• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you get embarrased by the Anime you have?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
If collecting something like this doesn't bother you, you will have no difficulty with embarrassment.

Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I am very much embarrassed by my interests. I don't like letting other people know much about my interests outside of things that are very 'safe', which is to say very 'respectable', although those things are so arcane and boring to most that the mention of them makes most eyes glaze over. Anime, manga and things like that, however, will draw intrusive, potentially pestering attention that I'd rather not surrender to. I'm not even comfortable discussing it with others, even sometimes friends, who have similar interests.

I'm having some closet fixtures installed tomorrow and I just finished covering my manga shelves, which are close to the closet where the installation will be done, with spare towels. Books like The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's Ancient Languages or Perfecting Parliament will make most eyes roll up into people's heads in such a way that they might as well be invisible, but the colorful spines with strange or, though rare in my case, provocative images of manga seem dangerously likely to attract attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I am very much embarrassed by my interests. I don't like letting other people know much about my interests outside of things that are very 'safe', which is to say very 'respectable', although those things are so arcane and boring to most that the mention of them makes most eyes glaze over. Anime, manga and things like that, however, will draw intrusive, potentially pestering attention that I'd rather not surrender to. I'm not even comfortable discussing it with others, even sometimes friends, who have similar interests.

I'm having some closet fixtures installed tomorrow and I just finished covering my manga shelves, which are close to the closet where the installation will be done, with spare towels. Books like The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's Ancient Languages or Perfecting Parliament will make most eyes roll up into people's heads in such a way that they might as well be invisible, but the colorful spines with strange or, though rare in my case, provocative images of manga seem dangerously likely to attract attention.

I tried not to read this in Orson Welles's voice from The Critic.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
I threw away my dignity long ago. When I was younger I would have been a little embarrassed though. I remember not wanting people to know I watched Sailor Moon. Now I have figures of them displayed proudly. I also have a bunch of NIS boxes on my shelves. That includes both Nyaruko sets. Honestly it never even occurred to me that they might be embarrassing; but looking at them now I guess they kind of are.Oh well. It's not as though I get many women in my place to see them. Crying or Very sad
GuilewasNK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't get embarrassed.

I am a collector and buy almost anything. Good, bad, comedy, drama, harem, action, whatever. I have a very large collection and display it with no issue or concern.

That being said, I wouldn't let my nephews just start going through my anime DVD shelves any more than I would my "regular" DVD shelves or video games. My nephew likes Plants vs. Zombies and he doesn't need to see me playing GTA V.

That's not embarrassment, that's just being a responsible adult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2