• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome, new Mods (announcement on page 9).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
OK, I'm sorry for making that statement. Maybe what I said was really ridiculous. I'm going to back off on the monitoring. I'm sorry if I offended any of you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
^This is exactly what I was telling you earlier, you often come off as condescending bordering "insulting people's intelligence", as if you were on some higher moral ground to be evaluating people or telling them how to do their jobs, and it's not even the first time you get called out for backseat moderating or excessive reporting.

I won't say anything else because you've already say you'll lay off, but I'd seriously suggest you take a moment before typing stuff and ask yourself if your post may seem to imply that people don't know how to do their job or that you alone have the final say on the forum's decisions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I won't say anything else because you've already say you'll lay off, but I'd seriously suggest you take a moment before typing stuff and ask yourself if your post may seem to imply that people don't know how to do their job or that you alone have the final say on the forum's decisions.

I've already apologized, and I'm not going to bring this up again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
No, you being polite doesn't get you off the hook this time.

We have a very clear no backseat moderating rule. You announced you were breaking it to a bizarre extreme. You get away with a lot around here because you're unfailingly polite about everything, and I think maybe after this recent stunt it's time for a break.

Ban expires in 2 weeks. Take a little time to consider how you spend your time on our forums, and if you return, please follow the rules.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^This is exactly what I was telling you earlier, you often come off as condescending bordering "insulting people's intelligence", as if you were on some higher moral ground to be evaluating people or telling them how to do their jobs, and it's not even the first time you get called out for backseat moderating or excessive reporting.

I don't find mdo7 condescending just a bit... weird. He's the guy you have to just awkwardly tell to stop. In this case an intimidating warning from Zac would have been enough in my humble worthless opinion. If I ever got a warning from Zac himself I'd be shitting bricks and salting my doorways. 2 weeks isn't a long time though and considering mdo7's history perhaps it was justified.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
^
I don't find your opinions worthless. My $0.02
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
@Cam0 Maybe it's just me, but I did feel it was condescending when he said:

Quote:
Just to clarify willag, many of ANN users are American/Canadian (that include me) so we don't use arsehole[...] because American and British/Australian English are different

as if the fact that a lot of this forum's users are American or Canadian were something she wouldn't know, the differences between American and British English were something unknown to hell or as if the average American/Canadian wouldn't know what arsehole means.

Then when he said

Quote:
you'll be surprised, a language barrier does exist between American and British/Australian English

as if he was enlightening me to this mysterious undisclosed information that most people wouldn't be aware of.

And then the whole wanting to monitor moderators to make sure they're doing their jobs and that Zac and Tempest had made a good decision choosing them debacle, as if the admins weren't able to make that judgment by themselves.

Then there's also the millions of times when he's implied that ANN forumites are K-haters or closeminded japanophiles for not having interest in his endless K-stuff diatribes (which he has thankfully toned down, and I'll give him that)

It's very likely that he doesn't really mean it, but I really can't help but feel he's often talking down to other people because of how he phrases his posts.

As far as the ban, I would've agreed it was an extreme measure if it had been just that first post, he should've let it die with the willagging joke, but he kept going about it for a whole page, so I do believe it was necessary.

But I'll let it go now since it's all said and done, and I'll just add to the congratulations for our new mods, and just at the right time, you guys did a great job in keeping the Preview Guide Talkback almost civilized Very Happy I'll give you an A+ grade
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
First of all, I want to apologize to everybody (that include the moderators, and Zac) for my posts. At that time, I didn't know my post would be considered offensive to any of our rookie moderators, I didn't mean to insult or offend the moderators in anyway. If I had known my post was going too far, I would've stop at that moment. It was very stupid of me for posting what was deemed offensive. To be honest, I think the 2-week ban was justified for me.

Was the ban fair? Yes, I think it was fair.

Even if Zac didn't ban me, I would've put a self-imposed 3 week ban on myself. Zac may have put a 2 week ban on me, but I decided to put myself an additional one week to make sure I learned my lesson.

So I'm very sorry to anyone that was offended by my post, I never meant to offend anyone.

CrowLia wrote:

as if the fact that a lot of this forum's users are American or Canadian were something she wouldn't know, the differences between American and British English were something unknown to hell or as if the average American/Canadian wouldn't know what arsehole means.

Then when he said

Quote:
you'll be surprised, a language barrier does exist between American and British/Australian English

as if he was enlightening me to this mysterious undisclosed information that most people wouldn't be aware of.

And then the whole wanting to monitor moderators to make sure they're doing their jobs and that Zac and Tempest had made a good decision choosing them debacle, as if the admins weren't able to make that judgment by themselves.

Then there's also the millions of times when he's implied that ANN forumites are K-haters or closeminded japanophiles for not having interest in his endless K-stuff diatribes (which he has thankfully toned down, and I'll give him that)

It's very likely that he doesn't really mean it, but I really can't help but feel he's often talking down to other people because of how he phrases his posts.

As far as the ban, I would've agreed it was an extreme measure if it had been just that first post, he should've let it die with the willagging joke, but he kept going about it for a whole page, so I do believe it was necessary.

Crowlia, I appreciate that you said the ban was going too far. I think it was fair and justified in my opinion.

Also, this is the last time I'm going to bring up language barrier in British and American English. But last week there was a incident on another thread. But the user from the UK used words that was offensive in American senses. This has led to off-topic about the way that user used that word. The user in question said he was from the UK and said that word was not offensive in his country and clarified he's Asian and he said the word wasn't offensive. So language barrier does exist in English (specifically British and American English) as that thread showed and that user demonstrate British and American English has barrier and can lead to confusion.

EDIT: Changed links, found the evidence.

Crowlia, I want you to watch this video. As you can see, the word flat which mean apartment/home may not be familiar to your average American speaker. I doubt your average American speakers will know what flying squad are.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
If I ever got a warning from Zac himself I'd be shitting bricks and salting my doorways.

I got a warning from Zac once. ....I think? The fact that I can't even remember what it was about should tell you everything! Once you get past the Skeletor avatar, he's just a bunny. Wink

By the way..."shitting bricks" is a misconception. Gastrointestical anxiety causes diarrhea 95% of the time. So...you'd be leaking instead.

mdo7 wrote:
Even if Zac didn't ban me, I would've put a self-imposed 3 week ban on myself. Zac may have put a 2 week ban on me, but I decided to put myself an additional one week to make sure I learned my lesson.

Uh-huh... There's a point in an apology where it just runs on too long. This is about it.

There is no such thing as a "self-imposed ban." There's just you clicking the log-out button, and not logging back in for 3-weeks. And then there's you personally PMing Zac to suspend your account for three weeks. The former is...well, not logging in for three weeks, the latter is a "self-imposed ban" Quite a few people do the former. Absolutely no one ever does the latter.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

Uh-huh... There's a point in an apology where it just runs on too long. This is about it.

There is no such thing as a "self-imposed ban." There's just you clicking the log-out button, and not logging back in for 3-weeks. And then there's you personally PMing Zac to suspend your account for three weeks. The former is...well, not logging in for three weeks, the latter is a "self-imposed ban" Quite a few people do the former. Absolutely no one ever does the latter.

Well, for me not logging in for 3 weeks to recoup from a mistake I did would've worked for me and as I said, if Zac didn't ban me I might have not logged on for 3 weeks. So yes, I would've put a "self-imposed ban" on myself meaning I wouldn't log on for 3 week (I wouldn't leave replies, report post, etc...). Even if ANN put up an article on South Korea, K-pop, Cool Japan or any articles that would tempt me to log-in and make me post something, I would've resist logging-in and post my thought.

So yes, I would've been one of the few people to not log in for 3 week if Zac didn't ban me, I take my mistake seriously.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
And therein we find a trend of the issue at hand!

mdo7 wrote:
So yes, I would've been one of the few people to not log in for 3 week if Zac didn't ban me, I take my mistake seriously.

You take everything way too seriously. From the topics you partake in discussing, to any potential mistakes you might think you have made. And did you notice how nothing much has changed since the last time the topic of discussion was...well, you? I have a terrible memory regarding any kind of forum drama, but even I remember this isn't exactly your first "intervention" on here!

I don't know whether it's just a personality flaw of yours, or maybe an ill-formulated standard you try to raise yourself to, but you're too high strung. That inevitably causes static. So, as someone who's pissed off several mods on here before (and will probably be joining you in a ban very soon due to a recent exchange with Psycho!), here are three tips for success!

A) If it's a standard you try to bring yourself up to, then just stop it. Lighten up a bit. The world and everything in it is too shitty for you to bring yourself up (or in this case, down) to its level. Have a bit more fun. Zac isn't the almighty overlord you should pay tribute to, and the forum goers aren't the inquisition. Shake it off and try some 90's pop music.

B) If it's a personality flaw, then you simply have to assess your posts. Re-read what you wrote before hitting submit. If you notice that what you posted is eerily similar to something that has caused issue in the past, then just exit out. Don't think about trying to edit it because you'll just stress yourself out even more, and you could start spiraling. Just click the exit icon, and move to something else. If you'll be feeling any sort of regret over not participating in any particular discussion, it will only last for about 20 seconds.

C) You can just try and not give a f*ck? That's what I do! That said, I fully understand that it's something that not everyone can just will themselves into doing. Everything is based around image these days, and some people are just incapable of ignoring the perceptions of others. That's just the kind of world we live in. But as we all know here, you're a very opinionated guy! Yet at the same time, you worry about others' perceptions of you. That's kind of a volatile mix that results in, well, you being highly strung. With respect to not giving a flying f*ck, you can either throw out your opinions, or throw out your worry over others' judgments of you. You can probably guess which road I took. Razz

Don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not being sarcastic. I like to think I can be honest once in a while. There is a whole heap of drama surrounding you dude, so there's no doubt you're gonna have to change your game a bit. Otherwise, it's just gonna be a rinse-and-repeat situation. Has been so far. I just hope in some tiny minuscule way this helped you.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
I think this topic has run its course. If there's ever a need to introduce or welcome new mods, I'm sure another thread will be created. Thank you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13