• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
How about we all tone it down a notch and get off (no pun intended) the subject of male on male oral sex and back to the topic of the show. People have taken this line of discussion a bit too far and some of you need to calm down.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed Alessi's first episode. He could be a tiny bit less annoying, and I do have a small problem with Jotaro being clueless about baby polnareff considering he just warned him about an enemy's presence only to disappear afterwards...but overall the whole thing felt pretty "Arakiesque" in the sense that it's quite original as stand battles go and I don't feel the obvious fanservice scene with the sexy egyptian lady is awkward or badly misplaced. I don't even consider it's supposed to be funny, just bizarre. If you can't accuse JoJo of something is of being ecchi or pandering in this way, so I really don't feel it was too awkward or an issue in itself.

Having said all this, it wasn't better than the whole Mariah fight, but then again it doesn't need to be. Actually every Polnareff fight is enjoyable in one way or another.
mazzmoney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the plot conveniences that came with Set's power, but other than that I found this to be a funny, enjoyable episode that looks less enjoyable because its place before (apparently) all these great stand battles and after a lot of better stand battles.

I feel like if we had gotten this episode last season, it would have been a highlight of an otherwise mediocre season that had much worse stand fights.
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
mazzmoney wrote:
I feel like if we had gotten this episode last season, it would have been a highlight of an otherwise mediocre season that had much worse stand fights.

I don't mean to sound rude, but this is the third cour of the same season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (the second season of JJBA and branded the Egypt Arc starting on episode 25 for convenience).

I don't understand why but some media outlets, including the very ANN we're posting on, is restarting the episode count at episode 25 despite this being the exact same season given a one-cour break. It's made painfully obvious when you check the episode number written right on the title card even on CR's subs.

Now in regards to this week's episode, I really enjoyed it. Polnareff's mirror trick and Jotaro's surprise child ORAORAORA were my favorite highlights. Though I do feel that the criticism this adaptation is getting for the (admittedly) awkward humor is unwarranted. After all, this plot was created over twenty years ago. If you're going to stir controversy you should have done it then.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm a manly travelin' man, blowin' through town like a tumbleweed, fightin' stands, leavin' pretty ladies and broken heart jewelry in my wake...
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After all, Alessi's greatest weakness is that he's filled with, well, great weakness! He has to use his stand's powers to fight because despite his hearty build, he's not any kind of martial artist himself. He doesn't know how to fight hand-to-hand, and Jotaro has been fighting with only two little clenched fists since he was tiny. It's a righteous smackdown that puts a nice hearty exclamation point on what had been one of the weakest battles so far. Good riddance, Alessi!

That sums up the big problem with the Alessi storyline: Alessi is the type of character that would have worked better as another inept comical villain (i.e. one who thinks he'll have an easy time defeating Team Jojo, only to get the crap beaten out of him every time as a result of him underestimating the situation) instead of trying to make him a serious threat and give him a personality of a insane killer.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Young Jojo still too much for Alessi.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Hope didn't mention the poop joke, which is so befitting considering two weeks ago Avdol was becrying that bathroom disaster is Polnareff's thing. Laughing

I also wonder if the lady keeping Polnareff's (heart-shaped) earing was some sort of cheesy metaphor for her keeping half of his heart.

Loved tiny badass Jotaro. I'm just hoping Kakyoin comes back into the fray too, he's done literally nothing since the arc began and we're running out of Egyptian gods
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Not sure I follow. Was it "gallingly sexist" because Polnareff rejected the woman ?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
The character designs don't work very well with certain emotions I noticed while watching this weeks episode. Polnareff looked really strange blushing.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
Not sure I follow. Was it "gallingly sexist" because Polnareff rejected the woman?

I'm rather confused by that line too. Perhaps because they didn't stick around to make sure she grew back into the clothes? They wondered if she was okay, meaning they didn't see her grow back to normal size. So they couldn't stuff her into her clothes again. Probably busy looking for Polnaref's show that fell off in the previous episode. Do they stand around a naked lady and tuck her into the clothes as she returns to normal size? At least this way she can assume she slipped in the bathroom and blacked out for a minute, adding to the idea everything might've been a dream. Nudity tends to be considered sexist, thought Polnareff's dong was waving in the air for the greater half of two episodes uncensored. That's totes fine.

Perhaps the idea that she became attached to a man who saved her is sexist? Because that's all it is nowadays. Sexism.

What about the fact the show depicts that foreigners(natives, in this case) are so poor their kids play Cafe with cups of mud from the previous episode? I found that, and punching children, and turning someone into a fetus to let them dry out and die, far more disturbing than the idea that in a world where everyone is physically perfect, that one has good underroos.
OtakunX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
In the playstation game there was a side story / what if story of Alessi fighting Joseph which was fantastic. He used Sets power on Joseph but Joseph being much older then he looks wasn't changed into a child but into his young self from JoJo part 2 and proceeded to destroy Alessi.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for the lady, not only did she get rejected by Pol, a crazy dude axed up her belongings and there's poop on her bathroom floor. Which reminds me, no mention of the poop? That part caught me off guard.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
He used Sets power on Joseph but Joseph being much older then he looks wasn't changed into a child but into his young self from JoJo part 2 and proceeded to destroy Alessi.

That indeed sounds awesome. I'll bet he predicted what Alessi was going to say at the moment he realized he'd been owned, too. One of my favorite fights has been Empress, just because it gave Joseph a chance to shine. One thing I'm enjoying about the show in general is that the cast doesn't need Jotaro's help to win all their battles.

Jotaro's still a bit short on personality compared to the others, but he's grown on me. He's sort of like their Big Gun. And thinking back to watching Star Blazers as a child, the Wave Motion Gun didn't need a personality to be awesome Very Happy
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
This was "Kaiji the episode", without the intelligence that Kaiji has, but with better pacing and the same level of crazy over the top entertaiment. In fact, I think this show is heavily influenced by Kaiji's anime in the way it shows the over the topness and even the manga visual sound effects, it never hit me until now.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11