• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has anyone bought the Garden of Sinners bluray after they sold out? Tips?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to ask if anyone has purchased the Garden of Sinners Bluray collection set after Rightstuf ran out of imports.

I'm interested in buying them now after watching and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to get it or if anyone has any experiance buying it.

'Used' quality is fine as I expect the brand new prices to be ludacrious. One place I've looked at is Amazon's 3rd party retailer A_JAPAN is selling the collection. I've emailed them for further product details.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other avenues to try?

Also is it foolish to hope Japan/whoever will ever release a new collection set including all the movies together and sell in the US or they'll ever import more Aniplex of America versions? >>
Nico87

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
I'm curious to ask if anyone has purchased the Garden of Sinners Bluray collection set after Rightstuf ran out of imports.

I'm interested in buying them now after watching and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to get it or if anyone has any experiance buying it.

'Used' quality is fine as I expect the brand new prices to be ludacrious. One place I've looked at is Amazon's 3rd party retailer A_JAPAN is selling the collection. I've emailed them for further product details.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other avenues to try?

Also is it foolish to hope Japan/whoever will ever release a new collection set including all the movies together and sell in the US or they'll ever import more Aniplex of America versions? >>

You could import the Japanese Blu-ray box from Amazon. Comes with English subs but not the latest movie.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
There is that option, yeah, but there are a couple of versions.

This is what the first release looks like (the one I have):

And there is also a reissue of it that looks like this:

The top image is the first release that was released in Japan and imported to the US by AniplexUSA. It has films 1-7, a compilation film of all of those, and an epilogue film. It will not have as Nico mentioned, the latest film Mirai Fukuin aka Recalled Out Summer. In addition it comes with an artbook (there will also be a translation included in the set if it is the English version but not in the Japanese one). There's English subs and it is not region coded so it will play on any BD player.

The bottom one is the newer and more widely available reissue. It has films 1-7, and the compilation film, but I can not confirm whether it has the epilogue film, maybe someone who has it can confirm that for you though. It also does not contain Mirai Fukuin. There are English subs on this too, and it is also not region coded so it will play anywhere. Probably doesn't come with the artbook either, judging by the differeing sizes of the packaging.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
I own the AoA DVD LE version, but here is a pic of GoS BD reissue from Amazon Japan. To give you an idea of prices it's going for about $235 US whereas the first version on Amazon goes for ~$600.

Specs at Blu-ray.com
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't realize there was a compilation film. The AoA DVD LE, which I own, doesn't have it. Don't really care as I'm not much of a compilation film fan.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I own the AoA DVD LE version, but here is a pic of GoS BD reissue from Amazon Japan. To give you an idea of prices it's going for about $235 US whereas the first version on Amazon goes for ~$600.

Ouch, nice markup there. I only paid $398 for Rightstuf's version. Still a lot but not nearly as much. The reissue is the still the best available option, not to mention it looks more shelf-space friendly compared to mine.

Blood- wrote:
Huh, I didn't realize there was a compilation film. The AoA DVD LE, which I own, doesn't have it. Don't really care as I'm not much of a compilation film fan.

Does it have the 1st epilogue though? The basic plot is spoiler[Kokuto conversing with an entity inhabiting Shiki's body.] If not Aniplex might have withheld the 2 films as incentive to buy the BD release, but that doesn't really make sense since when they released that DVD set you couldn't buy the BD here anymore. Confused

As far as the compilation film goes, you aren't missing anything it's just a bunch of random clips thrown together from the other movies (I think it was just the first 6 films too) with no ryme or reason. It does put the movies in chronological order though rather than the slightly confusing movie release order. It's called The Gate of Seventh Heaven.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't even realize there were two versions.

I think I'm going to go for a used copy of the 1st bluray set. Looks like I can get that in the $400 range.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
@ Kruszer - yes, the DVD LE does have the epilogue film. I found it a complete snorefest, but I guess the completionist in me is glad it was included.
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The LE Blu-Ray release costs on average between 500-600 US dollars in good to excellent condition, I got lucky met a guy who bought it from Rightstuf never opened it and needed money. So I offered him the same amount he paid, cash 400 bucks on the spot since I didn't know how limited it was when it came out and missed my chance.

Your best bet if you want the LE Blu-Ray set is Ebay they come up now and then but the price has come way down from as high as 800-1000 dollars right after it went out of print.

Their is also the regular edition Blu-Ray set from Japan it cost between 350-400 dollars new and has all 8 movies as the LE set including the epilouge movie. Neither set has the compilation movie. I would get this version since it's in a nicer box set that will fit on your shelf and is not a pain in the ass to get to when you want to watch it like my LE set.

The new movies are available to order and come out in April and only cost 70 dollars, the Japanese version doesn't contain English Subtitles so I didn't import it even though I can understand enough Japanese.

If you are holding out for a Blu-Ray set that contains all the movies then don't waste your breath.

Aniplex never put out a regular US version Blu-Ray set and the new movies were Raw Japanese so even if one came out in Japan years from now I doubt the 2 new movies would have English Subtitles.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to leave this here, since it relates to the topic.

Garden of Sinners -recalled out summer- Blu-ray (S) Limited Edition ($69.98 4/21/15 via Rightstuf)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1