• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
This just seems like such an obvious Funi pick up. Thing is I wonder if they license for home release a title they haven't streamed first these days.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17:

Great episode. spoiler[Not only was the action good with the coordination and fighting tactics, but it also showed a different side of Reiko. She is willing to betray her fellow parasites and even protect a human baby. I'd say she's becoming quite human herself. I bet she questions herself why she did that but the show maintains great characterization so we'll see soon with the conversation between her and Shinchi next time.]

Can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Parasites' inner society conflicts.
Tamura sure is one tough cookie.
She might be off her rocker too.
Or she just evolved into something more.
Satomi ran into Tamura unexpectedly.
Luckily both of them didn't know each other.
P.I. finally bought the farm..
Now the police knows about Tamura.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
3 vs. 1 and Tamura Reiko shows exactly how to overcome the odds of an unfair fight. Surprising she opted not to use the second attack pattern hinted at in the last quarter, but there's no arguing with the effectiveness of her strategy.

Kuramori spoiler[bites the dust, but it's surprising that Tamura Reiko actually decided to save the child. Perhaps her comrades were right when they said she'd strayed too far to the side of humans. ]

Why would spoiler[Reiko ask Shinich to meet her at the park at the specified time? ] It certainly wasn't with the intention to have a free for all involving 3 parties.

Now that the police are on the case, what will happen next between Tamura and Izumi? Is Murano going to witness something extraordinary next episode?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
It's truly unfortunate that they are giving us heavy spoiler[death flags for Reiko this episode. The fact that she's invited Shinichi and has her baby with her makes it seem like she is getting ready to die and plans to either hand her baby over to him, or she just wants him to see how she has evolved. Either way, she appears ready to be killed off next episode. This was only emphasized at the end with the snow fall. White/Snow is almost always used as a symbol of death in these types of shows.]

It's too bad because spoiler[she is by far the best character in this show so far. But, a lot of times I guess writers feel they can get the greatest impact on their audience by killing off the best character.] It likely forces more discussion and deep thought about the show.

Whether that happens or not though, I am having a blast with this show. It's without a doubt one of the top shows from last year and will also remain one of the top shows this year. As I mentioned in the review talkback, it is really interesting how this show compares with Tokyo Ghoul. There is so much depth explored in this show whereas Tokyo Ghoul seems content with a much more superficial level of commentary on similar topics. It's just another one of many examples of the difference between substance (Parasyte) and spectacle (Tokyo Ghoul).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

The detective was not quite a spoiler[hero, it sounded like he really did intend to kill the baby]. Reiko must have called spoiler[Shinichi because he would be the best to get the baby out of there]. Reiko has been one of the best characters, and I kind of spoiler[hope she gets out alive].
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
Idiot 1: "Alright guy we're gonna kill Reiko"

Idiot 2: "Wowow she's really strong"

Idiot 3: "Yeah we should go and face her the three of us so we have a fighting chance"

Idiot 1: "Well okay, but we'll only fight her one at a time, we won't attack her all at the same time"

Idiot 2: "Okay make sense, and if something unexpected happen we'll need someone to make sure they stand around doing nothing, especially not pursuing an helpless enemy"

All three idiot: "Deal!"

Who said parasite were always logical?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Idiot 1: "Well okay, but we'll only fight her one at a time, we won't attack her all at the same time"

Idiot 2: "Okay make sense, and if something unexpected happen we'll need someone to make sure they stand around doing nothing, especially not pursuing an helpless enemy"

All three idiot: "Deal!"

Who said parasite were always logical?

About the last two:

Old man parasyte made the first move, but Tamura fled to spoiler[the high beams of a construction yard to limit the number of effective opponents at any one time. Had she been a few seconds late, the other two would have also started attacking her by the looks of things. When the camera pans up to the two idle ones, it looks like they've only just caught up and are watching from the top when Tamura does her unusual move. ]

Since neither parasyte spoiler[ have any idea what Reiko just happened, is it that illogical that the male ran after the laughing Reiko body while the other stayed behind to see what was going on? Furthermore, the woman protested vehemently when she was under attack despite being on the same side ]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
It is a good point that meiam made, but it didn't bother me so much because this is how anime almost always handles these types of situations. It's very rare for multiple people to all attack one at the same time because it is much more dramatic for them to do one on one fights. It's probably also more cheap since animating multiple people engaged in the same battle probably involves lots more work and time, and thus money.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
It is a good point that meiam made, but it didn't bother me so much because this is how anime almost always handles these types of situations. It's very rare for multiple people to all attack one at the same time because it is much more dramatic for them to do one on one fights. It's probably also more cheap since animating multiple people engaged in the same battle probably involves lots more work and time, and thus money.

Anyone with the source material care to comment (with spoilers) whether or not the parasytes actually did go all out or left it on an individual basis?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Anyone with the source material care to comment (with spoilers) whether or not the parasytes actually did go all out or left it on an individual basis?

Also, I would still expect this type of thing in the manga as well, so I wasn't trying to make a distinction between the manga and the anime. The cost issue wouldn't be as much of an issue for manga, but one-on-one fights is a well tread staple of many different mediums - including comics and manga. It allows them to amp up the drama significantly, often by way of verbal sparring, eye-contact, dramatic pauses, posing, etc. I wouldn't normally see reliance on one-on-one battles as a big flaw in any type of medium because it is such a common and effective device. I do think it is a fair criticism, because it is pretty unrealistic, but it's one of those things we give them a pass on.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
You can't please everyone, whether via choice of stylistic mediums or with respect to "realism" inside an art form that isn't expected to conform tightly with the laws of physics.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
You can't please everyone, whether via choice of stylistic mediums or with respect to "realism" inside an art form that isn't expected to conform tightly with the laws of physics.

It has nothing to do with physic and everything to do with just basic logic, way before she even attack the old man you can actually see the other two parasite right behind Ryoko in the building and there just… standing there doing nothing. That doesn't break any law of physic, it's just really dumb and would have been easily avoided by not placing them there, it's just a poor stylistic choice.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Shinichi passed the Uragami test.
A human parasite detector, interesting.
That was a close one..
School life was kinda nice, but a blank line for Shinichi.
After all he's been through, it's no wonder..
Yet again the police need his help.
He just can't have a life of his own at all.
That x-ray machine is a good idea.
Hope they won't use it on Shinichi..]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

Imo, a spoiler[solid buildup episode. I find Usagami to be quite an interesting character honestly despite his criminal status. I guess I'm interested in seeing his future roles in this show based on the adaptation. And right now, the tense atmosphere is brewing of a upcoming "war" like he mentioned.]

Very hyped for the next episode~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 26