• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Update Suggestions to The Rules

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I've edited this post to make it more constructive (the original post appeared in an anime discussion thread). Thank you to whichever mod created this thread here.

{Am inserting a copy of "Teh Rules" in order to more easily facilitate discussion. ~nbahn}

Teh Rules are a work in progress. Discussion, disagreement, criticism, comments and suggestions are all permitted.

As for "Teh", it's a joke regarding a spelling mistake that I frequently make. I'm not the first person to post "Teh Rules", I claim no originality in naming them as such, it has been done before.

The administrators of this forum hope to promote an environment of intelligent conversation, we would prefer to hear your thoughts or questions behind the meaning of a particular anime, not what anime character you'd like to date. Silly topics are acceptable from time to time, but if and when they become to too prevalent the forum moderators have the right to close (lock) them even if they do not break any of the specific rules outlined here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Above all else: Be Polite

1. Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.
  2. English Language Usage
    1. These forums are English-language forums. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.
  3. Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, then do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute. A more in-depth discussion of this topic can be found here.
  4. Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
  5. Signatures are disabled. Do not make "fake" signatures.
  6. Do not excessively quote. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part. See here for elaboration.
  7. Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-charged, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.
  8. Moderation
    1. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time for any reason. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again. If you feel a thread should be locked, click on any post's red-exclamation mark icon.
    2. Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post, then please click on the red-exclamation-mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.
    3. No "Back Seat Moderating" - If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.
  9. Commerce
    1. No Commerce is allowed outside of either the Retail or Subscriber Personal Sales Forum! ANN's forums are not to be used to sell, buy or transfer goods or services. Users may not post their own commercial endeavors or link to commercial websites unless specifically requested by another poster. Personal websites may be linked as necessary, provided that it is requested or relevant to the discussion. Users who have been hired to advertise for specific items will be banned.
    2. Subscribers may use the Subscriber Personal Sales Forum to sell their personal property (see rules here),
    3. Commerce is allowed in the Retail Forum! However, in the regular Retail Forum commerce is limited to commercial websites only. Individuals seeking to sell items in the regular retail forum are not permitted. Links to online auctions are not permitted in the regular retail forum. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #10 will be removed and their URLs banned (see Rule #12).
  10. Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.
  11. While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message (see rule #8b). Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, not Anime News Network. Additionally, statements by Anime News Network staff on this forum are personal opinions and may not reflect the views of Anime News Network as a whole.
  12. This forum has banned a number of URLs to known bootlegging websites. If a user posts an URL that displays as [This URL is a Known Bootlegging website], or a similar warning message, the user may not evade the censor. Users that evade the censor may be punished.
  13. Use the search engine and read the site. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads on in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
  14. Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why... Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. While the answers may be obvious to you (because you're such a knowledgeable and intelligent person) they might not be quite so obvious to those that are less versed in the ways of Anime. Even if you think that that it's just plain common sense and that the questioner is lacking it, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.
  15. Necroposting is discussed here.
  16. What to do if you've been banned
  17. Speculation is discussed here.

[Privacy Statement]
The information you enter during your registration is stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent we cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempts that may lead to the data being compromised. If data entered is requested by law authorities, we will comply fully with their request.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any information about you, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure by saving your forum settings. Your email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one). Your IP address will be logged with each post but will only be viewable to administrators and moderators.

Concluding Statements:
If you think something is unfair, private message Tempest and explain the situation. We will consider the complaint as fairly as we are capable of doing.

Last edited by Blood- on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The posting of several images in a single post is not considered uncivil - it's frowned upon for bandwidth and eyesore reasons, if I had to guess. It's one of those "unofficial" rules that doesn't seem to be codified anywhere (not in Teh Rules, at least, unless I missed it). I really wish ANN would update the rules so that they are all in one place and written down. I've made that point recently a few times but sadly no one seems to give a shit so we are stuck with these "ad hoc" situations.

I'm a bit busy right now, but if you would please open a thread in the Feedback forum, then I'd make a point of bringing up the issue with Chris Macdonald.

EDIT: Just to be clear -- I will not touch "Teh Rules" unless I am given explicit permission.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
This topic was not appropriate for the Kill la Kill thread and apparently has been an issue to some for a while.

I've never felt it was the moderators' place to modify Teh Rules without Chris Macdonalds' permission. Until he feels it is necessary to do so or gives us permission to do so, the mods are not touching it (or at least I'm not).

However, we can open a discussion thread on how it can be improved and if there are any other rules that people feel need to be added. The ideas can then be discussed privately by the mods and admins behind the scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy to see this thread. I think it is important for users to have all the various rules outlined in one place and I believe it will make the moderators' jobs easier as well.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few examples for updating:

1) I personally don't agree with the "use spoiler tags" to hide important plot points of currently airing shows. I think it should be up to readers to either be up to date on episodes or go in knowing you will probably read things that - to you - are spoilers (they won't be to those who have seen the episode in question). However, if this is going to be an enforced policy, it should be noted in Teh Rules.

2) Where I think spoiler tags MUST be used is when posters refer to source material events that HAVE NOT APPEARED in the adaptation yet. I.e.: "I can't wait for next episode because if it follows the manga, the entire cast gets killed!" I also think that major plot reveals for old shows should be spoiler tagged, especially when they appear in threads that are not dedicated to discussion of that show. I.e. a thread discussing "Magical Girl Big Tah-tahs" and some poster wanders in, "wow, that scene in the last episode totally reminds of the time Light and L got it on at the hot springs!" Not everyone has seen every classic title out there. Don't spoil stuff for peeps. Anyhoo, I'd love to see this codified in Teh Rules.

3) We need guidance on posting images. Apparently, posting too many in a single post is a no-no.

4) Rule 6 about excessively quoting should have a link to the relevant Talkback thread that deals with the subject.

If I think of any more, I'll post them later.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I do not know if we necessarily need an update to Teh Rules.

For what we have been discussing, debating, and disagreeing about recently I think that clarifying the guidelines and policies posted here in this forum would probably be sufficient.

Right now I think that we have threads for quoting, listing, necroposting, and speculating.

I suggest that spoilers be added.

One good start, in my opinion, would be to have "Guidelines" or "Policy" in the title of each thread.

In general I think that it is not necessary to have exact detailed rules as part of the policy.
I believe that moderators should be allowed to use their own judgement to determine what is excessive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Touma, your post makes zero sense. It makes ZERO SENSE. There is a section that all new users are invited to read called Teh Rules. So what you're saying is that new users should read that... and then somehow discover any related threads in this totally different forum? How is that even remotely sensible? Do you realize that there are "rules" that mods enforce THAT AREN'T WRITTEN DOWN ANY WHERE??? That doesn't suggest that, oh, I dunno, maybe those rules should be added to Teh Rules? Really? Honestly?

Jesus friggin' Christ. I think I honestly gotta stop coming to ANN because the sheer level of stupidity I encounter on the part of some posters is, I swear, shortening my life.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
^
Now, now Blood- -- just take a deep breath (in with the good, out with the bad).....

On to a different subject:
The last time I discussed this with Chris Macdonald he made it extremely clear that he was not going to expand "Teh Rules" because it was big/long enough as it is right now. Therefore, I submit that that if we do submit any more rules, then it should be in the format of the last two rules that are both one sentence long and contain a link to a thread with a discussion.
Tempest wrote:
Necroposting is discussed here.

What to do if you've been banned
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
The last time I discussed this with Chris Macdonald he made it extremely clear that he was not going to expand "Teh Rules" because it was big/long enough as it is right now.

I believe that you mentioned that in the discussion that led to the creation of this thread.
That is why I said that it would probably be possible to accomplish what is needed without having him change Teh Rules.

Quote:
Therefore, I submit that that if we do submit any more rules, then it should be in the format of the last two rules that are both one sentence long and contain a link to a thread with a discussion.

That seems like a reasonable course.
Get things in order here and link to the appropriate threads.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
*completes Zen calming exercise*

Sure, I get wanting to keep Teh Rules as lean and mean as possible. I'm fine with a relatively brief mention there and a link that then goes to the relevant thread here where there is more room to expound upon the topic and give specific examples to help guide people.

eta: oh, I forgot to mention this: in Teh Rules forum there is a thread called "Location" Must Be Your Location which stipulates your location field must be where you actually are. Obviously this rule is not being enforced, so it might as well be deleted.

Plus the rule against making lists without providing reasons should be added to Teh Rules thread (it currently exists as its own thread in that forum).

In fact any rule that exists as a separate thread should have the rule transferred to Teh Rules thread and then that separate thread should be deleted.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I've inserted a copy of "Teh Rules" so that Blood- and I can easily play around with edits. Any edits I make will be in red.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think I have already mentioned all the updates I have noticed, but if anything else occurs to me, I'll add it in as you suggest, nbahn. Would you like me to use a different color than red to distinguish my edits from yours?

eta: I'll go back and make my edits with respect to my points above when I have a bit more time and energy.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
^
Just make your edits in red. If you modify an existing sentence, then please make sure to use strikeout tags on the entire sentence. The goal is to make it easy for Chris Macdonald to skim and scan the proposed edits.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
If you can make the rules shorter, I'm all for it.

If they get longer... I'm unlikely to approve any changes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Do we really need a specific rule regarding signatures? They are disabled and I can't remember the last time I have ever seen someone warned about it. If the goal is to not make the rules longer but we need to add some new ones then we need to subtract some or condense. If admin want the signature rule kept maybe merge it with #5.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
^
People do make their own signatures even though doing so is not allowed, for example mgosdin, Emerje, and Tempest . . . oh. Uh . . . that might explain why the mods throughout the years have typically been rather lax on signature enforcement.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8