• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
I'll wait until the review comes up before discussing it in full but wooh boy was this episode crazy.

There is another thread for discussing Cross Ange, so there's no real reason to wait for the episode review to post about it. Heh... It's the discussion thread, but it's only about 2/3-3/4 the length of this one.

Since this thread is supposedly all about the reviews, I'm slightly surprised by all the posts that pop up before the review does... ^^
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
^
I must have missed that particular memo; may I trouble you to link to it, please?
I guess there was no official call on it, but Theron mentions it here. Spoilers certainly haven't been policed in Episode Review threads, so I assumed that was the policy.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
@Ingraman: For some mythical reason, at the time I made that post, I forgot about the other thread. I've even posted in there before lol. Doesn't help that this thread's more popular as well.

I was getting behind Chris's reasoning at first (though she seems to have forgotten that Hilda took a bullet for her) and she's always been clingy and rather spiteful (she spat in Hilda's face and was scared about Rosalie leaving her). Plus she's a hanger on who latches onto stronger people for her needs, so I'm not surprised at her sticking with Embryo. Then she started talking about her hair and that was really petty. Seems to me like Rosalie was more the one getting short changed in the relationship, the power dynamics always had her at the bottom.

EDIT: Haruto was in the arcade game Hilda and Rosalie were playing.

Last edited by Souther on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio--
Thanks for the link.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
This is the first I've bothered to look into Cross Ange for any reason. After reading the review of the first three episodes, all I can say of the script writers is that someone has been reading Candide, and A Song Of Ice And Fire.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
I was getting behind Chris's reasoning at first (though she seems to have forgotten that Hilda took a bullet for her) and she's always been clingy and rather spiteful (she spat in Hilda's face and was scared about Rosalie leaving her). Plus she's a hanger on who latches onto stronger people for her needs, so I'm not surprised at her sticking with Embryo. Then she started talking about her hair and that was really petty. Seems to me like Rosalie was more the one getting short changed in the relationship, the power dynamics always had her at the bottom.

Yeah, Chris's logic seemed fairly petty to me, too, and I agree with your interpretation of her character.

Quote:
EDIT: Haruto was in the arcade game Hilda and Rosalie were playing.

Oh, geez, you're right (and I'm just wrapping up a review for that series, so I should have caught it):

Hard to tell, but that could be L-elf he's fighting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, Chris's logic seemed fairly petty to me, too, and I agree with your interpretation of her character.

That wasn't "Chris's" logic -- that was her pique amplified and manipulated by Embryo. Without that interference she could have been content to be playmate of Rosalie and Hilda forever or at least separate under more normal terms. If she survives no doubt she will repent/repudiate her current attitude.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
^^Oh my god, that is Haruto and L-Elf in the game.

I guess we may not fully know to what extent that Chris has had her weakness taken advantage of. The reasoning did seem fairly petty, but in line with what we had seen.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Director Fukuda Mitsuo tweeted storyboard images showing that Tusk had strapped enough C4 explosives to himself to blow up Embryo.

Japanese broadcast regulations, and concerns on terrorism depictions, led to censoring that scene.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Director Fukuda Mitsuo tweeted storyboard images showing that Tusk had strapped enough C4 explosives to himself to blow up Embryo.

Japanese broadcast regulations, and concerns on terrorism depictions, led to censoring that scene.

Really? How fascinating. Terror in Resonance got away with lots of scenes showing explosives and terrorism.

Wonder if this is related to recent events in the Middle East? Or perhaps it was the suicide-vest thing that was going too far?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
Wonder if this is related to recent events in the Middle East? Or perhaps it was the suicide-vest thing that was going too far?

I have no doubt that it's the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I can relate to Chris in this episode. Hair is a really big deal.

Zac wrote:
Sexism against men can exist and the mods and administrative staff here are aware of that.

Personally I felt the "medical examination" scene with Tusk was just as tasteless as all the other sexual assault instances in this show. It wasn't more or less tasteless because it was a dude.

I'm not sure what Theron is referring to there but speaking as an administrator, we are interested in promoting equality.

I wasn't saying it was worse because a dude was the victim, but because of how the scene was treated as a joke.

In any case, this is good to hear. I was worried there.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

Although very sad, I would have preferred for Tusk to stay dead. I wanted Ange and Hilda to end as a couple. It was funny to hear Ange (during the next episode preview) talk to Tusk about how conveniently he avoided death.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I've posted in more detail over in the general discussion thread, but the one thing I'd repeat in specific reference to the review is the Tusk/Momoka point.

Momoka has at least a plausible explanation for how she survived. Tusk doesn't and he sidesteps rather than denying Ange's question as to whether he's been resurrected. He's also magically healed of his wounds (while Momoka at least has a frying pan with a bullet in it to show). He does, however, deny that he is an Embryo-puppet.

They're also on an island that it is implied it took Ange some time to fly to, despite not having a visible means of transportation to get there.

And at the same time, Ange is now pretty comfortable with using her ring to teleport around the Vilkiss. My guess is that the combination of the ring and something in the royal bloodline means that she has at least some measure of the same powers that Embryo does now. If Tusk's back from the dead, it's probably Ange's wish that brought him back. Momoka... who knows? I'm more impressed that she managed to whip up that dinner despite not having the Light of Mana this time.

To be honest, even though it could be a cop-out, I'm kinda glad they're not dead. Tusk has grown on me a bit over the course of the series, and the idea of any ending to this show which involves a dead Momoka is unimaginably bleak.

Edit: Also, the theory that the whole thing is just Ange's delusion, while amusing (I've seen it suggested elsewhere that she just gave her virginity to an extremely surprised sea-turtle), is disprovable. Ange had no way of knowing there was a second para-mail hidden on the island, let alone how to find its hiding place.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Being able to make an improbably sumptuous meal out of poor ingredients and/or cooking conditions is a long-standing anime/manga joke. My-Otome parodied it in 2005, and I know it dates at least as far back as 2001's Mahoromatic - Automatic Maiden. (And I'd be surprised if that was its first occurrence.)

And the possibility that Tusk and Momoka are there because Ange's ability to use both the song and Villkiss are allowing her to subconsciously tap into Embryo's power is an interesting one. Still feels gimmicky, but at least there would be some logical basis for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 43