• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Just got my Chu2 LE and I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with the packaging, for the most part. I've got issues with the artbox: #1 is that the advertised "numbered" part is just a cheap sticker(it even looked to me to be on top of the shrinkwrap at first); #2 is that the gorgeous artwork is marred by permanently printing the specs on the box. Both of these are on the bottom of the box, so they're not too big, but there's definitely room for improvement: the information printed on the bottom is reproduced elsewhere, so it really doesn't need to be there permanently and could be replaced in future such sets by a peel-off; the set number, on the other hand, should be printed on the box, preferably embossed on the side, but printed on the bottom in plain black is fine, too(failing that, get the damn sticker on straight, Sentai).

Moving on from the artbox, Sentai used the side of the extras box to put the plot summary and contents. The other side has a simple design of the title and stars, so you can turn it around and avoid the advertising. Unfortunately, the covers for the DVD and BD cases were clearly designed separately and don't even begin to flow with the box; the only saving grace here is that the artbook's unadorned, pure red spine serves as a firewall between the extras box and the disc cases(the pages inside are made of a high-weight paper that's thicker than NISA's artbooks, unless they've upped the ante since switching formats).

All in all, great packaging, especially coming from a company known for el cheapo sumpremo releases. I haven't done much with the extras, but the holographic card is ridiculously fun; so often those things are just boring novelties, but they picked a great scene to base it off of to make it worth while. As mentioned above, the "keychain character" comes equipped as a cellphone strap, though the strap's removable and you could attach her to a larger key ring or something with a small hook. I wouldn't recommend trying to impress the wallet chain into a keychain, though - it's rather hefty and it's practically guaranteed to cause General Mayhem.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So a few days ago I did something I have rarely done: ordered a hentai title. In this case Mystery of the Necronomicon. I recently bought a used copy of Adventure Kid which turned out to be a hentai title (I didn't realize it when I bought it, honest) and it had some trailers for other H. Mystery was one of them. The trailer intrigued me not for the sexy bits, but because of the gore. Sometimes I just crave a really cheesy, gory title. I think this will fit the bill. With shipping it comes to under $15 so I'm not exactly breaking the bank.

I'll also admit I did attempt to stream it via non-legit methods but that was turning into a hassle for various reasons so I just ponied up.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
The past week has been a bit expensive. First, I have finally started down the slippery slope of Kill la Kill Limited Editions. Since I got the first volume, now I'm obligated to continue to get the rest. The box and bluray artwork are very nice. The postcards and poster are probably going to stay within the box indefinitely (a fate almost all such extras suffer). I don't know if or when I'll be listening to the cd, though it's nice to have on the off-chance I want to listen to it. Honestly, I prefer listening to songs with lyrics vs. BGM, and I prefer buying digital copies of the songs I actually like, so the physical cd and songs themselves aren't of great value (though they're a better bonus than the other extras). Mainly I bought this for the extra packaging and artwork and to be consistent (since I am interested in the extra DVDs that come with the 2nd, 4th, and 5th releases). If I have to settle for single releases, then I might as well get the bonuses. I wouldn't bother to do this if wasn't a series I loved as much as Kill la Kill.

Next, the 2nd volume of Sailor Moon has shipped out. Hooray! I've been watching the blurays from the first volume and, as expected, I don't really notice the flaws that have been pointed out (or, when I do notice them, they don't really bother me). I recognize what people are complaining about, but I don't tend to see them myself when watching.

And I just ordered the 2nd season of Chihayafuru from Siren Visual tonight. And it shipped within 3 hours afterwards!

And before all of that, I got my last Christmas order from Rightstuf last week (was waiting on one of the volumes from NG Life), which had gifts for friends and myself.

So, yeah, January was a bit of an expensive month. Way to kick off the new year! Full speed ahead!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
@Polycell
Have you noticed that the "keychain character" has two faces? You have to take the strap off to change it.

Also, I think you were talking about the "lenticular card", the one that changes when you move it. I'm pretty sure the "holographic card" is the metallic looking one.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Bought the following in the last two weeks

Time of Eve BD Collector's Edition
Perfect Blue UK BD/DVD Collector's Edition
Steins;Gate BD/DVD Complete Series Part 2
Outlaw Star UK DVD Complete Collection
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
^^^ some cracking buys there, epecially Time of Eve and Steins;Gate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
st_owly wrote:
Depends how old your Mac is. My 2012 MacBook Pro won't play non region 2 DVDs, as although VLC will open them perfectly fine, the actual firmware of the disc drive won't allow VLC to access the disc. The only way to beat that is tinker with the firmware, but that invalidates the warranty.

That doesn't bode well for me since my Mac is 2008. No matter, I'm reasonably sure I'll be getting an all-region BD player at some point.

Didn't see this until now, but actually, that's probably better. Older drives are less likely to have that in their firmware.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that would be a rare instance where older tech is actually an advantage. Guess I'll find out when the disc arrives.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Took advantage of the Dark Horse Sale to acquire all the volumes of the Oh My Goddess manga I was missing. (2, 4-8, and 10-16) and pre-ordered 47....or at least that's the plan since they're all out of stock right now... Sad

Blood- wrote:
So a few days ago I did something I have rarely done: ordered a hentai title. In this case Mystery of the Necronomicon. I recently bought a used copy of Adventure Kid which turned out to be a hentai title (I didn't realize it when I bought it, honest) and it had some trailers for other H. Mystery was one of them. The trailer intrigued me not for the sexy bits, but because of the gore. Sometimes I just crave a really cheesy, gory title. I think this will fit the bill. With shipping it comes to under $15 so I'm not exactly breaking the bank.

I'll also admit I did attempt to stream it via non-legit methods but that was turning into a hassle for various reasons so I just ponied up.

If you want another gory hentaiish work there's a pretty good movie called Wicked City. I'd recommend it. The book was better though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the recco, Kruszer. I've heard the title before but didn't know much about it. Hopefully I'll stumble across a used copy for cheap which is how I've got a lot of my other OVAs/movies.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered the movie, Space Battleship Yamato: Hoshi-Meguru Hakobune from Japan since Voyager is still dysfunctional and the BD has English subs like the TV series. Cool
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Received from the comic shop:

Manga:
High School Debut (Omnibus) Volume 5 final
Spell of Desire volume 3
Voice Over Seiyu Academy volume 9
A Centaurs Life volume 5
Black Rose Alice volume 3
Gangsta volume 5
Haganai I don't have Many Friends volume 10
Happy Marriage volume 10 final
Honey Blood volume 0

Magazines:
Megami October 2014
New Type October 2014

Figure:
Fantasista Doll Uzume Uno figma.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Got Watamote 6, Alice in the Country of Joker Nightmare Trilogy 3, Black Butler 19 and Missions of Love 10 today.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Snagged a SAVE set of Tower of Druaga and a complete series set of Desert Punk off Amazon.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ordered Ranma 1/2 Set 1 Special Edition off Amazon. Will see if I order Hidamari Sketch x 365 bluray off of Amazon(slightly cheaper) or off Rightstuf(can combine it to get a Bargain bin item that I have been considering).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1183 of 1400