• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are 12/13 episode series just ads for the manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
I think it all depends on the show and how it was written. I remember watching the 49th episode of Get Backers and feeling like it was an ad for the manga. There are other long running series that run out of steam/source material/viewers/etc. that end so abruptly, I am left with a very frustrated and unsatisfied feeling. Especially so when I realise the manga is not licensed or available for me to continue. I have become very wary of Shounen Jump adaptations for that reason. So many of them will have unresolved, "gecko" endings. Unless the property becomes a big hit, it is unlikely we will ever get more.

OTOH, I can think of a few 13 (or less) episode series that I thought told their story very well. Two of which come to mind immediately are Noitamina series based on the manga of Natsume Ono - Ristorante Paradiso and The House of Five Leaves. Even though the manga upon each of those show was based continued past the ending of the anime, the writing for each of these shows was so competently done the endings were very satisfying to me.

Other shows I can think of are Antique Bakery, No.6, Tsuritama, Mononoke, Tatami Galaxy, and quite a few that have already been mentioned above ( Baccano!, Haibane Renmei, and Zakuro ).

I just recently made an order for two recent 13 episode shows which I loved enough to shell out my money: Hozuki no Reitetsu and Uchōten Kazoku. Both of these were 13 episodes.

Sometimes the 1 cour episode format results in a tighter script, with less filler and more meat. That is, if it is done right (and yeah, it occurs to me that many of my favorite example are Noitamina productions) Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3