• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Parade (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[A new pair plays a game.
This time it's bowling.
It's nice to see the new assistant play her part.
This new pair didn't seem like a couple at all.
Their behavior was innocent... like they had some hidden feelings.
Guess they don't have to be a couple after all.
Maybe just have some feelings for each other..
This episode wasn't as dramatic as first, but was more sad.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Complete change of pace and setting for this episode.

I suspect the game that the pair are made to choose is more or less fixed, both pairs thus far have had experience in the games they picked so the "roulette" phase is more or less for show.

I didn't have a close look at the elevator masks in the first episode, but if my hunch is right then spoiler[the death parade system of judgement isn't Manichaestic ]

Edit: Just checked. It definitely isn't.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Another solid effort to present this series.spoiler[ Despite the change of mood, the message was clear and the game was appealing and unique. It may be bowling but add some hearts in it and we get a real piece of work here.]

I think the ending suggested that the spoiler[both of them being reincarnated though], a suitable conclusion for this particular episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

A less confusing and more enjoyable episode. Neither of these people were bad, and it was a kind of nice spoiler[twist at the end]. She kind of did something a spoiler[little extreme to change herself because he did not see he]r. In the end it looked like they spoiler[both knew, and both reincarnated], it is not like spoiler[he was going to talk with her because he thought she was the other girl].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
For those interested, the official website posts audio interviews with the "guests" in Decim's bar after each mini-arc concludes. Thus far, they've interviewed the voice talents for the couple in episodes 1-2 and the bowling pair in episode 3.

No subtitles, but it's fun to listen to the opinions of the voice talents regarding their performance and what they thought about the episode in question.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
I liked this episode - it was softer and sweeter after the harsher (and somewhat melodramatic) first case.

That said, I felt a little let down about the "twist" at the end, though I suppose that's not the series' fault. When they said that she'd spoiler[forgotten about her surgery, I had a momentary *gasp* because I had a thought that the big twist was that she was trans, that her surgery had been SRS, in which case Death Parade might've just won "most progressive series of the year" award for having Shigeru deal with that revelation so well at the end.] But instead, she'd spoiler[just had plastic surgery to make herself prettier, more like what he liked, which is kind of... sad. Like her whole self-worth was wrapped up in a guy so shallow he ignored her when she wasn't conventionally pretty.] But then again, that means the whole game was more like the two of them (especially him) getting a second chance to be better people. So yeah, spoiler[reincarnation for both of them.] It was different.

I also really liked the interaction between Quindecim and his assistant (still no name, huh?). I'm wondering when the rest of the cast from the opening is going to be introduced, though.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
^
I thought the same thing! It was a perfect opportunity to have a sympathetic spoiler[trans character]. Ah well. spoiler[They both got nice endings at least.]

I'm hoping that the show introduces its other cast members and fleshes out the ones we have seen. I'm wondering at this point if they're mostly going to be background additions, like Clavis in episode 2. I do like the dynamic between Decim and the assistant, though.

I'd also like to see pairs other than heterosexual couples. It seems like, for the show at least, characters died at the same time but also had a connection when they were alive. But there are so many other relationships this show could delve into.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
I also thought she would spoiler[turn out to be trans, and was surprised the show would go there. The show didn't go there, but instead gave us a weird story about a girl who had plastic surgery to look like the mutual childhood friend of her crush. Huh? How would she even know what the other girl would look like? Or that the boy she was into would still be interested, or...it's probably best not to think too much about it.]

Also, spoiler[the fact that she had plastic surgery at all was treated like a big dirty secret. Again, huh? I guess it makes sense, kind of]

But it was a sweet, adorable, basically happy episode, and I enjoyed it.spoiler[ That date at the end was cute, especially since they showed us their date during the ED]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
There's actually not a lot of difference between pre and post-surgery Mai. Her face before surgery is revealed spoiler[during the final flashbacks and just before the elevator door closes on her. ] The Black-haired woman's allusion to looking like Chisato is somewhat misleading.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this episode. Throughout most of it, I was actually rather tense, since I was expecting that they'd start distrusting and snapping at each other at any moment, but I'm really glad that didn't happen. spoiler[Their date was very sweet, and I'm glad they both got to be reincarnated. Though of course, since we now know this is possible, this means that it's only a matter of time until we get a story where both parties end up sent to the void...]

I also liked the interactions between Decim and his assistant, but I do hope we get to see a bit of the other characters featured in the opening soon.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Another pair gets to play.
Arcade game this time.
Both of them were completely delusional.
The arcade thing was a classic fight game.
It was interesting to watch their flashbacks.
Damn, that lady snapped rather easily.
This was a weird one.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:
Great episode.

Besides spoiler[the arcade game (which actually looked kinda fun imo), the episode was able to nail the emotional expressions of both player/character down to the core. I really like the way the show goes beyond than just showing who will be the "winner" or "loser".]

And by the circumstances of this episode, the results didn't surprise me either. What a ride this has been~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Man, that episode made me cry. And that being said, the ultimate fate of the two characters at the end upset me too. spoiler[Yes, Misaki had a lot of darkness in her soul... which is understandable, given that she was a battered wife. Why does she not merit a second chance at life? She was a victim as well as a villain.] Or is that conundrum going to be addressed in the next episode, which looks to be another focus-on-the-staff episode. I'm looking forward to it regardless.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I cried too, that was really quite sad. Neither of the character fitted a pure 2 dimensional version of what they were, her a celebrity with a spoiler[family that showbiz made her not pay as much attention as she should, and him an otaku who may have wasted his life].

Her whole story starting as spoiler[a high school girl who got in a situation too mature, and had some tough spots with trying to live her life and being betrayed]. She had some really tough moments, spoiler[but it looked like in the end it came down to her responding poorly like the violence]. He was also hurt in life, his spoiler[own mother wished he was not born, and that he seemed to largely have a happy family later on, but he ignored it and gave up, but we saw that there was still a strong desire that he did respect his stepmother and he wanted to thank her].

Some debate if the choice was right that spoiler[he reincarnated and she go to void]. Could it purely have been from their reactions to know their true nature, spoiler[when his stick broke he kept playing and she felt lucky for it]. With the super spoiler[attack she called her children who could not help her weak, only keeping the love on the one who could help her (the baby)]. Followed by when her spoiler[stick broke she went into a rampage, something quite shocking]. And when he spoiler[did his super attack he looked very appreciative of his stepmother].

People who experienced different things would probably have sympathy strong for one person than the other. Some might just see spoiler[her as a victim that acted accordingly. They might think he was just weak instead of the pit of despair he had starting with being told he should not have been born].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episodes like #4 illustrate just how hard Decim's job can be at times, although on the balance of it I can't really disagree with his final decision.

Looking back at it, the show definitely doesn't look kindly on individuals spoiler[who inflict pain on others to escape that which they have to live with. ] Seeing Misaki's reaction to having her joystick malfunction was shocking, but probably not all that surprising on hindsight given her temperament and lifestyle.

Is there a case for sending Yousuke spoiler[to the void? ] There is one but it's weak and not as compelling as Misaki's. Decim would have looked soft sending both of them in the same direction.

Outside of spoiler[actual physical violence ] against opposing players, this particular medium doesn't inflict pain like the Darts game does. It's not as amicable as bowling either since that medium appears to be reserved for those who knew each other intimately.

On more mundane matters, it looks like Decim has to petition his superiors for replacement equipment...

The trailer for next week is up on the official website, it seems the pair next week isn't comprised of two individuals of the opposite sex either. To top it off, Decim's bosses and his co-worker get their first airing in this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8