• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Loses an Hour of Programming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I never really understood that. By all intents and purposes, you're tuned into the channel when the shows are airing. Regardless of if you're physically watching it or if you're recording it with a DVR.

How do they know the difference? And what about non-cable provided DVRs?

These ratings come from Nielsen "metered" households. Their current meters not only count what is watched live but what is watched on a delayed basis. For some series that can raise a rating from, say, four percent to six percent, which has substantial revenue implications.

Someone else suggested that showing reruns is costless. That's most certainly not true. Television networks pay a rights fee for every episode they air regardless if it's in reruns or not. They may have to pay less for an episode in reruns, but those showings are not free.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
Why don't they just air older shows? They could get ratings that way.

How well did that work when they tried airing the original MS Gundam back in the day?

FlyGuySempai wrote:

It still wouldn't hurt them to premiere new dubs of naruto and one piece, i mean, if they're gonna keep using their budget as an excuse then we might as well say goodbye to the block, they should take risks

Isn't taking risks part of the reason why the anime market is next to nonexistent in this country nowadays. Not to mention that as Toonami's on cable and airing in slots that most people won't watch taking risks at this point is hella unnecessary.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Having 10+ different half-hour shows back-to-back-to-back doesn't work, ESPECIALLY not when they're repeats. Lord knows there's enough new Naruto and One Piece to last years. Maybe they should air hour blocks of new episodes of each of those, along with single episodes of a couple of other new shows.

I've faithfully watched Toonami every single week (excluding the few months DISH screwed us over) since it's return and will continue to do so, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it. Something needs to change.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
If they aired a bunch of new episodes of a show at a time, then they'd get complaints from fans of the other shows about why their shows aren't on that day.

In regards to One Piece, FUNimation has only reached the end of the Thriller Bark arc. I don't know how far Viz has been going with Naruto though.

In any case, on most channels, reruns dominate their schedules. I don't really see why Toonami has to be different, especially when it's not cost-effective in the least.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Well, according to MAL and ANN ratings, MOST people that watch anime LOVE fate/zero ...so yeh. While overrated garbage like Kill la kill also have good ratings because they appeal to masses whose tastes have not be nurtured over the years.

Wow, that's not insulting at all. Thanks for helping me realize that my taste in Japanese cartoons is apparently not as "nurtured" as yours.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

How well did that work when they tried airing the original MS Gundam back in the day?

To be fair, 0079 is from the 70's, it's a hard sell. Stuff from the 90s did fairly well on toonami though.

They could air stuff from the mid-2000s or even from a few years back.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Legend of Korra is the only modern action oriented animated series I can think of that also happens to be comprised of half hour installments. But that's over now so I guess we're back to having nothing. There's also of course a lot of high quality animated series out there, but like some people stated earlier, they're all shorter in length and generally much lighter in tone. For example, I love Adventure Time, and it's a great example of a successful combination of off-beat comedy and emotional character growth and world building. but at its core it's still primarily a comedy. Someone mentioned Over the Garden Wall earlier, which I really liked. I actually don't think I could categorize that series very easily. It was very unique, in that it covered a variety of genres in its short run time. I should probably stop talking about western animation though, this IS Anime News Network after all.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The block will be reduced to 3 1/2 hours effective February 7th:
http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/109334851853/ch-ch-ch-changes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd categorize Over the Garden Wall as a monomyth and a coming-of-age story; considering it's intended to play out like a novel from the 19th century and its central conflict is Man vs. Self (Wirt dealing with his lack of confidence, more so than Wirt vs. The Beast), there isn't really a more specific category for it.

I have no idea how well it did, as it was definitely not a comedy, or at least not primarily one, and felt like a hard sell to the executives on every front. Maybe it was greenlit to win Annies and Emmies; if it's nominated in both, then I can see those awards as an opportunity to make non-comedic, more emotion-based works of western animation, as is what the Oscars does for movies.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'd categorize Over the Garden Wall as a monomyth and a coming-of-age story; considering it's intended to play out like a novel from the 19th century and its central conflict is Man vs. Self (Wirt dealing with his lack of confidence, more so than Wirt vs. The Beast), there isn't really a more specific category for it.

I have no idea how well it did, as it was definitely not a comedy, or at least not primarily one, and felt like a hard sell to the executives on every front. Maybe it was greenlit to win Annies and Emmies; if it's nominated in both, then I can see those awards as an opportunity to make non-comedic, more emotion-based works of western animation, as is what the Oscars does for movies.

The history of Over the Garden Wall in Wikipedia:

• Production for Over the Garden Wall commenced in March 2014. It marks the first miniseries on the network, with an order of ten episodes for the first season.[8] Created by Patrick McHale, a graduate of the California Institute of the Arts,[9] the show is based on the animated short film Tome of the Unknown, which he wrote and directed for Cartoon Network Studios as part of their shorts development program.[8]

McHale's original short, Tome of the Unknown, was screened at the 2014 Santa Barbara International Film Festival, where McHale earned the Bruce Corwin Award for best animated short film.[12] Meanwhile, at the 2013 Ottawa International Animation Festival, it received an honorable mention.[13]

The show was first envisioned in 2004 with a scarier and more adventure-based storyline. McHale pitched Garden Wall in 2006. He saw it as "a possible Halloween special", but had trouble adapting the premise with a larger story arc.[9] The network later asked him if he saw interest in developing a pilot, which led to him returning to his pitch, polishing it and pitching it again to the network.[10]:29 They ultimately settled upon the miniseries format, as McHale felt that it would lead to "something that felt higher quality than what we could do with a regular series".[9]

The ratings range 1.13-1.55 million viewers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5