed by someone who enjoys and appreciates the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Where are people getting that Lauren doesn't like the series? Grading the season openers lower doesn't mean she hates it, just that she thinks it's off to a bit of a slow start so far. Others may disagree, but it's hardly indicative of her overall attitude.

Lauren wrote:
However, the team dynamics go far deeper than a game or two can convey, (speaking to the excellence of the show's characterization during these past 50 episodes.) ... Still, its character relationships, on and off the court, are what make for some rewarding comedy and drama.

Those aren't the words of someone who doesn't enjoy and appreciate the series.

Since no one in this thread has complained about the physics violations, I'm feeling like all the "what's wrong with you" comments are aimed at me for saying it annoyed me that the series ignores that basketball has any rules at all. That also doesn't mean I hate the series, quite the opposite. I just feel like they pass up some opportunities for tension and drama by letting the players do whatever the hell they want to with no consequences (iirc, there was one brief moment in the first season where Kagami was in danger of fouling out, and that was great. I also remember a charging call, where everyone looked stunned that the refs made a call at all, which was pretty funny). They seem to be playing on the honor system or something, and it's distracting when some players don't and still nothing happens to them.

The impression I'm getting from the criticism of my criticism is that I'm supposed to just watch the pretty boys move in pretty ways and talk trash at each other while doing super cool moves (and they are! And I love that!), and to have no investment in who wins or loses or how they accomplish that. Because if basketball has no rules, then strategy is right out. If the scoreboard is wrong, oh well, the writers said that's what it was, and who cares anyway. If a buzzer beater, one of the most dramatic shots in basketball, is inexplicably not counted, big deal, it looked cool!

Sorry, but while I love this series to death, I just can't watch it on a level where the entire thing is supposed to be silly and that's ok as long as the boys look good doing whatever they do, and all that I'm allowed to comment on is how cool everything is. So I'll keep watching for what I get out of it (and still groan when the refs don't call a technical and eject a player who openly punches someone during a game), and y'all keep watching for what you get out of it (and not caring what sport you're watching). I won't tell anyone their way of enjoying it is wrong, and I'd appreciate the same courtesy.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One of the things that does drive me crazy about this show is the flagrant abuse of the rules of the game. There seems to be no shot-clock, nor any but the most minimal, absolutely necessary officiating going on.

I don't know about Japan but there's no shot clock in most US highschool basketball games.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One of the things that does drive me crazy about this show is the flagrant abuse of the rules of the game. There seems to be no shot-clock, nor any but the most minimal, absolutely necessary officiating going on.

There's no shot clock in most US highschool basketball games.

In most of the rest of the world though people play by FIBA rules and they have Shot-clock.
I'm 100% sure that Japan plays by FIBA rules.

Even NBA and NCAA have shot-clock as well. The fact that Highschool in America doesn't have Shot-clock is more of an anomaly than something frequently seen.

Question: Why in the hell doesn't they have shot-clock in US Highschool?
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Also this:

Quote:
I can see why jumping into season three might be tough if you haven't seen the first two.

Why would anyone jump into S3 without watching the previous two and why is that a negative? Would someone just start watching Stardust Crusaders from the new Egypt arc and be able to understand everything that's going on? In a season crowded with sequels that wouldn't make any sense to newcomers, this seems like a weird criticism to make.[/quote]

@CrowLia Now that I think about it I'm actually one of those people that jumps into shows halfway and just goes along with the ride with no prior knowledge and learns on the fly. That being said I do have a history of doing just such a thing those shows being naruto, baccano, Jojo, one piece (although I skipped like 150 episodes and still was able to find out what was going on), and DBZ but I don't regret it because it also gave me a chance to see how they got to that point as well.To finish if those guys that are somewhat like me then it wouldn't matter how far they go into a show just as long as they enjoy it then should be the final deciding factor more times than not.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of the FFXV trailers and the quote it displayed near the opening of the 2006 trailer and in a compilation or other trailer.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v66bRY4luE

http://youtu.be/ACSpgGAjGfM?t=8m2s
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Well, not entirely, according to FIBA, which banned them last November from international competition until the JBA gets their leagues straightened out. Smile But yeah, I think the high schools use FIBA rules to actually play the game.

Eight US states do use a shot-clock in high school play (MD only has one for the girls), which puts them afoul of the NFHS rules and keeps them from voting. But the pressure is on to make it nationwide. There are also economic barriers to implementing it, so it'll probably be a few more years.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Well, not entirely, according to FIBA, which banned them last November from international competition until the JBA gets their leagues straightened out. Smile But yeah, I think the high schools use FIBA rules to actually play the game.

Eight US states do use a shot-clock in high school play (MD only has one for the girls), which puts them afoul of the NFHS rules and keeps them from voting. But the pressure is on to make it nationwide. There are also economic barriers to implementing it, so it'll probably be a few more years.

I didn't know that in Japan they had 2 leagues where 1 plays to FIBA rules and other to NBA. O_O
This is totally strange and unfortunate for both leagues, because is like there is 2 types of basketball in the country and a lot of teams can't play against each other. And also it divides the audience.
At least it seems like they are now trying to connect both leagues and make the resulting play by FIBA rules.

So there are economic barriers for High School Shot-clock? What are they? Costs of adequate equipment?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
So there are economic barriers for High School Shot-clock? What are they? Costs of adequate equipment?

Apparently a new or updated scoreboard starts at over two grand, and then you have to pay another person to operate the shot-clock (and train them before they do). Since a growing number of schools are so strapped they're cutting back or even doing away with their sports programs entirely, this could push some of the borderline schools out of the game. Seems to me like someone with a stopwatch would suffice at the high school single-A level, but I guess that involves too much trust. Smile
laureninspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

As others have pointed out, I'm a bit surprised by how many actual mistakes the review has (forgetting Hanamiya, and that Seirin hasn't faced Akashi, who has without doubt the most supernatural ability of the entire series).
ETA: That Lauren forgot about Hanamiya is even stranger since he's even mentioned in the episode's first minutes

Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for this. I was given the option to defer this review since I'd be on vacation, but I didn't, and it's clear it affected my judgement. I hope you'll keep reading because I'm doing my best to avoid mistakes from now on, including re-watching the show again from episode 1.
azazel13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Ep. 3

“And I totally dumped her as soon as I boned her too” - Haizaki

So Haizaki had sex with Kise’s girlfriend when they were in Teiko. How old was he? 13? I find that surprising. I don’t think that’s common in Japan though. Either way, Kise didn't care much about her so no big loss for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10