• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 19-25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Next project for AnimEigo: Kickstarter for Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer Blu-ray

(CPM doesn't exist anymore)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
I'm glad UY sold well, but like usual Toei cropped it so it's kind of ruined, just like Terra e... and Arcadia of My Youth. And it's not even just Toei, Genma Taisen was also cropped. If this doesn't somewhat infuriate you, it should. Animators had to slave to animate, color, and photograph that lost 25% of the image, and these people now just decide to cut it because...no reason, everyone should understand that sometimes movies come in 4:3.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Looks like Rail Wars! doesn't have enough sales for another season.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Clean the image/sound up and go home as changing the aspect ratio to 16/9 like with Buffy now is garbage but i am not even a fan ob dubs so there is that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
I didn't imagine that BD box set from yes precure 5 gogo is on the list.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm glad UY sold well, but like usual Toei cropped it so it's kind of ruined, just like Terra e... and Arcadia of My Youth. And it's not even just Toei, Genma Taisen was also cropped. If this doesn't somewhat infuriate you, it should. Animators had to slave to animate, color, and photograph that lost 25% of the image, and these people now just decide to cut it because...no reason, everyone should understand that sometimes movies come in 4:3.

Urusei Yatsura movie isn't from Toei! Is from Studio Pierrot and TOHO.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Animators had to slave to animate, color, and photograph that lost 25% of the image, and these people now just decide to cut it because...no reason, everyone should understand that sometimes movies come in 4:3.

Hearing this makes me sad. A couple years ago I bought the "Thw world at war" TV documentary in DVD because the Blu-ray was chopped to 16:9 Anime hyper This is twice as sad because there is enough space in a bluray disc to have an uncut and a chopped version of whatever movie, but it seems no one has thought about such a simple solution -_-;
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I watched a bit of Yuyuyu and it didn't really hold my interest, but considering its sales I wonder if I should pick it back up. There must have been something to interest so many buyers later on.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

But wasn't it one of those cases where the animators composed each frame knowing full well that they would be cropped for the theatrical release?

I remember a similar debate when the first season of Justice League aired. The episodes were animated in 4:3, but they first aired in letterbox widescreen, and Bruce Timm said he actually intended them to be cropped to 16:9, so the animators avoided drawing key elements on the top and bottom 1/8 of each frame.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 19-25 chart wrote:
2 - Haikyū!! Vol. 7 8,884

Haikyū!! is continuing to sell strong, which is to be expected. The show's production qualities were quite above-par, IMO, and the story is interesting and at times funny.

4 - Yūki Yūna is a Hero Vol. 2 7,664

Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru is still showing good sale numbers, which raises the possibility of another season, or "chapter," in the Yūki-verse.

5 - Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road Vol. 1 5,137

This show deserves those kind of numbers. It might lead to extending this season's episode count from 24, like it was the case with the first Yowamushi Pedal season.

7 - CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon Vol. 2 4,506

Over 4,000 in the first week, and that only for the Blu-Ray release, shows this anime has got a strong fanbase. Maybe it'll help quieting down the Nay Sayers.

8 - Psycho-Pass 2 Vol. 2 4,215

This one baffles me a bit, since I thought that while Psycho-Pass 2 had good animation and art styles, its plot and characters were weaker and below the bar set by Psycho-Pass.

10 - Trinity Seven Vol. 2 2,438

Personally, I enjoyed watching Trinity Seven; it didn't had any particularly impressive or strong comedic or dramatic moments, but it wasn't in the gutter, either. For me, it was kust enough above-mediocrity to keep me interested towards the next episode (also, I didn't had any high expectations going into the show, having read the manga's early chapters, so I didn't experienced "the fall" in expectations).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
But wasn't it one of those cases where the animators composed each frame knowing full well that they would be cropped for the theatrical release?

I don't think that is the case, because the tops of heads are often chopped off in these releases whenever you have a closeup, making for less natural framing. As another posted said, at least the consumer to option instead of deciding for us. This is like the opposite end of spectrum of pan and scan for widescreen films.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

7 - CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon Vol. 2 4,506

Over 4,000 in the first week, and that only for the Blu-Ray release, shows this anime has got a strong fanbase. Maybe it'll help quieting down the Nay Sayers.

No, it won't. They will just make excuses to belittle its success.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
The Beautiful dreamer Blu ray would have been a movie that I would have liked to have subtitles I could actually understand... maybe we get lucky in some years Sad
jazijaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Free! is number 1!!!!! well deserved because the animation was beautiful, it has good comedy and some well handled dramatic bits. The slice of life story was never boring and the message was a good one (true friendship).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1