• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sega, Game Freak Send Press Postcard With March 11 Date

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jajanken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Is it an elephant game?
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Sonichu and the Magic Elephant!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, this'll be interesting. I like that Game Freak is no longer pigonholed into just making Pokémon games. I wonder if there'll be a Pulseman reference in this one.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, this'll be interesting. I like that Game Freak is no longer pigonholed into just making Pokémon games. I wonder if there'll be a Pulseman reference in this one.

Or maybe references to Drill Dozer too.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Anything to help Sega would be good right now.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
SEGA is doing fine in Japan. It's North America where it's having the most financial trouble.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
DON-bo?

"Fans mourn Sega’s exit from console video game market"

• TOKYO — Sega Sammy Holdings, the parent company that now controls one-time video gaming pioneer Sega, is looking to seriously overhaul its structure and business operations. Statements from the conglomerate have stressed that this is an ongoing process, but one of the first steps seems to be Sega ditching the console video game business to focus on what it considers the areas of biggest growth, mobile and online PC games.

It’s a bittersweet day for the Sega faithful who over the last two decades watched the company’s fortunes take a downturn along with the arcade game market. Perhaps Sega’s new focus will finally help it rebound to the heights of its glory days. For the time being, though, Internet commenters have taken to their keyboards to voice their sorrow over how much they’ll miss its wares (both hard and soft), and also to ponder the hidden nonsensicalness of its new name, Sega Games.

“The Sega of today is Sega in name only.”
    “The Sega we knew and loved is finished.”
    “I hope they can get back the confidence they had when they were making a killing in the arcades.”
    “Who says Sega is down for the count? Not me. I’m hoping for a comeback.”
    “I really want them to make their own console again.”

“I think their greatest masterpiece was ‘Fantasy Zone.’”

But one Sega loyalist didn’t have anything to say about the company’s hardware or software. Instead, he’s got a bone to pick with whoever came up with its new official name, Sega Games.

“So it’s come to this, even though it used to have totally badass name Sega Enterprises?”

We’re not sure we’d classify the word “enterprises” as badass (maybe it sounds cooler to Japanese ears when it’s pronounced as entaapuraizesu). We can agree that calling the company Sega Games is a little bit silly, though. Why? Because Sega is a compressed mashup of the words “service” and “games.” As such, the change to Sega Games essentially means the company is now “Service Games Games.”

It also makes it incredibly similar to the 2001 release Segaga, in which the player runs a hardware/software company and meets Sega characters in a game so self-referential it was like a fever-dream-powered death throe for the Dreamcast during its final year of life.

leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
Huh. So that's the first I heard about that from the Japanese side of things. Almost everything I hear about SEGA restructuring and changing focus is in regards to SEGA of America.

To my knowledge though, SEGA is still doing okay in the arcade side of things, which has always been its forte in its home country, but I guess arcades are diminishing in Japan too. Odd. SEGA also makes those Key Master and Barber Cut redemption machines, which I'm now seeing EVERYWHERE. They're even in family restaurants now!

Also, what happened to Football Manager and Total War? I thought those franchises have been selling gangbusters in Europe.
ani12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:

That's good.

And Steam has reached 125 million!
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Or maybe references to Drill Dozer too.

I actually really liked that game. I would have enjoyed a sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1