• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ordering "My Anime" List based on Order Watched, not Alphabetically

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estelle the White Mage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I have a question regarding ordering the "My Anime" List.

I don't like the list to be in alphabetical order, but rather in the order that I watched the shows, oldest at the top followed by most recently watched at the bottom.
Is there a way to do this, either with some settings, or creating a custom category?

Any help is appreciated Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It looks like there is a way, but it is indirect. If you assign each show you watch a number in the Comment section: 1 for the first show you watch, 2 for the next and so on, then click on the triangle that points down at the top of the Comment box, your list will be ordered from the largest number down to 1. Since the largest number will always be the most recent show you've added and 1 will always be the first show you watched, your list will be ordered the way you want.
Estelle the White Mage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
This answered my question, Blood-!
Thank you for your help!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome. Actually, I only discovered this method because of your question. When I first read it, my initial thought was that there was no way to do what you wanted. Then, just for larfs, I went into My Anime and looked at my "Want to See" list. I clicked on the up and down arrows in the Title section, and as expected, all that does is list titles from A to Z or Z to A. Then I noticed the up and down arrows in the comments section, but I had no idea what they actually did. I clicked on them, and I could tell they were re-arranging the titles but I couldn't initially figure out what the significance was. That's when I noticed it was arranging numbers either from lowest to highest, or highest to lowest.

tl;dr - thanks to your question, I learned something I didn't know before. Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Indeed, sorting by comments (IIRC a suggestion of mine a number of years ago) will order the titles based on the first character in the comments box, whether it's a number, a letter, or a symbol. It's a good way to create a custom arrangement like by watching order, or to sort out titles that have no comment at all, since blank fields will go to the top or bottom of the list.

Though for the numbering, it would be good to add zeros at the start. Going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... will lead to things going out of order very quickly, but going 001, 002, 003... will last a long time, and 0001, 0002, 0003... will last even longer.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...and 0001, 0002, 0003... will last even longer.

Indeed. I can't imagine myself seeing ten thousand titles (I'd burn myself out long before that happens), and I watch more anime than most, so a four-digit code is plenty for us mere mortals.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Though for the numbering, it would be good to add zeros at the start. Going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... will lead to things going out of order very quickly

Actually, no. Comments are sorted numerically first and lexicographically second. So '2' is sorted before '10'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
'2' is sorted before '10'.

I was not expecting that, but I just confirmed it with one of my own custom lists.
This definitely simplifies the creation of numerical lists.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1