• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Solicitations (Crunchyroll Solicitations: June 2022 & beyond)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
I hope Funi solicits June before the sale at RightStuf ends. I was hoping to see some of their more recent licenses announced along with some of their (so far) dvd only releases and license rescues. Guess it might be too soon =/
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
^^^
It's a Right Stuff Funi sale. If you miss the one this month wait for next month. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
^^^
It's a Right Stuff Funi sale. If you miss the one this month wait for next month. Wink

Lol, true, but the next one likely isn't until May and I always worry I'll miss out on the LE boxed version Sad
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Right Stuf has a pic up of the Darker than Black Premium Blu-ray. It looks something like this:

I don't know if its final how its going to look. I'm not sure how I feel about this look yet.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
I applaud their efforts in creativity, but c'mon, how in the hell is the average anime collector (who presumably has limited shelf space as it is) supposed to display something like that? That's gonna go right in the waterproof container in my closet which stores all my overflow. At least it'll appreciate in value rather quickly.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
@One Eye
I already have the DVD complete collection of Darker than Black. Two slim pack cases in a card board sleeve which in turn fits into the chipboard box for the second season LE. I intend to swap the existing DVDs for the Bluray disks for shelf space. The cards will go in a notebook with other show post cards and the art book with other such books. Any thing left will, as Shoma_Curse suggested, go in the bin with all the other trinkets and knickknacks from other shows "special editions" never to be seen again.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm just a little confused by the pics and what the sizing is. Everything might actually be smaller than it appears. I doubt the discs are going to fit lined up vertically in the packaging as it appears in the pic. The pics might not be to scale, which kinda bugs me and I'm not sure if there are 2 boxes or 1 box with a kinda of manila envelope look. Will the book fit into the box? Is it a box or a cardstock sleeve? Cardstock would tee me off and I would return it without opening it. I guess I'll just have to wait until Funi posts more info.

@Alan45. Yea, I have the Classics first season DVD set in with the 2nd LE BD set and also thought about switching discs. It just depends on the final product. I don't mind so much if its the size of a NISA box because I could just put it next to those on my shelf. Any bigger or wider (like a vinyl record) wont work for me. I like interesting or creative packaging in general I just hope this one isn't too big and not flimsy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@One-Eye

I intend to accept it regardless as I want the Bluray disks. The art book and post cards are "nice to have". My guess is that it will be 10 to 12 inches square. Likely with the disks mounted on a flat surface in a triangle formation. I just hope they don't do something stupid like putting the disks on the cover of the art book. I don't think you can make a chipboard box as skinny as the "envelope" appears to be.

I notice there is no indication of the previously mentioned easel, nor is any of the larger art work easel worthy. While I can see someone being proud enough to display the Cowboy Bebop set on an easel, there are not a lot of titles that would qualify. I also doubt there are many collectors with the kind of shelf space to display more than one or two vinyl record sized sets face out.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@One-Eye
I don't think you can make a chipboard box as skinny as the "envelope" appears to be.

I notice there is no indication of the previously mentioned easel, nor is any of the larger art work easel worthy.

Its hard to tell from the pic, but is the envelope supposed to be the box? It does look thicker than a normal envelope, but then again right below it appears to be another thin box like (?) item. It appears larger than the book next to it, so its probably not the outside of the book? That is if everything is to scale and they didn't paste together a bunch of pics. The NISA long boxes were fairly skinny and held both discs and books so its doable.

Yea, I didn't see any sign of an easel and that's why I thought this image on TRSI might not be a final one. Funi doesn't even have it up on its website yet. Maybe they gave up on the easel idea? I agree with what you said that there aren't many titles that would qualify. Cowboy Bebop was known for its music, so it makes a certain amount of sense that they would present it in a vinyl record packaging. If they are going to do something that goes on an easel I would hope the artwork would be really exciting and not just more recycled art from a previous Japanese DVD cover. However, as you pointed out how many easel pieces can you have on your shelves?

Well, we will just have to wait and see.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Judging from the enlarged photo on TRSI's page, I would say it looks like it's going to be standard manila/accordion envelope size - as if it's supposed to be like a confidential dossier or something along those lines. The first pic is the front of the package, the one to the right of it is the back. The pic below the first one is the cover of the artbook (as it clearly says 'artbook' in the larger photo) with the pic next to that one being the inside of the artbook. The pics on the bottom are obviously the postcards.

Either way, again: cool idea in theory, terrible idea in reality.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
The first pic is the front of the package, the one to the right of it is the back.

But the pic on the right doesn't show the flap of the envelope. So is that the actual back or is it some binder that the BDs go into which in turn goes into the envelope?

Quote:
The pic below the first one is the cover of the artbook (as it clearly says 'artbook' in the larger photo) with the pic next to that one being the inside of the artbook. The pics on the bottom are obviously the postcards.

Good catch that it says "artbook". However, its also larger than the book on the right which tells us that the pics are not all to scale.

Anyways, hope for more pics. I'm an easy mark when it comes to Limited Editions.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/03/06/hyperdimension-neptunia-cast-and-release-date/
Quote:
And now an updated release date! Hyperdimension Neptunia will be available on June 9th.* We’ve also got an extra special treat for fans–If you pre-order Hyperdimension Neptunia from the FUNimation Shop, you’ll be automatically entered to win one of two autographed Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory Limited Editions. Pre-order listings will be going up in the near future, so stay tuned for more details coming soon.

*Release dates are subject to change
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks WTK those pics help a lot!!

I didn't think they would have new pics up so soon! Especially since it doesn't come out till May. They took awhile getting the Cowboy Bebop LE pics up, so I thought they might be slow getting these up. It looks like somethings were not to scale in the previous pics that were up on TSRI. However, looks like it was a binder/folder/digi-pak thingie. I like that they have a slot to store the postcards. I'm not a fan of postcards as extras, but that little touch is nice. It looks slightly higher and wider than a DVD case, but it doesn't look as big as the old NISA boxes. It also looks like all of it will fit into the sleeve/box.

I like how its looking so far, as long as the sleeve is a solid box then I have no hesitations keeping my pre-order.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I do not think the DTB S1 set is going to fit on my shelves. Like others have suggested, I will probably store the package and booklet in my closet, and exchange the 3 BD's with the 3 DVD's in my regular edition season 2 and OVA's combo set, which came with 5 discs stored in a regular size DVD case. It would be convenient to have the 3 BD's of season 1 and the 2 BD's of season 2 and OVA's in the same box.

I really hope Funimation is reading this thread and that for future deluxe releases they stick to standard sizing. What NISA did with their latest releases and the Chuunibyou CE is a much better approach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 46