• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri Kuma Arashi (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Kiss is "kisu" (キス) and love is "suki" (スキ). Basically it's a wordplay isn't used). There are probably other ways of interpretting it but with the context in this episode (4) the bluntest meaning would be kiss=Lulu's love (promise kiss) and Ginko's love (iirc the word suki is used a lot when it come to Ginko feeling and action toward Kureha). At least thinking of it this way make choosing one and giving up on the other make sense.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ep 4: When Sexy Life (or is it Life Sexy?) hummed "Shaba-da-doo" to the horror movie theme I lost it. That was hilarious! On that note...

It's the Toccata and Fugue in D minor, usually attributed to Johann Sebastian Bach. Don't worry, I once thought it was written for Rollerball. Whatever... I lost it also. It was an inspired moment.

My take on the bee is that to get the honey you must risk being stung.

I was struggling with the series until this episode. Now I've once again fallen under the Ikuhara charm. Much sooner than in either Utena or Penguindrum, I would add.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I was struggling with the series until this episode. Now I've once again fallen under the Ikuhara charm. Much sooner than in either Utena or Penguindrum, I would add.

Well, this show is only 12/13 episodes while the others are 20/30, it would be problematic if it wasn't Anime smile + sweatdrop
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
^
1997 Revolutionary Girl Utena 36 episodes, excluding recaps
2011 Penguindrum 24 episodes
2015 Yuri Kuma Arashi 12 episodes
2016 *Title yet to be announced* 0 episodes

I agree. It was running out of time to get seriously good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Blatant yuri makes me uncomfortable......but what really bothered me is the.........actually, no, the entire thing sounds too weird for me.

Can't blame ya on the weirdness. Laughing

Though to be fair, the weirdness do have some symbolic point, and it's surprisingly easily accessible and understandable ESPECIALLY compared to Penguindrum.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
In regards to comments in this thread: In order for this show to be homosexual in nature, doesn't this show have to have more than one sex of humans in it?

Yes, men are the Invisible Storm that break up the perfect yuri unions {should I put that in spoilers or what?} when it's not being torn apart by bears but there's more to life than Girls' Love.

There's Boys' Love too.

Still, this series is no more complex than Stephen Sondheim's "Hello Little Girl" song, only a lot more naïve as it seems to be advocating protecting loved ones from carnal knowledge rather than, well, life.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
^
1997 Revolutionary Girl Utena 36 episodes, excluding recaps

Since of two of those three recaps introduce important new information, make that 38.

Let's face it, Ikuni's dream shows are not always... marketable. And that's what gets you tons of episodes over multiple seasons.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
^
I was fudging the data for the sake of elegance. Wink
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
Re the bee around Lulu: I think it's a wasp. I'm open to correction but the long thin body and stinger suggested a wasp more than a bee. What are the distinguishing features of wasps compared to bees? 1) They're arseholes who sting at random 2) They don't make honey - and honey in this show seems to be a symbol of love. The wasp circling Lulu therefore represents both her loveless state and her resulting lashing out at others (specifically her little brother).

I'm interested to see where this is going. Ginko revealing that she's searching for a lost love - Kureha's mother - rather contradicts what we were led to believe in the first episodes, where she and Lulu seem to be just out to eat / have sex with as many girls as possible. But maybe the transition from one to the other will become clear later.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Haven't really posted much in this particular Yuri Kuma thread, focusing on the review thread, but I hope to change that up a little and maybe focus more on story and episode discussion here than the content of any reviews.

Anyway…. I'll already expressed some specific thoughts re: Yuri Kuma Arashi in this forum, particularly what I took away after the first episode in the Winter 2015 Preview Guide and what I came to feel regarding episodes 1-3 overall in the review thread. My musings basically amounted to me saying that the anime didn't seem to have a whole lot of depth. Or at least, it seemed to lack the depth and characterization that I had come to expect of something produced by Ikuhara; I still hadn't come to accept any of these characters as people (yes, including the bears-- I very much doubt the bears literally represent anything but people of some kind). It didn't exactly do me any favor from the get-go by being oriented towards the yuri-genre, but even going into the series prepared with that sense of ambivalence, I wasn't struck by any the characters at a personal and 'real' level.

So it was a pleasure to see that episode 4, to reiterate a newer point I made in the review thread, ended up being the best one for me so far. With this very character-centric episode (and on Lulu no less, who seemed little more than Ginko's bubblier sidekick before), there felt to be a more fundamentally 'human' dynamic that emotionally resonated with me more than the more in-your-face yuri antics that came in the episodes before. That it dealt with a different kind/concept of "love" also helped. (And for how black its comedy kind of was, it was fairly clean and funny! Reminded me of the episode having to do with Masako and her grandfather in Penguindrum, hah.) I know there are only 8 more episodes left, but I hope this episode won't be *too* much the exception from here on; it'll be cool to see Yuri Kuma expand its horizons beyond the narrower one that I had been envisioning before seeing episode 4.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Still, this series is no more complex than Stephen Sondheim's "Hello Little Girl" song, only a lot more naïve as it seems to be advocating protecting loved ones from carnal knowledge rather than, well, life.

I'm not sure if I follow this. An Ikuhara show is "advocating protecting loved ones from carnal knowledge?" Unless I'm misunderstanding and I hear it qualified otherwise, it sounds like you think the show is pushing a pseudo-puritanical perspective. And what do you mean by it protecting loved ones from that kind of knowledge "rather than, well, life"? Isn't carnal knowledge kind of embedded in 'life?'

Spleen wrote:
Re the bee around Lulu: I think it's a wasp. I'm open to correction but the long thin body and stinger suggested a wasp more than a bee. What are the distinguishing features of wasps compared to bees? 1) They're arseholes who sting at random 2) They don't make honey - and honey in this show seems to be a symbol of love. The wasp circling Lulu therefore represents both her loveless state and her resulting lashing out at others (specifically her little brother).

Interesting that it might actually be a wasp. Bee imagery might be more appropriate for a show involving 'bears', though. (But then maybe that bee/wasp confusion was deliberate? Hmmm…) However, I don't believe the bee ever attacked the brother. Mightn't the bug have only attacked those whose 'affections' (particularly not the genuine sort) she didn't at all accept or reciprocate, and so despite her attempts to kill Mirun, she at least actually tolerated him?

Maybe at some point, even Mirun outwore his welcome, and maybe the aforementioned-bee, off-screen, "caused" his death-- unconsciously on Lulu's part.

Quote:
I'm interested to see where this is going. Ginko revealing that she's searching for a lost love - Kureha's mother - rather contradicts what we were led to believe in the first episodes, where she and Lulu seem to be just out to eat / have sex with as many girls as possible. But maybe the transition from one to the other will become clear later.

Did she really reveal that her "lost love" was Kureha's mother specifically? Or did the show just insinuate that her 'lost love' is someone connected Kureha's mother-- i.e. Kureha herself? I don't believe Ginko ever said anything about who this 'lost love' was; all that was visually reinforced was that Ginko's star brooch (which becomes part of her headband in human form) is the same the mother wore. This was something that was noted by several viewers, actually, since the first episode.

Maybe Ginko and Kureha were long-lost childhood friends, perhaps? Maybe they had at least known each other since they were small children. Notice how child-like the human hand is when it touches the bear paw in the OP animation; that hand may have been Kureha's. (Been paying attention to that detail since at least the third episode.) It might not even be so crazy to think that Ginko is actually a half-sibling or sister not bound by blood-- a thought extrapolated from the notion that perhaps Kureha's mother, who was "eaten by a bear," had actually eloped and 'had a child' with a "bear," the bear-child (who may have even been adopted?) being Ginko.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

I'm not sure if I follow this. An Ikuhara show is "advocating protecting loved ones from carnal knowledge?" Unless I'm misunderstanding and I hear it qualified otherwise, it sounds like you think the show is pushing a pseudo-puritanical perspective. And what do you mean by it protecting loved ones from that kind of knowledge "rather than, well, life"? Isn't carnal knowledge kind of embedded in 'life?'

Even I don't always understand what I say, it sometimes take awhile for my cognitive reaction to catch up with my immediate one.

The meat of the show is the bear/girl interaction, what it means from the girls' point of view but also what it means from the bears. The show's two main bear protagonists think that the only way they can express their love of the humans is through eating them. Maybe they're not wrong for their species but their view's bound to evolve as they interact with them, feel possessive and jealous of their intended target {May as well bring it up now, as it's been gnawing on my mind ever since I saw the shotgun: Is this a really screwed up anime version of those Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd cartoons? "It's bear season! Yuri Season! Bear season!" and so on...}.

But what is the relationship between the two girls, is there anything there beyond a declaration, a pureness of motive? So why is the relationship between bears and human primal {every bear on girl "attack" starts with a knee between the legs, that's a lot more sexual than anything presumed between the girls; I'm going to have to start bringing up "rape" now, as if killing and eating them wasn't enough} and at the same time, essential to living for both {it's complicated}, while the human ones are, I said "idealized" before but I think the better description is "cleansed"? That one is cute and that one is protective and their relationship is nice, isn't it nice? But it's not adult, right? There's nothing "dangerous" about it, all the emotions pure and well intentioned and so it doesn't seem serious... oh right, this how Japan as a whole sees homosexual relationships.

But is this how the bears' "love" supposed to move, from the messy physical to the pure platonic? Or is Kuraha supposed to go from innocent to "knowing things"? At least the Sondheim play is saying that while the process can be messy {with a lot of implied rape}, it's going to happen, you can't stop it. Ikuhara seems to be advocating the third option, getting older without growing up.

The biggest problem with this show is that it's not telling a story but rather showing metaphors that are not only open to interpretation but also open to misinterpretation. The idea that episode four flashback story about the two sex society of bears is better received would seem to represent the fact that the audience can't get a feel for the world of the girls. "We can relate because we can project into that world".

In the show's own parlance, shock for kuma is more shocking than kuma shock.

Shock! Kuma shock!
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:
spoiler[Oh my goodness, that bear trap! How will they escape?! Hyped for next episode now. But for the latest episode, I just loved all the allusions with the bear feeding.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
That's one awesome, er, homage to Full Metal Jacket. Cool

BORN TO EAT.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

So the spoiler[general populace girls are making friends with her just so they can then exclude her], that is kind of a harsh type of bullying. Kind of odd seeing what looked like the free spirited tomboy go out of her way to be cruel. The crying after having hand spoiler[of friendship and forgiveness was not accepted, did seem really self indulgent]t.

And also spoiler[Ginko is really into her, in more than just hunger].
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The meat of the show is the bear/girl interaction, what it means from the girls' point of view but also what it means from the bears. The show's two main bear protagonists think that the only way they can express their love of the humans is through eating them. Maybe they're not wrong for their species but their view's bound to evolve as they interact with them, feel possessive and jealous of their intended target {May as well bring it up now, as it's been gnawing on my mind ever since I saw the shotgun: Is this a really screwed up anime version of those Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd cartoons? "It's bear season! Yuri Season! Bear season!" and so on...}.

But what is the relationship between the two girls, is there anything there beyond a declaration, a pureness of motive? So why is the relationship between bears and human primal {every bear on girl "attack" starts with a knee between the legs, that's a lot more sexual than anything presumed between the girls; I'm going to have to start bringing up "rape" now, as if killing and eating them wasn't enough} and at the same time, essential to living for both {it's complicated}, while the human ones are, I said "idealized" before but I think the better description is "cleansed"? That one is cute and that one is protective and their relationship is nice, isn't it nice? But it's not adult, right? There's nothing "dangerous" about it, all the emotions pure and well intentioned and so it doesn't seem serious... oh right, this how Japan as a whole sees homosexual relationships.

But is this how the bears' "love" supposed to move, from the messy physical to the pure platonic? Or is Kuraha supposed to go from innocent to "knowing things"? At least the Sondheim play is saying that while the process can be messy {with a lot of implied rape}, it's going to happen, you can't stop it. Ikuhara seems to be advocating the third option, getting older without growing up.

(Last quoted sentence bolded for my emphasis) If I remember correctly, you've seen Mawaru Penguindrum, but not Revolutionary Girl Utena, right? One of the themes that Utena was deeply concerned with, if not the most important theme, was that of growing up. "Getting older without growing up?" I believe it can be easily argued that the eventual 'antagonist' of Utena spoiler[actually advocated this position himself, in a sense; he definitely didn't want the others around him to "grow up" and was a bit of a man-child himself.] I'd be most surprised if Ikuhara somehow came to be in support of such a position.

So where does this leave Yuri Kuma Arashi? Considering that about everything relating to Sumika has been idealized, perhaps she's not so unlike the 'prince' that Utena Tenjou sought out-- a false or childish idealization of the one with whom she was 'fated' to be with, one that should be overcome or at least moved on from. And who might Kureha be led to cherish more than Sumika? That'd be Ginko-- though as we've already seen, she comes from a different extreme of primal 'love.'

Quote:
The biggest problem with this show is that it's not telling a story but rather showing metaphors that are not only open to interpretation but also open to misinterpretation. The idea that episode four flashback story about the two sex society of bears is better received would seem to represent the fact that the audience can't get a feel for the world of the girls. "We can relate because we can project into that world".

Good point. Maybe that's not how it is in many parts of Japan, but I am very used to being part of a world where boys and girls have regularly intermingled since grade school, so there is more of a distance between myself (a guy) and the setting of an all-girls school where males don't seem to even be allowed to get anywhere near it. (There haven't even been any male background characters, save for Lulu's father, the king, in the flashback episode.) Currently, the only males that had or have any sort of presence in the show are either the Judgments, who don't seem to be much more than symbols of patriarchy almost halfway into the series, or Mirun, Lulu's brother. Wonder if there'll be any surprise male characters or developments, or if that'll really end up mattering to whatever ultimate points the anime will try to make.

-----

It was a fine installment, episode 5 of Yuri Kuma Arashi. It definitely would be a tough act to follow after Lulu's flashback episode, but I think I still expected something more. It was kind of neat that they finally got to straight out showing that Kureha and Ginko spoiler[did know each other in the past (which has already been alluded to with the star pendant and even that moment in the OP animation) while still keeping us in the dark on many specifics. Why was Ginko found by Kureha on a snow-covered battlefield full of fallen soldier-bears, for instance? Was that actually where Ginko was recovered? Was some allusion being made to the early life circumstances of the inspiration for Winnie the Pooh, Winnipeg the Bear? I wonder how much longer the series is going to hold off on the 'complete' nature of their past relationship.]

I'm definitely troubled that spoiler[Kaoru, a distinctively tomboyish and cool-looking girl who may have been a reasonable candidate for 'best girl,' might just be 'worst girl!'] Though then again, I guess it's thanks to her that we got that ending twist! If Kaoru sticks around for more than one episode, I hope to get some more character development out of her, rather than largely just what episode 5 painted her as.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8