• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Submit Series Relations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
This seems kinda long. How about "How to submit series relations"?

That name sounds good to me.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I submitted this before, but it got lost in the downtime. Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie is currently linked as just "related" to Lupin III vs. Detective Conan (special) without any specific relation given. I've watched both of them now, and the movie is an actual sequel to the special.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I've fixed it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Thanks. I've fixed it again.

Thank you for fixing that again.

If you have time, there are still a lot of older posts from this thread that haven't been acted on. I think my oldest post that wasn't acted on is from 2009, but there might be some that are even older from other people.

Here is a summary of everything I've submitted in this thread that I don't think has been acted on yet:

Post 1 - Linking Nakoruru (OAV) to the rest of the Samurai Shodown franchise. I'm thinking now that just linking it as "related" to the movie might work.

Post 2 - Linking Leina: Wolf Sword Legend and Lightning Trap - Leina & Laika to the Machine Robo franchise. Dormcat replied about this at some point, but didn't link them up because neither of us knew the exact relationship to the rest of the franchise. However, it has been 5 years, and since they definitely are related, I think it is better to just link them with the "related" relationship than to leave them separated from the rest of the franchise forever. I think just linking both of them as related to Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos would be best.

Post 3 - Linking Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind (OAV) to the rest of the Street Fighter franchise. There also is now a Super Street Fighter IV (OAV) that isn't linked with the rest of the franchise. A lot of the Street Fighter franchise is just linked as "related" to each other, with the Street Fighter II movie at the base of the relationship links. However, I think it would probably make more sense to have an anthology entry for the Street Fighter franchise, and to remove those "related" links when there isn't any specific relation other than being part of the Street Fighter franchise. The Street Fighter IV entries could then be added to the anthology entry.

Post 4 - Kimagure Orange Road (OAV) is currently listed as a sequel to Kimagure Orange Road: The Movie, but that relationship isn't right. Plot-wise, the movie has to happen later than the OAVs. A bunch of people replied to my post, and I think the general consensus was that the OAVs should be linked as a side-story to the TV series. The first movie would then be a sequel of the TV series, and the second movie should probably be a sequel of the first movie (with neither linking directly to the OAVs).

Post 5 - Linking Jankenman (TV) and Jankenman: Kaijudaikessen (OAV). I think the OAV is probably a side-story of the TV series, but I haven't watched either.

Post 6 - Anime V Comic Rentaman should be changed into an anthology entry, since it was 4 separate anime released together (and each of those 4 has its own encyclopedia page already).

Post 7 - Linking up the parts of the Kobo-chan franchise.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Took care of all the posts with the exception of Anime V Comic Rentaman because I haven't done anthology stuff before. Same goes with the anthology for Street Fighter but I did link the loose OAVs to Street Fighter II the Movie.

I was wondering if the two Street Fighter IV OAVs were also linked in some way however? If so, I could add that relationship as well.

All the Kobo-chan specials were linked as adaptations of the manga but I can change this if anyone has more information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for taking care of all of those.

I haven't seen the Street Fighter IV OAVs, so I don't know if they are related to each other beyond being adapted from the same game.
Elli21486

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Seitokai Yakuindomo* (TV) and noticed that the anime continues beyond that with OAV's. There is no section sections regarding the OAVs as they will be under Seitokai Yakuindomo*(OAV). As of now, there are 3 OAV for Seitokai Yakuindomo* that continues after with a reported 4th OAV coming out in, I believe, July 2015.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Elli21486, if the new OAVs don't have an entry in the encyclopedia yet, you should submit them at animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/new-anime.php. This thread is supposed to be for linking things that already do have entries in the encyclopedia.
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
These two manga need to be fixed:

manga#16949
manga#11678

"Ookami ga Kuru!" was the original story published in 2006, making "Shinyaku Ōkami ga Kuru!" the sequel published in 2008, not that the former is a prequel.

Also, "Ookami ga Kuru" should be set to "serialized in [Comic Rush]" like the sequel, and then I believe the comment on the Vintage section for both entries can be removed since it would be redundant.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Fixed the sequel-prequel thing.

I'm not entirely sure how the anthologies should work. Personally, I wish that the "serialized in Comic Rush" at the top was only for current series, so you could click on it and see what's currently in the magazine. Meanwhile adding it after the vintage for finished series still keeps the information useful.

Otherwise we get these magazine anthologies that are just giant lists. But I'm not 100% on what the intent is.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I believe it is important to record both what magazine a title was serialised in, and conversely to be able to see a list of titles that were seralised in a particular magazine, but they can get a little unwieldy in the current form.
There has been staff discussion in the past on whether to use anthologies or company entries for this purpose. If you want clarity you can try raising it in the staff forum (or bump this); the closest I've found to a current ruling is the relationship guidelines (although I may just be looking in the wrong places).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ECW28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't Naruto Shippuden be listed as adapted from Naruto (manga)?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
ECW28 wrote:
Shouldn't Naruto Shippuden be listed as adapted from Naruto (manga)?

Being a direct sequel of Naruto (TV), it is not necessary to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I am unable to find an entry for Kamisama Kiss Kako-hen. There is an entry for a 2013 OAV.
SupaMika Mikarin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Ghoul:re (manga) (#16317) is listed as a spinoff of Tokyo Ghoul (manga) (#16086), this is incorrect, it's a sequel.

Tokyo Ghoul √A (TV) (#16318) is listed as a sequel on the page for the Tokyo Ghoul (manga), when it would be more accurate to list it as a spinoff (with regards to the manga) given that it's an alternate continuity from the manga's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 26