• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Valvrave the Liberator Sub.Blu-Ray [2015-03-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
That Naruto comment is something I agree with considering how upset the last chapter left various fans. I am upset on the NaruSaku shipping not happening.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

I have no problems with the narrative structure of Valvrave, (everything makes complete sense to me, but of course I'm weird) ...

Don't say you're weird because it makes sense to you. It makes sense to me, too. Honestly, the mechanics of how runes work, the mechanics of how Pino and Plue were trapped... not the point. Also there was a lot of characterization that people just ignore, especially with Saki.

Honestly, I feel about... pretty much everything people say about this series like I feel about pretty much everything people say about Code Geass.
There's such thing as body language. There's such thing as fear and uncertainty and denial. There's such thing as internal conflict. Real people have these things, and good character writing reflects that. And just because a show is campy half the time, that doesn't mean you should just ignore everything the characters do or think or feel that isn't explicitly spelled out in a monologue, and dismiss them as stupid, or evil, or whatever.
Everything Saki does makes sense if you look beyond just what's explicitly stated (e.g. her heavily implied past). Shoko is just perfect and I don't know why people have a problem with her. It's the same as spoiler[season2ep19] in Code Geass. spoiler[He lied to them, they had no evidence to support him and a lot of very well-manipulated evidence against him. They're not going to ignore that because you, the viewer, see all the hero's thoughts and know he's not a monster. And he understands that, so why can't you?]
Honestly, though, I don't think it deserves much higher than a B. Like an A-. Honestly, it does feel incomplete, because so much happened in the last episode and the ending felt so rushed. And I personally wouldn't have included the rape scene because it did just cause too much controversy (though honestly, I've heard about rape scenes in other anime that have made me think, "People freaked out over Valvrave, but not this?" But it's the same issue with Geass - once you have the camp, people won't accept non-camp. Though it is awful how things like spoiler[Aina]'s death (in epsode 7) can fit under the umbrella of camp.)
And yes, Buddy Complex was so dull. It's like the nicer the uniforms get, the worse the show gets.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pino and Pero, the spirits of Haruto and Cain's Valvraves, respectively,... somehow got caught by JIOR scientists in their disembodied forms (how, exactly, that could have happened is never explained).

This was explained in a fan pamphlet given to Japan-only viewers.
spoiler[Apparently JIOR found an abandoned spaceship containing one super-Valvrave, Pino and Prue. JIOR later decided to reverse engineer and mass-produce the Valvrave for national defense purposes, and the rest is history.]

Other extra-materials info:
1) From a novelization: spoiler[In the end, the world's political climate is still split into 3 superpowers.
- ARUS (now fiercely anti-Magius),
-Dorssia (monarchy-ruled and strongest ally of the Galactic Empire),
-3rd Galactic Empire (made of Sakimori students, Kamitsuki, peaceful minded Magius, and various alien refugees).

Magius cults lurk in society's fringes, headed by remnants of the Magius Council. They are fervently worshipped by immortality-seekers wanting to live forever themselves.]

2)From Valvrave: Undertaker LN: spoiler[2 new Sakimori characters, Jin and Nao, discover 2 Kagerous. They are remote-controlled versions of the Valvraves piloted from special cockpits within Module 77. L-elf discovers this and ropes them into the conspiracy as well.
It is revealed later the Kagerous are powered by Rune batteries made from cloned humans. The batteries are later removed; the Kagerous are converted into proper Valvraves, and Jin and Nao become new Kamitsuki pilots in the end.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to zztop for the extra details! Even though I actually liked the ending and thought it served its purpose pretty well, I still wouldn't have minded a bit more fleshing out about the setting on the side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Besides the rape scene, what made the series controversial? If we go by how the series ended, you could say a lot of series are controversial in that aspect.
Well I hated it because the writing was godawful and of course because of how the the show itself along with Cross Ange is a prime example of everything that's wrong with Sunrise these days.

Upvote for this comment because Valrave is such a colossal mess that I have bashed my head over it's convoluted story

It tries to maintain the high degree of tension but the lack of resolution ultimately makes it moot
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
What isn't resolved?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
At times I feel like I'm one of the few people that actually really liked this show. The only slight downside was that the finale felt slightly rushed to me, but I'm willing to overlook that very slight niggle. And I keep reading about the box being flimsy which is such a shame! I do look forward to owning both sets though (not long now).

And thanks for the explanation, zztop! That does explain some things rather nicely!
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
sure the story was not the best compared to other mecha series (not every mecha series have to be like eureka 7 & code geass), but its a hell of a better than the trainwreck that's G Gundam where its storyline was beyond stupid. not to mention AGE & Build Fighters.

GalicianNightmare wrote:
I dislike how Valvrave wasn't dubbed. Aniplex makes the dumbest decisions on what not to dub. KNK, this, the Gurren Lagann movies(which is especially dumb, since Gurren Lagann was a hit in the US) and even making us wait a YEAR to get Fate/Zero dubbed, when it could have been dubbed back in mid 2012. Le sigh.

welcome to the new media blasters which is what some of the dub community have given aniplex of america. hopefully we wont have to wait for a while before it gets dubbed though i wouldnt be surprised it gets the sub only treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
It's hard to put into words, but some shows just strike me as dead and uninteresting right from the start, while others give a sense of originality and intrigue. I get one feeling or the other in the first five minutes or so of the first episode, and they are almost always correct in regards to the series as a whole. Valvrave struck me as a show which had something good about it; the crazy twists, the character L-Elf (who makes James Bond look like a wimp), and all sorts of other stuff appealed to me--perhaps the way the characters in general had personality and depth to them. The final scene, where spoiler[L-Elf finally acknowledges Haruto as his friend], was surprisingly powerful.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
I dislike how Valvrave wasn't dubbed. Aniplex makes the dumbest decisions on what not to dub. KNK, this, the Gurren Lagann movies(which is especially dumb, since Gurren Lagann was a hit in the US) and even making us wait a YEAR to get Fate/Zero dubbed, when it could have been dubbed back in mid 2012. Le sigh.

Same here.

Yeah could not agree more. Despite owning and loving the awesome TV series I couldn't justify buying the Gurren Lagann movies at all, even though I wanted them, specifically due to this, since I much preferred that show in dubbed form (watching it yet again on Toonami).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:

This is similar to how Sentai releases a lot of their titles (at least, initially) subbed only.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
GalicianNightmare wrote:

This is similar to how Sentai releases a lot of their titles (at least, initially) subbed only.
Except for Diabolik Lovers and Amnesia. Apparently they're special.
WingZeroZXT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
A 'b' grade for this show is somewhat excessive especially on the storytelling front. How does a story the reviewer at one point described as sloppy Get a B. If only my school/uni teachers were EVER that generous.

For me looking back without re-watching any of it, characters died so often it no longer mattered, characters were really flat standard stereotypes and L'Elf couldn't make the show good on his own. The main problem was that the tension became the norm and when that happens its not tension anymore its just people casually dieing for irl-accurate but story-trivial reasons.

The rape scene bothered me but not as much as the fact that it had no lasting impact on anyone

The only way I could justify any of the randomly bad storytelling was the belief it was deliberately badly written to highlight that the story of the founding of the country was told from memory to a child by people who could\had potentially loose\lost their memories. If true that gets it a C- because its still annoying as hell but never more than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2