• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ep 17.

Watched the raw again and from what I can understand: spoiler[Embryo recruited Salia, Ersha and Chris to pilot the "black Vilkiss" to help him maintain the status quo now that Arzenal is destroyed and the rest of the Norma ran away. Riza/Lizardia got captured and was forced to lead the assault team into a trap. In the end Ange, Vivian and Tusk meet up with the other Norma and Momoka.]
spoiler[ I hope that Ersha and Chris switch sides because they both seem hesitant to fight Ange once they see the Vilkiss. The only one who really wants to take out Ange is Salia who is still pissed about their last confrontation. Ersha is one of my favorites and Chris isn't a bad person from what we are shown so I hope they don't end up getting killed.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Of course we should have expected a change of scenery back to their world spoiler[to have a twist], so we got one. spoiler[Salia, Chris, and Ersha are working for Embryo, which this was likely why he helped a few of them out during the purge]. I quite liked an explanation Ange had for why she was not jumping on the cause, spoiler[because she had found a number of causes already wrong she was afraid of getting involved in another]. That probably look at how the other three are where they are.

We don't quite know yet where the spoiler[rest of the Norma sit, I am guessing a different side], but the preview does look not entirely happy. Also spoiler[Hilda seemed quite upset about being around a guy], well I guess she does not have a good experience with the ones she has met, spoiler[Hilda is looking very close] to Ange next episode.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
"But if we put them in wetsuits, how will we show cleavage?"

"Don't worry... we'll find a way."
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm now worried that even if Tusk survives the show, his junk might not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's just the occupational hazard of being Ange's Knight. Don't sign up if you can't take a joke, sez I.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well this story sure seems to have come a long way. What started with high-school intramural sports has finally scaled up to an inter-dimensional war.

I really hate seeing Ange up against the girls from Arzenal -- I hope they all survive and become friends again but it looks like Embryo has totally bought the girls off.

jl07045 wrote:
I'm now worried that even if Tusk survives the show, his junk might not.

For a guy who can't seem to get laid he sure gets a lot of hand jobs and face-sitting.

Four stars for Ange's dick-biting. I like how they didn't even try to play it off as accidental. World class, man.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Damn.

I actually was looking forward to catching up with the show since I've seen more people talking about it around a few other sites.

To bad it's still mind numbly mediocre entertainment at best.

But really gets me is the entirely wrong mindset the anime tries to give the viewer.

Let's look at Julio for a second. Why exactly did people here want him to die? It was revealed he was being controlled and possibly never held this resentment towards Ange in the first place. Yet we are supposed to see him as this horrible person why exactly? Hell he didn't even get a chance to redeem himself. I've rarely seen a heavily manipulated character not get a chance to make up for their actions. So seeing it not happen just...........doesn't feel right. Especially when the anime expects me to not give a shit about him like the other characters. I'm not saying he was necessarily sympathetic but it puzzles me that people wanted him gone so badly. And I'm called the insensitive one eh?

I also disliked how Misty was handled. In fact it really pissed me off when Ange so uncaringly treated her like an asshole. Misty was one of the few people that actually acted human and didn't IMMEDIATELY turn on Ange when she heard the news about her being a Norma. She went through a stage of disbelief which is what a decent friend would do. If you found out a close friend of yours turned out to be a serial killer would you be able to accept it in mere seconds? This is why I call bullshit on the whole "everybody betrays Ange" arc. If people like the Maid and Misty exist then surely fellow family members or close friends would feel the same way too. Or at least a few them of them would be hesitant about it. But nope apparently not. Shit this story makes the racism in Black Bullet more believable somehow.

There is also no real attempt of empathy from Ange. She knows exactly what it's like to be manipulated into believing something wrong. Yet we see no real attempts from her to try to understand that these people aren't ENTIRELY at fault (yes they should still get whacked for being douches but still). She herself slowly rid herself from that lifestyle and is living proof people CAN change in the belief that Norma's are evil. Oh but who am I kidding thinking this show could be capable of looking a psychological and social norms in a compelling fashion. It's better if Ange just wants to destroy everything right? That's our hero ladies and gentlemen! It's really hard to like Ange when throughout the series she's never been a character I can relate with or find qualities I can like in her. Once a bitch always a bitch eh? Wink

Oh and apparently having a terrible person shout "MAMA!" a bunch of times instantly makes them sympathetic. Go figure.

Only made it to episode 14 so maybe this has changed though I highly doubt it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
@ leatherhead333

Julio revealed Ange simply to gain power, knowing full well it would kill his parents. Julio used his sister knowing that Ange did not fit the known stereotype of only caring about herself as Ange would come to her rescue, just so he could solidify his power by having Ange executed. Julio led an extermination against the Norma so he could get to Ange, where ordered the deaths of even children. Julio was a bad guy.

Misty was only under the impression that Ange could not possibly be a Norma, when she saw evidence of the fact there was a strong chance she would have turned on her straight away. Misty was not sticking with her in knowing that Ange was a Norma, she thought it was a mistake. Yeah Ange knows that opinions can be changed about Norma, but she also knows how long it took her to change her opinion, and it took her being one to do it.

Ange actually has showed that she does not just desire to destroy everything. That she ran when told to follow so they can destroy the system, she is actually afraid of being used to do something she will find out later is bad. That she was so mean to people was because she was afraid of being hurt since protecting people close to her has been her number one goal. She made good with the Norma after seeing they will stop trying to hurt her, and with Hilda when she learned they are quite similar.

Ange has been pretty truthful of her own feelings, she doesn't try to play nice just so she can use them and then throw them away at some point in time in the future. Ange has been slow to trust, but it is not that she is a bitch, it is that she really does not want to be betrayed, and when she does trust she does so she will protect them.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
@Dusky

Did you not see the scene where Julio was being directly controlled by the succubus girl? I think they made it pretty clear he was under her spell. We really don't know if he actually was the one in control of actions the whole time or not. The anime is pretty vague about it. But if he wasn't that only makes the situation really screwed up. He should have gotten a chance to redeem himself since he was never fully control of what he was doing.

@Misty

Again THAT's exactly the point I was making in my last post. Everyone else including her closest friends and family instantly believed the story Ange was a Norma while turning on her without blinking an eye. The exceptions to this are the maid and Misty (the maid only took one episode of coaxing before accepting it). Hell I don't think Misty was even THAT personally close to Ange yet she still couldn't believe what she was being told. The fact she felt the need to come out personally to see if it was true proves that she did care about Ange. The stage of disbelief is what a TRUE friend goes through if they found someone close to them was suddenly someone they are supposed to hate. I believe that Misty could have possibly been coaxed to Ange's side had she been able to have a truthful conversation with her. If Misty ended up being totally unreasonable about it then I could except what ultimately happened. But instead Ange spits on her kindness and only ends up REINFORCING the stereotype people have about Norma's (that they are violent and destructive creatures). Not exactly helping in making Ange's character likeable.

@ Protecting people

What? Didn't Ange outright state she simply liked the system of killing dragons and getting money? She never implied early on that she gave a shit about anyone else (till the maid showed up). Being an asshole to others isn't exactly the best way of protecting them ESPECIALLY when you end up causing them to want you gone by stealing their money and being general bitch every waking moment.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
@Dusky

Did you not see the scene where Julio was being directly controlled by the succubus girl? I think they made it pretty clear he was under her spell. We really don't know if he actually was the one in control of actions the whole time or not. The anime is pretty vague about it. But if he wasn't that only makes the situation really screwed up. He should have gotten a chance to redeem himself since he was never fully control of what he was doing.

Actually we never have proof that Lizarda hypnotizes Julio. Lizarda as told by Salamandinay to Ange, was on a recon mission. If that entails banging Julio so be it. The point of the mission was to gather information about the whereabouts of the giant dragon. What Julio did to Ange is not the consequence of Lizarda. Julio was a power hungry bastard (it happens in royal families, and history is full of brothers betraying one another for the throne) that happened to find the excuse (and what an excuse) to eliminate his sister. Look no further than that.

Quote:

@Misty

Again THAT's exactly the point I was making in my last post. Everyone else including her closest friends and family instantly believed the story Ange was a Norma while turning on her without blinking an eye. The exceptions to this are the maid and Misty (the maid only took one episode of coaxing before accepting it). Hell I don't think Misty was even THAT personally close to Ange yet she still couldn't believe what she was being told. The fact she felt the need to come out personally to see if it was true proves that she did care about Ange. The stage of disbelief is what a TRUE friend goes through if they found someone close to them was suddenly someone they are supposed to hate. I believe that Misty could have possibly been coaxed to Ange's side had she been able to have a truthful conversation with her. If Misty ended up being totally unreasonable about it then I could except what ultimately happened. But instead Ange spits on her kindness and only ends up REINFORCING the stereotype people have about Norma's (that they are violent and destructive creatures). Not exactly helping in making Ange's character likeable.

We know why the maid never turned on Angelise. There is even a flashback scene when she is hurt and Angelise helps her. Kindness is a very powerfull emotion. And while she may have been the maid, she has developed affection for Ange. That's why she hasn't betrayed her when Ange turned out to be a norma. She is the embodiement of the "real friend". Ange's mother and father also didn't betray her. The mother actually died protecting her daughter.
As for Misty, she is an acquaintance of Ange. She doesn't have the deep emotional relationship that develops between Momoka and Ange. Misty could have disbelieved that Ange was a norma, as you could disbelieve your neighbour if he turned out to be a serial killer. Curiosity is what made Misty go to the Arzenal. Pure curiosity, like being curious about a savage animal. The only true friend Angelise has ever had is Momoka. The anime is pretty clear about this.

Quote:

@ Protecting people

What? Didn't Ange outright state she simply liked the system of killing dragons and getting money? She never implied early on that she gave a shit about anyone else (till the maid showed up). Being an asshole to others isn't exactly the best way of protecting them ESPECIALLY when you end up causing them to want you gone by stealing their money and being general bitch every waking moment.

She said that when she didn't know that dragons were actually people. When she realised what the dragons were, well that changed her perspective a little bit. I don't see what's so strange about it.
As for being an asshole, well that asshole managed to keep the team alive. Even Salia recognised it. And Ange acted like that because she was sure she was going to be backstabbed by the others. So better do the work yourself instead of relying on others.

Frankly leatherhead333 I seriously wonder wether you've watched the anime. Maybe with one eye closed and tucked under your bed. That's not a good way to watch. You have to pay attention to everything. Every little detail counts.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
@Dusky

Actually we never have proof that Lizarda hypnotizes Julio. Lizarda as told by Salamandinay to Ange, was on a recon mission. If that entails banging Julio so be it. The point of the mission was to gather information about the whereabouts of the giant dragon. What Julio did to Ange is not the consequence of Lizarda. Julio was a power hungry bastard (it happens in royal families, and history is full of brothers betraying one another for the throne) that happened to find the excuse (and what an excuse) to eliminate his sister. Look no further than that.

Quote:

@Misty

We know why the maid never turned on Angelise. There is even a flashback scene when she is hurt and Angelise helps her. Kindness is a very powerfull emotion. And while she may have been the maid, she has developed affection for Ange. That's why she hasn't betrayed her when Ange turned out to be a norma. She is the embodiement of the "real friend". Ange's mother and father also didn't betray her. The mother actually died protecting her daughter.
As for Misty, she is an acquaintance of Ange. She doesn't have the deep emotional relationship that develops between Momoka and Ange. Misty could have disbelieved that Ange was a norma, as you could disbelieve your neighbour if he turned out to be a serial killer. Curiosity is what made Misty go to the Arzenal. Pure curiosity, like being curious about a savage animal. The only true friend Angelise has ever had is Momoka. The anime is pretty clear about this.

Quote:

@ Protecting people

She said that when she didn't know that dragons were actually people. When she realised what the dragons were, well that changed her perspective a little bit. I don't see what's so strange about it.
As for being an asshole, well that asshole managed to keep the team alive. Even Salia recognised it. And Ange acted like that because she was sure she was going to be backstabbed by the others. So better do the work yourself instead of relying on others.

Frankly leatherhead333 I seriously wonder wether you've watched the anime. Maybe with one eye closed and tucked under your bed. That's not a good way to watch. You have to pay attention to everything. Every little detail counts.

@Julio

They probably explained her character in episodes I haven't seen but according to your comment there is no real proof he WASN'T being controlled. That scene doesn't really make sense to me if she was just using him as a sex slave and nothing else. Regardless since it's unknown I'll back down on that point.

@Misty
It's funny how you accuse me of not watching closely when you yourself obviously haven't done so. Do you even remember what Misty said? "I have to see Ange.........no matter what". How the shit is that indicate simple curiosity? They made it pretty obvious that Misty had a great amount of respect for Ange. She went on and on about how much she looked up to her and was shocked at what happened at the Baptism. Nope still not seeing any indication about her simply going to see Ange because she was a rare wild animal. I'm certain you made that crap up.without rewatching the episode. She even stated that she was determined to find out the truth behind what happened bringing her own fleet. To top things off when Ange outright tells Misty she is a Norma she accepts it. Probably not on the level the maid did but she still wanted to do whatever she could for Ange. When Ange asked for a favor she readily asked her what she could do. Seriously I can't believe how you aren't seeing this. I guess you just want to fabricate facts without a shred of creditability but I don't play that shit bro! Ange could have been much more civilized with Misty giving how ready she was to help her. But she effectively burned that bridge for NO REASON making her escape much more difficult than it could have been.

If that's her reason for being a dick it's pretty stupid. Ange HAD to realize that her actions were causing friction in the group. And she ended up getting backstabbed BECAUSE of it. If Ange kept her mouth shut and simply didn't talk to anyone while making sure everyone got their cut of money I'd understand her. But deliberately acting like you high and mighty, constantly stealing your comrades money and being generally unpleasant isn't doing you ANY favors. Did she ever offer to give her money to them? Nope. If she cared about them she wouldn't just hog all the money herself. But she never really did care about anyone else and had to be constantly told to fight as a team and stop being a lone wolf.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I think Momoka knew Ange best, she knew what she was really like and that her personality was not faked. She went through great lengths of personal danger to help Ange knowing full well, and Ange did not warm up to it until she knew how genuine she was. The only thing Ange had from her previous life was how much she cared for her younger sister, it was her most important thing, and she could not risk getting betrayed.

Does a good guy have to be good all the time? Ange had been bullied since she got there, and it took her a while to realise that they were people too. All she needed to be told was that she was upsetting her team mates and they will naturally stop picking on her. When people are treating you badly it is easy to think that they are just evil or bad people, it took Ange a while to see that they are really just people too, that the system is meant to help all of them.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think Momoka knew Ange best, she knew what she was really like and that her personality was not faked.

As for Momoka, given how nasty this story has been in the past I wouldn't be surprised to find out she's been working for Embryo all along.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Alternatively, Embryo has been working for Momoka all along, to ensure that Momoka was the only one who could get close to Momoka. It's a simply, yet multidimensional, plan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
As for Momoka, given how nasty this story has been in the past I wouldn't be surprised to find out she's been working for Embryo all along.

No way man! Momoka is the real thing. Do not impugn her maid heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 28