• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Show Announcements & Question Thread [Updated 5/19/15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeiiii, Arjuna podcast!! Laughing I really cannot wait for that, that's going to turn out great. And if it's possible please try to find some guest who genuinely likes the show (if there is one).

In terms of questions, I'm sure you are going to literally quote all the bat shit insane stuff that happens every episode so instead of that I'll ask this more in vein of the author's view of some groups of people:
spoiler[How do you feel about the use of an hermaphrodite character as a victimized tool to criticize the "modern society"? And the message in the babies episode that "if you get born from a mother who doesn't love the father you are a twisted mean negative human being that has to be pitied by those who don't"? (remember Chris and the girl with powers, and the fact that they are speechless because the sister doesn't love the father and therefore "oh no I cannot argue with her anymore about abortion even though before I was obsessed about it")]

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Yeiiii, Arjuna podcast!! Laughing I really cannot wait for that, that's going to turn out great. And if it's possible please try to find some guest who genuinely likes the show (if there is one).

Hi! One right here! Though I'm not a guest so I guess that doesn't count. Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I have a lot of respect for Arjuna and think it is legitimately worth watching, but it is completely batshit. I'm not sure we'll have a guest on for that segment, but I'll see what I can do.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I have a lot of respect for Arjuna and think it is legitimately worth watching, but it is completely batshit.

Admittedly it took me 2 1/2 viewings, with a lot of pausing and rewinding, to get it all down lol.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Arjuna is an odd duck, even for me.

I'll say there are a lot of things I like about Arjuna, but as a whole, I'd have to say I probably don't like it. There's just too much content that's factually untrue, and to me that's particularly bad because it's being used as evidence to support a moral.

That said, the music, the storyboarding, and a lot of the animation is really good, and that character drama I think is truly spot-on. I even agree with SOME of the message (that in general some environmental protection is a good idea, and I really liked the critiques on the education system.) Too bad it's kind of assassinated by all the NOT TRUE.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
If you're open to suggestions outside of the show-centric podcasts, I'd love to see ANNCast talk to:

*Someone from Discotek, especially in light of their new Crunchyroll deal. I think it would be interesting to hear about not only how they deal with licensing and marketing older series, but their plans for the future and for more current material.

*I'd also love to hear more from the manga side of the industry, as some of my favorite ANNCasts were the behind-the-scenes ones about current ones like Vertical as well as past ones like the shows about Tokyopop or Raijin Comics & CMX. It'd be interesting to hear from Yen Press about their titles and their expansion into light novels. The same could be said for Seven Seas, especially when you consider their eclectic history as well as being one of the few publishers to tackle yuri. Hell, I'd love to see someone from DMP come in and talk about their company and their various crowdfunding campaigs as of late.

I wouldn't expect results right away, but it would be a welcome bit of variety in subject matter and I doubt I'm the only one who would be interested in such things.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
OP updated with this week's show and next week's interview.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd love for a Gundam related show, maybe on the original MSG or Zeta or something. The only problem is that I'm not sure if everything has been said about those, it'd be nice to have Mike Toole come on.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Would love a show about Anohana. Of course, because I like the feels. But also because despite the fact it's currently #14 on the Encyclopedia list and a real big seller in Japan, it feels like it's already at a critical juncture of "huh, that sure was a thing", like it's receding quickly in the rear-view mirror.

Also, only 11 episodes and a movie. Easiest show you'll ever get for this (barring FLCL, I suppose)

Animehermit wrote:
I'd love for a Gundam related show, maybe on the original MSG or Zeta or something. The only problem is that I'm not sure if everything has been said about those, it'd be nice to have Mike Toole come on.

Is Mark Simmons still active in anime fandom? He literally wrote the English-language book on Gundam. Actually, looking at his LinkedIn, he might be a good get as a regular guest (particularly in light of Right Stuf's roll-out of the Gundam back catalog), not just as the third seat for a run-through of original MSG or Zeta.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero would be a good choice for next monthly series discussion, which I am guessing will be in April. Unless you prefer to do it and Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works together as one series.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Question for Super Nerds:

With shows like Space Dandy getting a fair amount of love from the ANN Staff and guests on Super Nerds, has your opinion on Ergo Proxy possibly changed if you were to view it again? While their is an overarching story, the stand alone episodes are sort of in that same vein as Space Dandy if you go back and watch (Game Show ep, Smile Land ep, etc).
Cryptic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Really love the series discussion episodes so far.

Some suggestions for future episodes:

Evangelion - pretty much obligated to have an episode for it.

Escaflowne - one of the big 90's series that everyone loved.

Revolutionary Girl Utena - another popular 90s series with so much to talk about.

Baccano - a popular and fun series.

Berserk - the classic dark fantasy anime. Comparison between the 90's ova and the new movies would be interesting.

Read or Die/R.O.D. the TV - an old favorite that others have already suggested.

Ranma 1/2 - hasn't aged well and can get very dull and repetitive. But damn it was popular among the old guard anime fans. That would be worth some discussion.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Question for SuperNerds:

Thoughts on Funimation's implementation of "Broadcast Dubs"? In general, do you believe that North American anime companies are better served supplying the instant gratification of simulcasting, or taking their time to curate their output?

Suggested Series Topic: Ghost in the Shell (The movie AND stand alone complex) - groundbreaking science-fiction in anime that hasn't really been matched.
Iliketacos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Questions for Jason DeMarco:

I've heard that when deciding on a title to air, the quality of it's dub is a major factor. Were there any titles that you had to turn away due to the lack of a quality english dub?

Also, do you have any input on the dubbing process of longer running shows such as Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece that would still be in the process of being dubbed into english as it's airing?

Wanted to give my thanks to you folks at ANN and Toonami for all your efforts and giving me something to look forward to every week!
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, remember how way back in 2010 you tried to do a show with Ben Ettinger, but it wasn't fit to post because of audio problems or something? You should try getting him back on. Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but there seems to be a bit of a swell in interest in production stuff nowadays too, so now might be an especially good time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4