• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who spoiler[Kaneshiro (Shachi) is and why he's attacking Kaneki on sight despite being told he was going to be freed. By the sound of it, he knows about Kamishiro Rize as well and is none too pleased at Kaneki bearing the same "smell" as she does. ]

Since I don't follow this series, I'll just follow the series for the ride and see what this has in store. It looks like the next episode has quite a few fights to process what with spoiler[Juuzou taking on the twins and Shinohara taking on the younger Kirishima ]

I can't really tell what Kaneki was doing in that last scene (possibly more cannibalism), but it looks like he's going for a rematch with his restored powers and new body armour.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I've been watching too much CinemaSins, but through the whole episode I couldn't get past how ridiculous it was that spoiler[a top-security prison filled with the most dangerous man-eating monsters doesn't have a single person capable of putting those monsters away if need be. What they would've done if Amon and Akira hadn't already been there, I can't even imagine]. Also, aren't ghouls supposed to be immune to regular weapons? I thought the whole point of quinques was that they were the only things that could kill them spoiler[Why did all the fodder ghouls succumb to regular bullets? Consistency, show, please.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Maybe I've been watching too much CinemaSins, but through the whole episode I couldn't get past how ridiculous it was that spoiler[a top-security prison filled with the most dangerous man-eating monsters doesn't have a single person capable of putting those monsters away if need be. What they would've done if Amon and Akira hadn't already been there, I can't even imagine]

A spectacularly incompetent prison design if you ask me.

And yes those guards were dead meat from the day they signed their job applications.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Maybe I've been watching too much CinemaSins, but through the whole episode I couldn't get past how ridiculous it was that spoiler[a top-security prison filled with the most dangerous man-eating monsters doesn't have a single person capable of putting those monsters away if need be. What they would've done if Amon and Akira hadn't already been there, I can't even imagine]. Also, aren't ghouls supposed to be immune to regular weapons? I thought the whole point of quinques was that they were the only things that could kill them spoiler[Why did all the fodder ghouls succumb to regular bullets? Consistency, show, please.]

those were not regular bullets, they were made of quinque material duuuuh
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 4

I would guess the guy he was fighting was spoiler[Rize's father, which is why he would be intimate of Rize's smell, and why he was fighting Kaneki who showed up with her power].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Season 2 Episode 4

I would guess the guy he was fighting was spoiler[Rize's father, which is why he would be intimate of Rize's smell, and why he was fighting Kaneki who showed up with her power].

Nice theory, if it weren't for the surnames not matching and Kamishiro Rize being unmarried. It's clear he knows her, but only viewers with prior knowledge will know why he's being so aggressive.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Season 2 Episode 4

Nice theory, if it weren't for the surnames not matching and Kamishiro Rize being unmarried. It's clear he knows her, but only viewers with prior knowledge will know why he's being so aggressive.

Why would the spoiler[surname she was using be her real one]. Wait no, ANN has her name as Rize Kamishiro in season 1, while this guy's name is apparently spoiler[Matasaka Kamishiro (Shachi)] on the season 2 page, looks spoiler[the same to me]. So there is spoiler information in looking at what the name is on the encyclodpedia?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Looks like the surnames are spoiler[ indeed the same. ] My mistake. That's no guarantee that the two share a spoiler[familial relationship. ]

All will hopefully be made clear over the next few weeks.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
So let's update the list:

-Aokigi: Kaneki, Mummy, Owl, Touka's brother, Jason's disciple.
-Anteiku: Touka, Nishi, Hinami, oldman, those three ghoul friends.
-CCG: Amon, Akira, boss fighting against Touka's brother, boss that had a motorbike, boss that talked with the previous one, other boss that fought against owl in episode 12/13, albin child, Akira's old classmate, Hide).
By their own: Two twins, Shuu, Rize's exlover, the other gay stereotype + a friend with him, this prisoner related to Rize.

All these characters and except maybe those three ghoul friends, the rest are asking for more appearances and development (because many are not simple enough to not mattering if they don't do anything else), and with more yet to be presented. In only 8 episodes left. This is becoming so crazy and still with this super slow pacing that now I'm starting to not enjoy this show again, for opposite reasons than the other season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 5:

Imo, the best episode of the season so far as we see both a psychological side and action oriented scenarios involving the battles. spoiler[Kaneki's centipede (finally!) is unleashed although I have to say that he didn't manage to finish what he started.]

Is that also the spoiler[legendary one eyed ghoul? Oh boy....that's a major threat.]

I also felt bit bad for spoiler[Amon this episode with what he had to go through.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Never short of action in this series, not a lot of dialogue but an immense amount of choreography.

Interesting scene from the past for spoiler[Amon, Juuzou and the twin half-ghouls. Although viewers can guess how the twins ended up being what they are as of this episode, Juuzou's background and how he ended up the way he looks now isn't mentioned. I hear he's the main lead for the new Tokyo Ghoul series, so maybe answers can be found there. ]

Looks like Kaneki might get a new nickname after this adventure, what with the spoiler[heavy centipede imagery of his new powers. ]

The Aogiri ghoul with the red mask also seems to have some beef with the CCG, although it's less mysterious and more like spoiler[a case of revenge for captured relatives. ]

The Owl is MASSIVE, but it's curious to see what role he plays with the Aogiri and CCG.

Interesting ED illustration featuring spoiler[Rize and the old man Kamishiro who gave Kaneki an absolute hammering last week. ]

Last edited by Harleyquin on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 7:

I hope the pacing picks up a bit soon. spoiler[Gourmet was amusing while Touka got her feelings out with her fists against Kaneki.]

I wonder what else Aogiri Tree is planning...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Has spoiler[Kaneki finally lost it?
Doubt it. He's more like an animal.
Torn apart inside.
Tsukiyama]
makes an appearance.
Seems he likes the spoiler[new Kaneki.
Touka seeing Kaneki]
after a while..
That was kinda awkward.
Looks like spoiler[the Doves know about the caffee shop] now.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Another episode with little action.

I wonder why Kaneki paid that visit, especially so soon after the spy gave his report. Perhaps related to Kaneki's lack of control?

The series has dropped tons of hints now, but
spoiler[would it be fair to conclude that the author is really part of the Aogiri setup?]

Now that Shinohara has paid a visit to the coffee shop, next week or the week after should present an interesting turn of developments.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Oooo-eeee, that Tsukiyama is nuttier than a squirrel's den. This eppie reminded me of what I've been missing this season: interaction between Kaneki and his friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15