• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami's Adjusted Schedule Cuts Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, GiTS, Space Dandy

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Before it was people wanting more 90s anime and now it's Morbito and Claymore which are from the later end of the 00s. In 10 years will people be clamoring for more anime like the ones airing right now? It tells me it's less about the era and more about perhaps when people first got into anime.

I guess we can't talk about any anime made before 2010.

Guile wrote:
The top three most hyped anime last year were Youkai Watch, Magic Kaito 1412, and HappinessCharge PreCure. Both of those are aimed at general audience and were smash successes. Unless someone feels like breaking down the numbers, generalizations aren't going to be very informative.

Sounds good. As enurtsol said, hopefully, some licensor will bring 'em over here.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Those three would do HORRIBLY on Toonami or Adult Swim.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Those three would do HORRIBLY on Toonami or Adult Swim.

True, but it could work at an earlier time. Although, I don't know if anybody (in the US at least,) still watches saturday morning "cartoons".
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean that, I just found it interesting that the "good old days" was moved to later than what I'm used to seeing. I'm used to it being the 90s when it comes to this sort of discussion, that's all. Sorry if it was unclear.

As much as I'd love to see Pretty Cure come out here, I doubt it would do well. Especially if it's stuck on Toonami Magic Kaito would do even worse than Conan did.

-Stuart Smith
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
CoreSignal wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean that, I just found it interesting that the "good old days" was moved to later than what I'm used to seeing. I'm used to it being the 90s when it comes to this sort of discussion, that's all. Sorry if it was unclear.

Sorry too, if my comment came off as rude. I meant that people will naturally bring up old shows when asked about today's anime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
True, but it could work at an earlier time. Although, I don't know if anybody (in the US at least,) still watches saturday morning "cartoons".

Saturday morning animation blocks have mostly retreated to cable television, where they still get dedicated audiences. Not big ones, but they are pretty stable. Considering recent popular Saturday morning offerings include Young Justice and Friendship Is Magic, they seem to be sustained via older audiences than they used to.

Another source of morning animated television are very young children. As in toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarteners. Blocks like Nick Jr. and Disney Jr. are still very stable, with the latter having become a new branch of Disney's merchandising.

The children of the age whom Saturday morning programming used to be aimed at seem to either consume large amounts of television streamed online or have stopped watching any sort of narrative medium altogether, spending their free time watching Lets Plays or playing mobile gaming.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The children of the age whom Saturday morning programming used to be aimed at seem to either consume large amounts of television streamed online or have stopped watching any sort of narrative medium altogether, spending their free time watching Lets Plays or playing mobile gaming.

Kids do seem to be moving more towards "reality" shows rather than narrative works. Disney's aware of this and trying to cash in on this with their new show about a young MLG player.

Disney Anime hyper wrote:
Disney has announced a new TV show called The Gamer's Guide to Pretty Much Everything, which will follow a proffesional 15-year-old eSports player.

Disney channel actor Cameron Boyce will take on the role of Conor, who is forced to attend high school for the first time after a thumb injury takes him out of his professional gaming career. "As a coping mechanism, he begins to visualize life as a video game," Disney said in a press release. "He is reunited with his three former gamer friends who he left behind for life on the pro circuit World Tour, and he quickly realizes that restoring his friendships is vital in his quest to 'level up' to his former glory."

They also own Maker studios so you could probably expect cameos from people like PewDiePie and Game Grumps if they wanted.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Would Lets Plays even be considered reality programming?
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Slight schedule update: while Attack on Titan had been scheduled to return this upcoming Saturday, this is no longer the case. The shows that would have aired from 3 to 5 (which'll all be pulled the following week by the way) are moving up half an hour and IGPX will be airing an extra week at 4:30 to compensate.

I guess they figured there's no point in bringing Titan back after taking a break for a week just to remove it again the following Saturday.

You're right, but it's just weird as hell that I had to find this out from a Talkback on ANN instead of the [as] message board or the Toonami Tumblr...
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
fudge it, Kill La Kill's Toonami Promo is finally here!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6eSeIyBog] [/spoiler]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
At least Toonami's finishing off the reruns with some interesting episodes, e.g. Ballad of Fallen Angels, that shota love hotel ep of GitS:SAC, QT's coffee machine love, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11