• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that nobody mentioned this:

Discotek Media wrote:
Question for classic anime fans. If Discotek decided to start a pre-ordering system for certain classic titles that might not be released otherwise, would you be interested?

Details are still being discussed and no decision has been made yet. We are looking at possible options though. This would not be through a Kickstarter site but probably through the Discotek web site or another site made for this purpose. This would be a little bit different than a normal crowd funding project.

The basic idea is this:

We would put up a title to be released if pre-orders reach a certain amount.

Title will be released exclusively to purchasers from the web site for about 6 months and only available to buyers who pre-ordered in the first month.

After the 6 months it may be entered into normal distribution if sales are strong enough or it will be put out of print.

Everyone that pre-orders will get their name on the DVD credits as a supporter. The price will be the same for everyone that pre-orders.

There won’t be special tiers or extra prizes. This is just to get a show released and translated that normally wouldn’t be and at the same time include everyone that helped out.

We will keep the crowd funding price of the set down to a reasonable amount. Let’s say for example $60 for a 26 episode series to get it translated, authored, manufactured.

We would do it based on number of sets pre-ordered and not total dollar amount for the funding. We will keep the pre-order requirements lower to reach the goal easier so the success rate is higher.

We would potentially do two of these per year. One in the January-February area and one in the October-November area.

The anime would be something from the 1970’s, 1980’s, or even maybe the 1990’s. But it would remain titles that would not likely get a normal release. This would be mainly DVD only to keep costs down but we may possibly do a Blu Ray of something more obscure at some point using this method.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote
That sounds very interesting! Depending on the show I'd definitely be interested. I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a potential Doraemon release for god knows how long and this is giving me a little bit of hope that it might still see the light of day.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I dig that idea a lot.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Usual spiel. Please fund Dororo and Alabaster, etc.
F-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They only have that realistic chance because they have no definite end date for pledging, otherwise they'd have all failed if given a month or two.

Dororo's first set made it in 2 months and a half despite no deadline. The second set however is at over 4 months and counting and still only one fourth of the way there...

On the subject of Anime Sols, whenever they finally get Black Jack DVD set 3 crowdfunding, they better promise a delivery time as short as it took for Set 1, otherwise people will have just lost interest. There's already been enough damage as it is... Delaying the next sets was one of the worst ideas AnimeSols ever had.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know where Pied Piper is on the English release of the Time of Eve: Another Act Novel? All I'm seeing in their emails is stuff about that artbook.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Anyone know where Pied Piper is on the English release of the Time of Eve: Another Act Novel? All I'm seeing in their emails is stuff about that artbook.

I'm curious about this too. The last email I got in regards to Another Act was at the end of November and I think it was supposed to originally ship at the end of January. I'm guessing here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the errors found in the original fanbook affected the Another Act release. They maybe coming from the same printer and in order to save on shipping costs they might have intended to ship everything together to the distribution center. The fanbook got pushed back to the end of February for shipping, so it might have impacted Another Act as well. Still a little surprised that there hasn't been an update on this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Probably would be good to ask them directly. I can imagine that they'll want to save on shipping and so will probably be shipping the novel, fan book book, and Chayama's art book together, but I haven't seen an update specifically for the novel in some time.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I would find that kind of annoying since that stuff doesn't interest me, and as far as I know I didn't sign up to receive them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Alright, 4 days, and around $8,500 left for Alabaster.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
Dororo's first set made it in 2 months and a half despite no deadline. The second set however is at over 4 months and counting and still only one fourth of the way there...

Just transferred my big Wonder 3 pledge over to Dororo's second set. This means goodbye Wonder 3, but hopefully people will finally jump in and help us get the complete Dororo series now?

Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
There's a Kickstarter for an animated short film called Devil's Legacy: The Animated Series advertised on ANN here and with the actual project page here. Despite the name it's attempting to fund an 8-10 minute short film, not a series, although some of the higher stretch goals would yield a couple of episodes.

The project page is a little confusing in places such as promising over 100 characters in a 10-minute film or addressing the reader in second-person about performing acts within the story as if they were making a video game instead of a film. This may have something to do with the planned Occulus Rift support for the film.

There was a lively discussion thread on the ANN ad which even included responses from someone who's part of the project but ANN moderators have deleted and locked it, which is unfortunate.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
There's a Kickstarter for an animated short film called Devil's Legacy: The Animated Series advertised on ANN

There was a lively discussion thread on the ANN ad which even included responses from someone who's part of the project but ANN moderators have deleted and locked it, which is unfortunate.

I was hoping to check back in on that thread since I offered some constructive feedback on that topic, and since one of the people involved was participating. Was there a reason for the deletion given prior to it being locked?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I was hoping to check back in on that thread since I offered some constructive feedback on that topic, and since one of the people involved was participating. Was there a reason for the deletion given prior to it being locked?

I couldn't telly you; I wasn't witness to the last post in the original thread; I just checked on it to find it replaced with one post proclaiming the thread locked.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
If people are still interested in talking about Devil's Legacy specifically, I made a new thread for it here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 30