• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Personally I felt the "medical examination" scene with Tusk was just as tasteless as all the other sexual assault instances in this show. It wasn't more or less tasteless because it was a dude.

I won't argue it wasn't tasteless but it was pretty funny.

For the sake of argument (and we do like to argue here don't we) I would be willing to assert that the situation was not that implausible for the fictive world we are in. A population of active, healthy and curious females who apparently have working knowledge of sex but no contact with the opposite gender suddenly have access to a non-threatening male. Of course some of them might act in an inappropriately aggressive way. It isn't like they have been getting corporate sexual harassment training. On top of that CA has from the very get go cast women as much as the men as sexual aggressors so it was fully consistent.

As for Ange's role, before we go on about how cheesy and trashy this anime has become, mainstream live action entertainment routinely does much worse than this for a gag. Cameron Diaz would have no problem whatever playing Ange's role in that scene.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm not sure what Theron is referring to there but speaking as an administrator, we are interested in promoting equality.

I was trying to be clear that what I was saying was my own interpretation and not something that I was mandating as a Moderator, nor the site's official position. Apparently I did that badly.

I am also dropping the point, since I can't see anything good coming from discussing it further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
So we've finally shifted gears. Now it's tragedy time, old time Tomino tragedy time. Dead characters no matter how cool remain dead.
I just can't see a Matrix development here. It's more along the lines "we can't save anyone on the old earth so let's blow this thing apart and go home". Home being Salako's earth. Man these 4 final episodes sure are going to be crazy. Twisted Evil
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
I'll wait until the review comes up before discussing it in full but wooh boy was this episode crazy. You can make fun of his name, his haircut or his knowledge on Greek and Roman mythology, but it can't be denied: Embryo is looking near unstoppable right now. What's really scary's that he hasn't even stepped into his Ragna-mail for this half and he's already terrifying. And Seki was using his Masaki villain voice in this ep, was great to hear that as a fan of Zeorymer.

Music was especially on par in this episode, got a good amount of mecha action. Yeah, I digged this episode.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Bloody hell... just... bloody hell...

On the one hand, I hate Sunrise so much for what they did towards the end of episode 21. On the other hand, that was, by any yardstick, an amazing episode. Sometimes, the best shows are the ones that know how to stick the knife in and twist it.

If it weren't for the towering pillar of icy-perfection that is Madoka Magica, I would say that this is my favorite show that I've seen this decade (and indeed, for quite a bit longer than that). As it is, provided they don't screw up the ending, it could well be my favorite Sunrise show of all time.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

Well .. what did you expect? This type of anime comes from a long tradition of beating down the good guys to unimaginably low levels before they prevail. It is just the way things are done. And CA has shown time and again it is going to play a hardball game.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:

Well .. what did you expect? This type of anime comes from a long tradition of beating down the good guys do unimaginably low levels before they prevail. It is just the way things are done. And CA has shown time and again it is going to play a hardball game.

I have no problem with that. Except spoiler[ damn 2 characters in one go instead of one. That's hard to swallow. Poor Ange, never to realise Ange's Cafe'. ]

This episode convinced me that Embryo is some kind of AI. Maybe the soul of the original scientist was downloaded somewhere. In any case he's no God and he's no man either.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:

Well .. what did you expect? This type of anime comes from a long tradition of beating down the good guys do unimaginably low levels before they prevail. It is just the way things are done. And CA has shown time and again it is going to play a hardball game.

I'm struggling to think of another protagonist who has been put through quite as much hell as Ange. Ikari Shinji, perhaps? But in his case, his troubles come as much from within as from external sources. Maybe Victory Gundam's Uso Ewin? That was an insanely bleak Sunrise show, which CA increasingly gives me a similar vibe to. Possibly Mai-Hime's (another show CA sometimes feels similar to) Tokiha Mai? She spends much of the second half of her show getting her face rubbed in the dirt (metaphorically, mostly). But even that feels a bit diluted compared to what they're putting Ange through.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

I have no problem with that. Except spoiler[ damn 2 characters in one go instead of one. That's hard to swallow. Poor Ange, never to realise Ange's Cafe'. ]

This episode convinced me that Embryo is some kind of AI. Maybe the soul of the original scientist was downloaded somewhere. In any case he's no God and he's no man either.

They've done a good job of making me really, really hate him. Can't remember the last villain I hated this much.

I've noted that he needs to die before he can "reincarnate"? Perhaps the solution is to keep him alive... in interesting ways... for years. Bits of him anyway. You don't need all of him.

Ange was almost there when she impaled his hand on the table with a knife. He didn't like that much. The mistake was to go on and kill him.

{Instead of posting multiple consecutive posts please just post 1 post with all the comments you are responding to. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
11/10 :'(

The new OST was AMAZINGGGGGGG!!!

Momoka Oginome being a BOSS :'( I cried :'(
Tusk being a selfless hero :'( I cried again :'(
Ange being sad, I cried again :'(

The action scene were goooooood, the emotion was dripping from every scene, this is how you do a show.

Chris's story was WEAK and peer pressure is a horrible thing, but the ring that Embryo gave her might be affecting her mind.

Embryo being a demon or something might be a hint of a greater evil, and POSSIBLE SEASON 2! :O

Ange may go back into the past with Villkiss and rewrite the past or Embryo realizes his mistake at the end and revives everyone even Mamika who just died, such devotion to her friends and teammates, I cried :'(
bobob101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I would say that there is a chance Tusk might survive, partly because we didn't see him get shot in a vital region, and partly because this is anime.

I also want to say that I love the choice to allow embryo to come back from every death. He is a real bastard, so every time ange stabs, shoots, punches, chokes, and just injures in general is fun to watch, even if there is no lasting effect.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, the spoiler[deaths of Momoka and Tusk] {Will you please use spoiler tags???!!! ~nbahn} seems to be perfectly functional in the context of the story and the characterization given but personally, I feel that there was not enough for me to be shocked or emotionally charged by the spoiler[deaths]. {Will you please read this posting?! ~nbahn}

I didn't get much insight on how much Momoka was a part of Ange's life, just implication. This is not that bad since Momoka's faith has shined through more than enough times but I think that left Momoka without any real personality.

Tusk on the other hand is a much more contested one. On one hand, I really dislike the romance between him and Ange: too quick, not enough individual time for growth, Ange's treatment of Tusk seems to break any real commitment or severity for the sake of jokes. On the other hand, I will not be blind and say that Tusk wasn't a positive influence on Ange through their relation. Tusk helped Ange open up and smile in many ways.

As for other details:
-Chris's reasoning is sound but I really don't remember seeing Chris being put into that position in the show itself. Maybe this is more an issue with my memory but Hilda, Rosalie and Chris seemed to get along really well and I don't recall any issues.

-Erisha's mind is probably broken now and this could lead to her going manic but how this impact everyone else has yet to be seen.

-Embryo reminds me of Hellsing's Schrodinger at this point. his ability to die and reform like he does and the fact that Tusk used "non-deterministic" to describe him makes me believe that he is not using quantum suicide but rather the uncertainty principle. Basically, instead of having it so that, according to the multiple world interpretation, Embryo can't experience death so he always views himself in a universe that has him alive, he is acting as his own observer and moving himself from location to location or even multiple based on manipulation of his quantum wave function.
(note, this is based purely on wiki information and extreme extrapolation, any one more versed in quantum physics can skewer me as they wish)
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I had the understanding that quantum suicide was a spin-off of the uncertainty principle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I had thought the use of spoiler tags to cover things explicitly mentioned in the article being discussed had been ruled unnecessary (and rather obnoxious) for the episode review threads.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
^
I must have missed that particular memo; may I trouble you to link to it, please?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
^^ That was my impression as well. Also, the last official word on this I've heard was this back in July:
Tony K. wrote:
The courtesy of spoiler tags or some kind of notifier is completely dependent on the user posting the spoilers. So really, it just comes down to your own personal definition of what qualifies as "courteous."

I suppose it if became a problem for certain users to who *constantly* spoil things with total disregard could be placed on Moderation or something. But at this point, I suppose just being "more considerate" is all we've really established and continue to ask for.

Personally, I think it's long past time for some definitive codification on this issue so everyone's on the same page, especially the moderators, who don't seem to be.

@nbahn: Touma's post below the one I quoted is also relevent to your question. I'm surprised you didn't note it then if you disagreed since you posted two posts down from it.

Anyway, back on topic; while I don't care either way, I'll be shocked if we don't see more of spoiler[Tusk at least, and likely Momoko too. After all, he did promise her he'd join up with her again.] This is one of those cases where I'm a spoiler["show me the body"] kind of viewer, especially given the fluid nature of reality in Ange's world. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 43