• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill vol 4 Shipped Out a Few Days Early

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
My order of KlK vol 4 LE shipped out today and Rightstuf already charged my debit card, so I was wondering how often does Rightstuf ship items before their official release date? How are they able to do this? Dont they, as retailers, suffer any consequences for releasing things before their official release date?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
depends on when they get shipments in. the earliest I've ever received something was the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya three weeks before the release date
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
They ship all kinds of stuff before it's released and, no it depends on the company whether they care if their products are released early. Anime companies don't seem to give a flip about that kind of thing, they already got paid for their product anyway. Usually Aniplex titles don't ship early though, so I do find it odd that yours did...and that I got a shipping notice for Koimonogatari as well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
"Street Date" is pretty much a fiction to begin with. The North American anime companies are just as likely to ship late as they are to ship early.

TRSI usually ships when they get the show from the manufacturer if you pre order. They continue to list the show as a pre order on their web site until the official street date.

Roberts Anime Corner Store also ships when they get the show. He (Robert) also posts on his web site that the show has been received as soon as he has enough copies to cover pre orders. I've ordered from him when he said a show was in and still gotten it a week or more before Street Date.

On one of his news letters a couple of months ago, Robert noted that he was responsible for payment when the merchandise is received. He stated he would wait to ship on the official date if they let him hold payment until that date. Very Happy

TLDR: there is no penalty for early shipping.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Earliest I've gotten something from TRSI is about 3 weeks. Most of the time its about a week. I think there was only 1-2 times that I got something from Amazon early and I think it was only by a day or so.

Tempest_Wing wrote:
How are they able to do this? don't they, as retailers, suffer any consequences for releasing things before their official release date?

You almost make it sound like you want them to be punished for your good fortune of getting it early. Wink I don't think its the same industry as others that rely on heavy advertising and hype to whip people into excitement to drive 1st day or 1st weekend sales. Yea, Apple is going to be ticked off if you start selling the newest version of iPhone ahead of time. They want the excitement, frenzy, long lines and the resulting media coverage of that excitement. The same can be said for video games or movies that are about to hit theaters. There are large machines behind those promotions and they don't want people jumping the gun whether that's with an early release or piracy.

Getting volume 4 of a show a few days early that only a small crowd of people are going to buy and which also doesn't have the same marketing machine as other industries seems relatively minor. Plus it makes most fans happy to get something a few days earlier than expected, so why screw with that. Finally, if it really bothered anime and manga companies that much you could be sure they would be clamping down on it and demanding fixed dates for when TRSI could ship. If they did this though it could also turn into a pain logistically for TSRI, so having some say so on when to ship gives them a little flexibility.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I got something shipped to me a few years back from TRSI like a month and a half before release date. Can't quite recall what it was. Not a 'big hit' series anyway.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I got something shipped to me a few years back from TRSI like a month and a half before release date. Can't quite recall what it was. Not a 'big hit' series anyway.

That happened to me as well recently with The Familiar of Zero Season 2, which I got more than a month before the street date. Cool
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks for reminding me to pick that up. Didn't realize it was so close to release.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
My order of KlK vol 4 LE shipped out today and Rightstuf already charged my debit card, so I was wondering how often does Rightstuf ship items before their official release date? How are they able to do this? don't they, as retailers, suffer any consequences for releasing things before their official release date?
Big studios would have their heads, but as mentioned, anime studios typically don't give two flips(at this point, they need the stores more than the stores need them).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Well, thanks for reminding me to pick that up. Didn't realize it was so close to release.

No problem.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
What happens is RightStuf or whatever retailer gets permission from the manufacture to ship items as soon as they hit their warehouse even if it's before street date.

I know because I talked to a Funimation and a Sentai rep at conventions about the practice and wanted to know if they care/knew about it.

This is Anime/Manga it's not like the hottest video game where people will resell it for a huge profit to get it early or write about the content with huge spoilers that could hurt sales.

I too on many of times got a Anime title early but as much as 1-2 months before street date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1