• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime Alphabet

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I'd have a hard time choosing between Evangelion and Eek! the Cat too.

As for Orguss, Mike writes:
Quote:
even as the local warlords notice his arrival, brand him an “anomaly,” and attempt to capture him.

Surely you mean they brand him as a "differentiated ideoblast". Because, US Renditions.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico has one of the great OP's, the Engrish "You Get to Burning", which I heard sung by Eri Kitamura and Minami Kuribayashi at Animelo Summer Live 2012.

Masami Okui cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m35gPjS0Dbs

Votoms OP "Honoo no Sadame" was also performed at Animelo Summer Live 2012, this time by the original performer Tetsuro Oda.

2009 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2r487PIlI4

I had never heard either song before, and they are both favourites now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Queen Millennia's only going to take another several years to get finished being fansubbed, unless we're talking about some craptastic 5th gen fansub for the whole show from the 90s or that mixed dub with Harlock from the 80s. I have seen the movie, and I think probably where the love of that story starts for most.

I wish Zipang had been continued. Cheap as it looked, it was still engaging, the kind of anime you could easily marathon because of how well each episode led to the next. That kind of time travel story is just too interesting for so little of it to have been made for the visual media.

I'm not about to watch Candy Candy unless some better quality gets released (Akage no Anne BD anyone?) so I instead started on a show that seems ridiculously similar and was probably directly inspired from it: Lady Georgie. It's alright, and the detailing is obviously better being from 1983, but she needs to grow up faster. I think it's also more accessible at less than half the length.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Nobody watching One Piece because its popular Rolling Eyes Find a better response please. One Piece is my favorite manga and even thought I know it isn't the best, I really like it and you can question my taste if you want but you can't say nobody watches something without actually knowing your facts but you clearly don't. Even if its exagerration of whatever.

I have to admit that Fate/Zero(Favorite anime), Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood(Second Favorite) and Hunter x Hunter(Third favorite) are superior in quality but One Piece still is first in my heart because of the enjoyabiility and the adventure. The characters are engrossing and their development are amazing, the worldbuilding is one of the best I seen, the arcs are all unique and interesting and their own ways even if some are weaker than others, heart warming moments everywhere, interesting themes and the comedy. Its just holds a special place in my heart despite not being my first anime.

Actually, my two first were Naruto and Dragon Ball Z yet they are quite weak, my third was okay(Bleach) and my fourth was good but not that good(Kenichi) and my fifth was the worst out of the five(Fairy Tail). Anyway, I think you should keep what you say an opinion instead of assuming some things
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
Nobody watching One Piece because its popular Rolling Eyes Find a better response please. One Piece is my favorite manga and even thought I know it isn't the best, I really like it and you can question my taste if you want but you can't say nobody watches something without actually knowing your facts but you clearly don't. Even if its exagerration of whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I would've liked to see Creamy Mami at least get mentioned for C. It might not even be the second best anime for that letter, but it's still a classic mahou shoujo series.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Do people really not remember Eden of the East? That's sad, because it's fantastic.
Then again, the Ergo Proxy ED is the only Radiohead song I've ever heard, so maybe there's EotE people and then there's Radiohead people...
EotE people are probably the general category of "people who like anime that take serious subject matter and add ridiculously cute characters". Which, yeah, seems to be separate from Radiohead people.
... I want to do my own one of these, and it will probably completely different from this. I want to do the cutesy-tastes version. Anime smile;

Edit:
I know what's missing... Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, Code Geass... CLAMP. Could've at least given them the X slot... For X or XxxHolic.

Last edited by LavenderMintRose on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy started with so much promise. After a few episodes it becomes obvious that the director,and Dai Sato have no idea what they want to do. It's paced so badly,especially those last episodes leading up to the train wreck of an ending. A shame too since it had the material to be excellent.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I would replace the letter I with what I believe to be the ultimate Moe show: Ikkoku Meirou no Croisse which is a historical piece set in 1800 turning to 1900 Paris starring the most adorable Moe girl ever to live Yune. Almost no one I know has even heard of such a show, but I honestly have yet to see a moe show that is as good as it.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, how close was my anime alphabetical power ranking to yours?

Alphabetical Anime... 2nd choices... Series only... Let's have a go at this...

non-alphabet... I only have two to choose from. Let's go with

009-1, very interesting aesthetic and nice story.
A for... Aoi Hana, very sweet and unconventional (for anime) love story. My second second choice would have been Angel Beats.
B for... Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. The anti-K-On!
C for... not Cowboy Bebop, Cat Planet Cuties, hits all the right notes for this sci-fi fan, and it's wonderfully optimistic too.
D for... Durarara!! Baccano's kid brother really is my second D choice as it seems to get lost in Baccano's shadow. Time to shine
E for... agreed with Ergo Proxy!
F for ... Full Metal Alchemist. The first one, with the original ending, the smaller story, and more emotional resonance, and also seems to be forgotten these days.
G for... Gosick. Someone not Australian license this already!
H for... Hyakko, a short and sweet high school comedy that doesn't outstay its welcome.
I for... IGPX Immortal Grand Prix, the last Saturday morning toon that I liked.
J for... got nothing. I only have one J anime, and I'm not that keen on that one either.
K for... Kurau Phantom Memory, a nice sci-fi action show that a Sojitz landmine that killed ADV.
L for... Legend of the Dragon Kings, one of the shows that got me into anime way back when, known as Legend of the Four Kings in the UK, with a notoriously bad Manga dub, and even worse ending, but a fun, if tedious ride while it lasted. Nostalgia!
M for... Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, the Kenji Kamiyama show that isn't GITSSAC or Eden of the East.
N for... Niea_7, there's something about this show that really appeals to the Thatcher era British kid in me...
O for... I was going to go Orguss 02, but I'll opt for Otogi Zoshi, another slow and heavy going watch, but eventually rewarding.
P for... Please Teacher/Twins, bit of a cheat, but they feel like the same show to me, back when anime could do wrong but still make it feel right. Nowadays they don't bother with the feel right bit anymore.
Q for... again...got nothing.
R for... Rideback, a familiar story but given enough of a twist to make it feel original. Besides, anything that uses the term spread legs mode with a straight face has to be worth a watch.
S for... Salaryman Kintaro. Anime made a soap opera!
T for... Tsukihime Lunar Legend, cousin to Garden of Sinners, a show that grows on me the more I watch it, and I didn't think much of it at first.
U for... Utawarerumono. I just love saying Utawarerumono.
V for... Vampire Princess Miyu, got me into anime the second time around, for the DVD era...
W for... Welcome to the NHK, holds up a harsh mirror at times, but is a great story.
X for... xxxHolic... Yuko's legs!
Y for... Yugo the Negotiator. Frankly I didn't have a lot of Y to choose from.
And I had no Z whatsoever.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Why not Saber Marionette? It's got practicality the whole alphabet wrapped up in one show. Well at least J to x and Z... Razz
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
My first girlfriend's parents had done the Marmalade Boy thing; not all living together, but her parents' exes were married, and she had half-brothers from the first marriages. Fun time.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Ergo Proxy started with so much promise. After a few episodes it becomes obvious that the director,and Dai Sato have no idea what they want to do. It's paced so badly,especially those last episodes leading up to the train wreck of an ending. A shame too since it had the material to be excellent.

Funny thing is that I found the ending quite perfect. A decent number of the late middle episodes are confusing, but the ending makes it all make sense. I felt after the ending that it was a rare case of exactly enough information being given out so that the world remained somewhat confusing while you watched, yet was in the end completely coherent.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised you just name-check Eden of the East, but leave it at that. And that Flag, and Now and Then, Here and There doesn't even get shout-outs!

(...yeah, yeah, I know trying to get anybody to remember Mahoromatic is a losing battle, so I'll stop fighting that one...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Glad Teekyu got a mention, I knew Mike liked that series, it's a lot of fun. But then Witch Hunter Robin...yuck. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mathias2001 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Wow, I didn't know since a joke is normally funny. There were a lot of funny jokes in this and I do say a lot but whether it was sarcasm or just to make people life, this one wasn't funny not because it was One Piece that was targetted but because it was dry(the joke).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5