• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoru no Yatterman (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm not saying they are the same show, they clearly have different stuff going on. They are just similar in certain ways so I raised them as comparison points, and my point was just that both of those shows really grabbed by attention and interest early on, they were both very visually distinct and had good senses of humor that made me really want the next episode.

This series is competent, the animation seems fluid to me and all that, but it's nothing "wow" there, and the humor is just a little chuckle here or there, so that's not enough of a hook, and the little girl losing her mother in a dystopian meh-scape is done to death so there's no interest there, I'm just not hooked yet.

And for the record, I have not watched Yatterman (or the original Gatchaman, but that did not hurt my enjoyment of Crowds), and did watch at least some of the early Pokemon so I'm aware of Team Rocket. I get the whole "the 'villain team' becoming the good guys against the 'hero team'" schtick, but it's not handled in any particularly interesting way here. Not yet at least.

Quote:
Rather than looking at the silly bits as just trying to get a laugh, I see it more as them trying to match their roles, and how in some ways that is not working.

Ultimately though, that leads to them being very confused, paper thin characters, where they don't really seem to have a lot of personality because they meander between several. I think you could do that if you had at least one really compelling and clear character, or if the rest of the world was so interesting that the characters don't really matter for a while, but this show lacks either of those traits.

I don't know, I think this might be one of those series where once you've seen it all it comes together, the characters all get their focus episodes and we finally learn where they come from and what they're doing, I just don't think they did a good enough job giving me a reason to care long enough to find that stuff out. For me at least, if others really enjoy it then that's fine.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Watching this series it is like the sun has come out of the clouds. Pretty much every other new winter series has disappointed me in a way but I loved every second of this.

I loved the fairy tale feel to it and how the heroes/villains have switched sides. And I adore the 3 main characters who remind me very much of the Grandis Gang from Nadia who were my favorites in that show (of course now I see that Nadia must have got their original inspiration from the 70's Yatterman).

Although Leopard kind of reminds me of a cross between Grandis and Marie.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
And suddenly it becomes a spoiler[team adventure.] Great, I like it. The more, the merrier. Cool

Glad all that nudity scene with the trio doesn't last long. If it's meant to be comedic, unfortunately it doesn't work for me. It's kinda.... creepy. Confused
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

What do you do when you are being spoiler[attacked by the dark image of old heroes trying to kill you and need to escape and are bound by comic relief anime villain traits]? You make a spoiler[dramatic over the top entrance, summon your impractical mecha of the week out of nowhere and use its inevitable losing to stop the enemy and get away in your campy escape villain]. I have seen it often that heroes have been able to draw on the spirit of being a hero to win, but see a group draw on the power of being the villain, that feels special.

Who of us love the villains making a campy entrance? *raises hand* For my age group it was Team Rocket, which I am sure older viewers may have their own or maybe even know the originals that were Dorinbo. Actually I am reminded of a fond memory I had from that show where one time the heroes do it instead.

Maybe something really strange, or maybe not even make sense, but I had a tear as I watched some of the ED. I think the reason starts with that spoiler[now we have the true descendants of the Yatterman, and they have decided to join our villain heroes]. It gave me thought he too spoiler[decided to abandon that fate (the dice)], and together they are all a new generation that can draw on strength of their past generations, but won't let it dictate being enemies of each other. You should show kindness to each other, watch each other's backs, and together you can bring down the broken system. Maybe I am reading too much into it, maybe I am thinking things that the show might not entirely do, but that is what I felt.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
ep.3

spoiler[brief flashback where baby leopard got mom's soup cue forward to now main trio meet ally yet she called them her angels give feel remind of mom.

then here come gali give hid them from yatter-bots yet tell them story that their parents & dog we're taken to main yatter city which got "boom" and lost which cause ally can't accept reality of this world that see main trio as angels to bring them to her parents.

so gali let them stay for night yet ask why hate yatterman give reason trying make-up for failing to protect someone then next day give them clothes on the go yet ally ask where are they then yikes yatter-bots are back.

main trio hear noise then count 30 yatter-bots want them or go "boom" on ally & gail til saved by the pig so now after quick basement hid now gali realize need to make own choice so he & ally join main trio.

house go boom yet there all ok bring in dyanmite-bot for taking you with me boom which lead flying bike ride for main trio along with ally & gali to main yatter city. ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
I like this show but there is a pervasive undercurrent of sadness running through it that kind of bums me out. It seems that having flashbacks of Leopard in happier times with her mom will be a feature of every episode which just serves to remind us all that her mom is dead. And then the whole deal with Ally and her backstory. I wouldn't mind an episode where we did without the bummer stuff for a bit.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
ep. 4, this is the first episode that feels like filler, but just as well in introduces that there are probably going to be a group of established Cyborg generals in charge of the robot Yatter-gestapo beyond the robot captain.
The battles are still pretty over the top as one would expect for a "cartoon" series, the drama is still there as was found in previous eps but (for me anyway) doesn't hit as hard as it isn't applied to our established characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

So Leopard has now spoiler[realised exactly how bad things are the citizens]. She did not spoiler[hate the people she tried to help that pretty much betrayed her], kind of fittingly such a spoiler[lack of honour was met with betrayal]. Did not make it any less depressing. Them being forced to cheer on as they are oppressed was quite scary.
KLAC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
ep.4

spoiler[flashback how oda-pig met with leopard & family give her mom is saying respect the pig give eleph want eat pig.

present time give volt & eleph trying sell floating stick then give get food from pregnant woman & her husband with relax on hot spring.

til yatter-bots appear get pregnant's husband for 35yrs of hard labor in name of yatter-kingdom even forced people go HAIL YATTER-HYDRA for it even pregnant forced to do it.

leopard see this is wrong so rescue pregnant's husband give seem ok til meet general goro of yatter-kingdom on the hunt then pregnant's husband sell leopard & pals in exchange for pardon with goro.

goro on the attack give eleph battle him with others go monkey-bot attack til shock-punch & shock-charge hound beat doronbo crew.

& as for pregnant's husband cue goro going "I LIED" aka 35yrs of hard labor work with wife going HAIL YATTER-HYDRA (in upset anger) then see leopard and others telling them to "go away".

seeing all this leopard feel the yatter-kingdom is the DEVIL & crying while "laugh" in truth there in not happy mood. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This show brings a lot to the table. I find the spoiler[intimidation scenes to have a strong effect on some of the locals there. A pretty harsh society in their world.]

I can tell that spoiler[Doronjo was struggling inside when she was doing her signature 'ha, ha, ha' unlike usual. I hope they can fix the oppressions in their world soon.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Looks like the red guy might be the spoiler[cyborg remains of Alouette's father, the dog he has was also the one they mentioned was taken and that is why it did not harm Galina].

Leopard was pretty awesome in this episode. From the "don't spoiler[follow me]" part, other funny parts, and her more emotional scenes.
KLAC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
ep.6

spoiler[goro going to catch doronbo crew again cause how yatter-kingdom saved his life & owe them so hunt is on.

after runaway from goro give volt & eleph thinking of give-up yet leopard ride off her anger yet those yatter-bots & goro appear.

give gali got caught yet goro's dog was being "normal" yet leopard ride down the cliff give random person wonder who is she then see her wanted poster.

volt & eleph after some realize give remember gift dorothy gave them & see leopard as angel to save this world then random person who a lavender plant person help leopard get better.

goro give bit hmm named of gali go like use him as bait to get doronbo so dawn is in yet leopard to rescue give lavender guy did distract that was "worth it".

then after leopard enter both her & gali called yatter-nation are FOOLS then volt & eleph arrive (give odd showing of pic of a family with a dog) got goro froze a bit.

so whole doronbo crew is back even flower picking mecha even make pit falls to bury yatter-bots to run another day with lavender guy read message of leopard's thanks yet "it was worth it" & doronbo will be light to stop yatter-nation. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
How I just love the trollish tactics this series uses :p

That was some spoiler[underwater fun from the latest episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Well Galina, if things don't work out with your childhood friend, it looks like you have a Plan B now Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

That was a weird episode. YN has always been a silly show but often the silliness is kind of clever in a way. This was just dumb. Actually, it felt very much like a "holy crap, we're falling behind in our schedule ... let's have an episode where our cast is basically unconscious in a room for a long time and only two people are talking."

Hope to see a return to form next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4