• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Falcoming Home

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Here come the usuals, bashing anything western while tripping over themselves to praise glorious Nippon. Do you people ever just stop talking about things you clearly don't like?

@Tamaria

You just described how any mainstream publication works. You really think an establishment going for big audiences is going to give huge time to a niche series? No, of course not. No realistic person would think that. No sane person should hold that against them. Of course posters here do and like to leverage that as some huge conspiracy that IGN dosen't give attention to your niche series. Oh no! The horror! Even ANN dosen't give as much attention to obscure 70s robot shows compared to what they give Attack on Titan.

This is true in Japan as well. Falcom is a niche developer there. They get looked over for your Capcoms, Sqaures, Level 5s, Nintendos, and Namcos. Their games receives 7 and 8s and nowhere near as much talk as the latest DQ, Yokai Watch, FF, MH, and so on. They sell decently, but nowhere close to the more popular series. Does Falcom receive more attention in Japan? Of course, but not that much in the grand schemes.

Regardless, Falcom's games score well and receive plenty of attention. They are not treated poorly at all and they aren't brushed off as "oh thier just Japanese games". Does that happen to some Japanese games? Yes, otku fair. Sorry, that's a niche in a niche. No it dosen't get it's fair shake, but is it even supposed to? Falcom's games are far better revered then those types, making this argument moot.

And here we go with the ignorant attacks from are usuals.

Quote:

With a few exceptions of the bigger known titles, western gaming sites always write Japanese games off, that's no surprising. Perhaps it's for the best, though. We don't need prudish eyes glancing at the medium already more than they already do.
Yep, Japanese games are written off. Except the games from Atlus, Nintendo, Sqaure, Konami, NIS, Capcom, Xseed, ....actually no this is the most blatant lie in this thread. What you're trying to do is make very blanket statements that are in the end extremely unfounded. Plenty of Japanese games are not only talked about plenty, but they are also well reviewed. I'm sorry, not every review is going to agree with you. Are Japanese games in vogue? They sure weren't for awhile, but regardless the fact was there were many Japanese games that were praised. I mean Jesus Christ Atlus of all companies has been the golden boy since Persona 4 back in 08. There is no anti-Japanese thing going on. For every negative article, there is a positive one, but people like you annoyingly like to cherry pick every little thing while ignoring anything that says otherwise. Even the Dragons Crown thing is overblown by you people. A dude had a problem with the designs. Om my good! That dosen't mean you need to label him a prude, because he dosen't agree with you. What are you a child? Of course you must be because you've chosen to generalize everyone now as a prude. A logical conclusions only a narrow minded child would come to. The game was well reviced regardless of whatever people thought so whatever.

Quote:
Trying to apply American values and standards to foreign products. It'd just cause unneeded controversy.
No, it only upsets and matters to people like you have a problem with people having opinions on your precious Japanese games. Any mature individual can understand where someone is coming from and then chose to either agree or disagree while not crying about it. You people should try it some time.
Quote:

Though I am reminded of this one hilarious review of Oath in Felghana that called it sadistic, unfair, and horrible and how it wasn't linear or held your hand like modern games do. Most mainstream reviewers would probably find the Ys games too hard and difficult. It's Metacritic average is 73, which tells you a lot.
Please, show us the review that you are clearly cherry picking or just simply pulling it out of your ass. Please also make sure its from an actual relevant site as to make your point about western media. And yes a 73 is pretty good score. In line with the 7 and 8's from the Famitsu score. The same most Falcom games get from that Japanese mag. 73 is pretty good for what is a good, but not great game.
Quote:

Your post was more of a strawman than anything anyone here said, nice. Could you instead elaborate why find the claims made in this thread to be false?
Please, this is just more bullcrap from you. Could you actually back up these claims without any actual manipulation and complete disingenuous arguments? None of these claims are 100% true and are complete generalizations.

Points like these:

Quote:
It's a pity the West, more specifically critics, don't share that same opinion and many just write Falcom off as just another Japanese dev.

Quote:
With a few exceptions of the bigger known titles, western gaming sites always write Japanese games off, that's no surprising. Perhaps it's for the best, though. We don't need prudish eyes glancing at the medium already more than they already do. Trying to apply American values and standards to foreign products. It'd just cause unneeded controversy.

Are the definition of generalizations, because people like you just chose examples and run with them, while ignoring any of the things that run counter.

Kotaku said something negative about Dragon's Crown.

Kotaku runs positive articles about NIS.

Yet, you people chose to only highlight the first part.

Poloygon talks about the sexism in Bayonetta 2

Usgamer talks positively about the sex in the game.

You of course only focus on the first part.

Giantbomb is'nt the best followers of Japanese games.

Many 1up alumni, US gamer people, and the retronauts talk super postive about Japanese games.

You ignore that and instead try and say "ALL US REVIEWERS DISLIKE JAPANESE GAMES"

Never mind that something like Dragonroupa has been a critical darling with 999 and GPD before.

Of course you ignore that and claim oh they dislike Idea Factory's(it's always thier or someone else like them's games) crap so they hate Japanese games. Ignoring that those games are niche and meh reviewed even in Japan and on Japanese centric sites like rpgfan and Siliconera anyway. Maybe these games just aren't good? I don't know, I don't care but I'm not going to cry foul because these western publications don't care or really review these games that are obscure even in thier home country. Let alone, hardly well regarded.

Hell, Kotaku even had an article claiming Monster Monopiece was a good game. Oh no they didn't care for the art that puts young looking characters in provocative potions. The horror! How they hate Japanese games!

For whatever reason you continue to push this persecution complex while ignoring every single damn thing that runs counter against that, because it dosen't support your narrative. All while failing to realize that your narrative deals with the opinions of so many people that it's impossible for there to actually be one narrative at all. For every person that dislikes Japanese games, there are many more that do. No, they do not cover small Japanese games as well as big American games. My god, western publications giving more attention to western games? Christ. I wonder if Japan gives big coverage to Far Cry 4? Oh wait, they're too busy giving coverage to Yokai Watch. Which by the way Kotaku has also written about.

Quote:
If you have issues with the criticisms against reviewers, offer counter points, don't just hurl insults.
yet when people do that all you do ignore and continue to make ignorant unfounded claims.

Quote:
How sad is it when a small company like Compile Heart more competent than million dollar companies like Ubisoft or Bungie.
No sad at all? You're comparing a small, cheaply made and simple game to huge complex games. While it's somewhat in-excusable in regards to AC. The west delivers plenty of complex big budget games with little bugs regularly.

Quote:
But When you say "Disgaea gets so much praise" who are you referring to exactly? Which sites and which games? Indie sites or sites like Siliconera which focus on Japanese games would praise it probably, but not so much Kotaku or Polygon who'd probably just rant against the designs or something. I just looked at Polygon gave Disgaea D2 a 6.5. Oh well.
You tell people to actually argue and back up thier claims, while you make ignorant and unfounded claims. Great. Yes, one ok review from Polygon really destroys the claim. Yep, all western critics hate Disgea.

Except for the fact that many of the various Disgea games have received good reviews from almost every major website. Thats a fact. Why don't you actually look these things up before arguing them?

You know who gave D2 a 91? IGN. Yes, western places write off all Japanese games.

Quote:
Are you comparing Neptunia to multi-million dollar bug budget games like Call of Duty or something? Neptunia's graphics are fine. Aesthetics always trump fidelity, and Tsunako's art is one of my favorites. She's a great artist and designer. And graphics don't matter if your game is unplayable or broken. Maybe companies should spend lest time on individual hair physics and more on bug fixes.
You're the one comparing them. That's why the comparison came up.....

I think Neptunia's aesthetics are ugly. Tsunako makes the most generic looking anime crap that I can't stand. I don't hate Japanese games though and just because someone has that opinion dosen't mean they have some anti-Japanese bias.

And no, aesthetics don't always trump fidelity and if they did whats your point? You kind of just destroyed your argument right there. Why even bring up that these western games have bugs if fidelity dosen't matter? Oh, because you're incredible anti-western bias is showing. Assassins Creed make beautiful artistically strong games. The aesthetics of Destiny are fantastic. CoD games are extremely well realized in what aesthetics they are going for. Just because you don't like them dosen't mean they are weak or bad as your argument tries to discredit them ass. Aesthetically these games are great, you just refuse to acknowledge that.

Quote:
I see the Western game industry has not changed much. The graphics still takes the precedence over the aesthetics, it's a shame.
You people only see aesthetics from your narrow minded perspective.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is an aesthetically strong game. The art design delivers everything it sets out to do. It is all very well realized and if you like that type it is a very good looking game.

This is the same for plenty of AAA western games. Gears, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Batman, Battlefield, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Tomb Raider, Infamous SS, Killzone, and so on all push thier graphics to deliver thier strong art direction.

You people write them off because your taste don't fall in line with them. But instead of choosing to just say "i don't like this", you make inane arguments in an attempt to discredit these things you don't like and make any narrative you can to prop up the things you like.

It's sickening and annoying.

#831978 wrote:

Graphics don't make a game, man. I'd take Neptunia's art and designs over triple AAA game's art anyday. At least they're attractive and aren't just the same dull brown and grey stuff and have personality to them.
And this is why no one can take any of these arguments seriously. It's so close minded and swimming in un-healthy bias.

You can not like western games. Fine, but that is is such a shallow and vapid argument, that it's hilarious anyone would use it. You wear the color ignorant the moment you press post with this crap.

1st, I find Neptunia's art super generic. It's subject material lame and pandering, with little to offer. This argument can easily be made. It's not like it's art is unique in the pool of cute anime girl games.

But this painting with a wide brush for western games is so unfounded. You don't even try to hide your shame.

Even the quote on quote dudebro games like Battlefield have a distinguishable style. Battlefield looks nothing like CoD and while of course trying to look "realistic" the art direction and asthetic choices add a unique look. Battlefield 4 especially is not a brown game, it is full of color and the way Dice works with shaders, coloring and whatnot makes for a game with Dice's own personality and look.

But thier are plenty of AAA western games that aren't brown and full of personality.

Pretty much all of Rockstar's library, Mirror's Edge, Tomb Raider(yes it's art direction conveyed it's tone and thus full of personality), The Last of Us, Enslaved, DMC, The Arkham Games, Lords of Shadow, Sunset Overdrive, Remember Me, Infamous SS, Killzone ShadowFall, The Witcher, Crackdown, Halo 4, Alan Wake, Alice Madness Returns, Prince of Persia, Boarderlands, Saints Row 3/4, Destiny, Far Cry 4, Rayman, Bioshock Infinite, Alien Isolation(aesthetics up it's ass) and really so much more.

You do not have to like these games, but you can not paint them all with the same brush. Yet, what makes Nyptunnia special? It just looks like anime, which is a dime a dozen. It's character designs can blend into any other anime girl game.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:44 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
I see the Western game industry has not changed much. The graphics still takes the precedence over the aesthetics, it's a shame. As usual the nasty habit of judging by the cover hasn't subsided yet. And no, most prominent western reviewers don't know how to review the games that are not apparently well-known overseas. Case in point, Godhand, Wonderful 101, Atelier Franchise.

It's a problem with fanboys too. I see a lot of fans arguing over graphics. Graphics don't make a game to me. I grew up on Atari and those games were fun but the graphics sucked. I always value style over realism. If everything looks realistic then what's the difference between them or real life, you know? I prefer spitework and celshading artstyles over realism anyday even if they're technically inferior to realism. Style over fidelity IMO.

IMO reviews are not an issue of obscurity, it's an issue of no benefit to the websites. There's really no benefit for sites to push Japanese games. Indie developers are obscure, but you see them get promoted all the time by websites and writers. That's because there's something to be gained from promoting them. Most of the gaming press and indie dev scene live in San Francisco with each other so they're all in close proximity which allows a big networking opportunity. They're all friends, which raises a lot of ethical questions but ignoring that there's business reasons to value indie developers over Japanese developers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:

Japanese games have been accepted in the US and EU for 35 years. In fact, many westerners for a time had a view that western games sucked compared to Japanese ones, which was kinda true at THAT time. Until the mid 2000s, Japanese games dominated the US and EU markets. The Japanese have yet to accept western games and systems.

Well, not that I perpetuate it, remember the term "yo-ge, kuso-ge" came from Japan.
So Japan isn't really in any position to complain when the term is turned back around on them.

Still, all this whining about Japanese games getting criticized doesn't hold water. In fact, Western games get criticized much more than Japanese games. Let's take, for example, Western and Japanese games that's almost unanimous one of the best games in recent years. For Western games, let's say, The Last of Us. You would find more criticisms of that game than any Japanese game that's one of the best games in recent years.

#831978 wrote:

Graphics don't make a game to me. I grew up on Atari and those games were fun but the graphics sucked.

Yeah, graphics don't make a game. Gameplay makes a game.
But at the same time, aesthetics don't make a game neither. Yet there are those who'd see cute girls (or boys) in a game and forgive almost everything else, such as horrible gameplay (*cough*firstneptunia*cough*).
Both graphics fans and aesthetics fans are just 2 sides of the same coin. They just don't realize it.

#831978 wrote:

I always value style over realism. If everything looks realistic then what's the difference between them or real life, you know? I prefer spitework and celshading artstyles over realism anyday even if they're technically inferior to realism. Style over fidelity IMO.

Now this is opinion (IMO as you said), and you're entitled to it.
But also remember, people have long been pining for the Star Trek holodeck - and that's as realistic a game as you'd ever get. So many people prefer realism too, depending on the type of game (like automobile races, some people prefer Mario Kart; some people prefer Gran Turismo).
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
I honestly am not a fan of that redesign. I like that the sorceress was showing more skin and I think it complemented her body form more than that weird swimsuit looking thing that just doesn't look flattering on her. Sorry if it may be politically incorrect to say nowadays, but I LOVE bikini armor. It's a shame it's so often considered too lewd. I think it's just the perfect level of lewd personally.

Also, it's a shame about Criminal Girls. It just shows some games will not go without that kind of butchery outside Asian nations. I hope Japanese games takes off in Steam and Steam allows for uncensored editions. There's already some Japanese games that are playing loose with uncensor-patches on Steam as is.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Hey, folks.

By all means be as passionate/casual, smart/dumb, informed/ignorant as you want to be. Write posts of 2000 words or more; use your rhetorical skills to the utmost.

But please don't abuse the people you disagree with. Arguments are fun. Abuse isn't.

Thanks for your consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

@Tamaria

You just described how any mainstream publication works. You really think an establishment going for big audiences is going to give huge time to a niche series? No, of course not. No realistic person would think that. No sane person should hold that against them. Of course posters her do and like to leverage that as some huge conspiracy that IGN dosen't give attention to your niche series. Oh no! The horror! Even ANN dosen't give as much attention to obscure 70s robot shows compared to what they give Attack on Titan.

This is true in Japan as well. Falcom is a niche developer there. They get looked over for your Capcoms, Sqaures, Level 5s, Nintendos, and Namcos. Their games receives 7 and 8s and nowhere near as much talk as the latest DQ, Yokai Watch, FF, MH, and so on. They sell decently, but nowhere close to the more popular series. Does Falcom receive more attention in Japan? Of course, but not that much in the grand schemes.

Regardless, Falcom's games score well and receive plenty of attention. They are not treated poorly at all and they aren't brushed off as "oh thier just Japanese games". Does that happen to some Japanese games? Yes, otku fair. Sorry, that's a niche in a niche. No it dosen't get it's fair shake, but is it even supposed to? Falcom's games are far better revered then those types, making this argument moot.

And here we go with the ignorant attacks from are usuals.

As if niche means anything anymore. Anything well-known members of the press/publications latch onto can become big.

Giving a game like Ys: Memories of Celceta big previews and reviews will make sure it doesn't fly under readers' radars. Put it in top something-somethings and they're more likely to remember it as a classic.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
From the article:

"Falcom faces another challenge: their games often don't stand out at a glance. Artwork for Ys titles and Trails in the Sky reflects a familiar anime-fantasy aesthetic, superficially much the same as any humdrum RPG of the PlayStation 2 era. The Ys games tend to tell much the same story,
Rarely as experimental as larger publishers, Falcom lacks an Earthbound, a Valkyrie Profile, a Vagrant Story, or a Panzer Dragoon Saga.
"

This quote pretty much explains my impression of Falcom. They make solid games, but aesthetically and mechanically, their games don't really stand out. All those games mentioned in the last sentence have unique settings and interesting mechanics. It's something I don't I really see in most Falcom games. That said, it's not a bad thing at all, since their games are very consistent quality-wise.

#831978 wrote:
Graphics don't make a game, man. I'd take Neptunia's art and designs over triple AAA game's art anyday. At least they're attractive and aren't just the same dull brown and grey stuff and have personality to them.

You're right, AAA western games like Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3, and Saints Row IV look so brown and grey. Especially compared to Neptunia's bright colors, perky boobs, and striped panties. /s

The Neptunia games aren't really that different from a Call of Duty in terms of aesthetic marketing. There's a certain aesthetic that the audience wants and the developers will stick to that look as long as the fans want it. The CoD crowd want gruff dudes and the Neptunia crowd wants cute girls. As a company, if that's what your audience likes, then that's what you give them.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
It's always fun to try to play the underdog, but the anime fandom has some of the worst hipster bullcrap. "American reviewers don't know how great this awesome obscure game is and just gives it crap ratings."

Some of the double standards in here toward western games are getting out of hand. Rahxephon91 pretty much addressed all the points, but I'll just add that all of the mainstream gaming sites will have at least one reviewer who "specializes" in Japanese games or at least jrpgs. Kotaku and Destructoid especially, have given many good or fair reviews of Japanese games, especially NIS and Compile Heart games in Destructoid's case. Most gaming sites are past that phase of calling a game "very Japanese" as an insult.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Some of the double standards in here toward western games are getting out of hand. Rahxephon91 pretty much addressed all the points, but I'll just add that all of the mainstream gaming sites will have at least one reviewer who "specializes" in Japanese games or at least jrpgs. Kotaku and Destructoid especially, have given many good or fair reviews of Japanese games, especially NIS and Compile Heart games in Destructoid's case. Most gaming sites are past that phase of calling a game "very Japanese" as an insult.

I can at least give Destructoid or RPGfan or Game Revolution full credits for giving out fair reviews to the games coming out of both eastern and western regions. At least I recognise they do seem to take their jobs very seriously. On the other hand, Gamespot, IGN or Edge sometimes borders a little more than biased.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
You're right, AAA western games like Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3, and Saints Row IV look so brown and grey. Especially compared to Neptunia's bright colors, perky boobs, and striped panties. /s

Outliers that buck the trend does not disprove that there is a trend, however. Witcher 3 and Saints Row IV look really generic to me. I dislike that CG look the majority of western games have. Borderlands is the only real modern game that attempted to try something different, but even the existance of that does not change the fact that most modern games use a realistic CG look. Games like The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, Witcher, Dragon Age Inquisition and Call of Duty don't have an art style that stands out to me and just run together in my eyes and I can't tell one artist's work from another, if there even is a single artist behind those games and it's not just a group design by the studio. I think we can all idenity art styles like Nomura's, Yasuda's, and Tsunako's. I like that.

I wonder if Americans just prefer CG. Every new animated movie that comes out is CG and hand drawn animation is extint. Maybe there's an idea that a non realistic game would not be taken as seriously as a realistic looking CG one. Most games seem to want to be taken very seriously these days. I just yern for more diversity. Are there any games that use sprites or 2D artwork that are not indie games? It doesn't seem like they exist like it does in Japanese games. Atelier Shallie was one of my favorite games last year and I found it really beautiful, but I've never seen an American game with an art style similar to it.

I don't think you can really limit these complaints to just fans of Japanese games, though. There's criticism of this in the western industry as well. One of the biggest complaints are the lack of diversity, and I agree the lack of diversity really turns me off to most of these games.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
It really would be easier, if these posters simply said they don't like western games and would shut up about them. Simply, own up to your bias and be done with it. Much better then writing up some inane rationale to make you feel better that you simply are on the other side of the coin.

Quote:
Outliers that buck the trend does not disprove that there is a trend, however
At this point, no matter how many games people throw at you, you're no going to let go of this unfounded claim. You may not like the art direction of these games, but there is no trend. In this thread more then a small share of AAA western franchises have been thrown out that are anything but simply brown and grey, yet of course this is ignored.

Meanwhile the same rhetoric of aesthetics basically only being "Japanese games I like" is pushed which hilariously ignores that aesthetics aren't tied down to one thing and of course an art direction going for realism would of course be all about aesthetics.

Which then turns into a hilarious cry for diversity from people who don't actually want that. They just want thier "Japanese anime art", because all they do is cry about "games that look realistic" forgetting that in a diverse area, there is room for such a direction. There would have to be. Beyond, that ignoring that all these games even if they go for realistic visuals all look different. No, it's easier for these disingenuous posters to paint with a wide brush.
Quote:

Games like The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, Witcher, Dragon Age Inquisition and Call of Duty don't have an art style that stands out to me and just run together in my eyes and I can't tell one artist's work from another, if there even is a single artist behind those games and it's not just a group design by the studio. I think we can all idenity art styles like Nomura's, Yasuda's, and Tsunako's.
Well that's you and your narrow minded. None of those games look at all the same and nothing looks like them. Anyone else can recognize those series on the visuals and artistic motifs of those series.

Also, you're talking about character designs. Not art direction. Nomura designs characters. He is not in charge of design everything, nor is he in control of the art direction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
For me, Trails in the Sky was a completely unforgettable experience. The imagery in the opening theme where the protagonists look out into the endless land evokes this desire in the players to reach out and explore the game's vast landscape. Watching the characters adventuring through that unexpected, dramatic, and beautiful world really makes you wish you were those characters.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
It really would be easier, if these posters simply said they don't like western games and would shut up about them. Simply, own up to your bias and be done with it. Much better then writing up some inane rationale to make you feel better that you simply are on the other side of the coin.

People have admitted to their preference in gaming. The problem is certain people then get upset when they don't like the answer and then usually end up hostile and unfriendly about it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
No the problem is that you and posters like you can't stop at simply stating thier preferences and instead need to post in every single thread about how the things they don't like are inferior and bad. Then you most especially try to spin it is as being fair and balanced when your posts are anything but.
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Anyone else can recognize those series on the visuals and artistic motifs of those series.

Really? Laughing I thought a lot of people had the same complaint around the interweb about games looking too samey
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
So because they are FPS they are all the same? Yep, the same vapid and shallow arguments from the same people.

Killzone and Medal of Honor look nothing alike. The fact that you would even post that already proves you're an idiot. Killzone's harsh Geiger meets Nazi sci-fi look is unique it's own and quite honestly does not come close to the cartoony realism of Medal of Honor 2010. MoH used a somewhat "cartoony" lighting, and moddeling, and shader technique to offset it's realistic visuals. Was it a brown game? Well, yes it took place in the middle east, but the game was high on a very light tan color palate. Which looks nothing like Killzone 2/3 which are even separate from Shadowfall.

Regardless, none of them even play the same. Killzone is heavy on it's cover system that at times feels like the pace of a trench warfare game. They were far weightier and slower paced then the CoD gunning of MoH which in itself was slower paced and attempting less hectic and over the top action of CoD.

So yes you can tell those games apart from CoD. Unless of course your blind or just have an overwhelming bias.

CoD may be the poster boy for all this, but whatever. I fail to see the problem when CoD's art direction achieves exactly what it sets out to do. You people keep arguing for diversity, yet these three games look and play differently. Yet, in diversity there has to be room for games that decide to look realistic.

So do you have an actual argument? Or are you just going to vomit up vapid points. Since you decided to post that manipulated and shallow picture complete with a vague (oh but other idiots like me also make terrible narrow minded arguments) then I'm going to assume you don't. Par the course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4