• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Dandy: Season 1 [Limited Edition] BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard that BONES was making Space Dandy I was excited. However a drawback was the fact that it was a comedy (a genre I'm not a huge fan of) and Shinichiro Watanabe (who made Cowboy Bebop which I didn't like) so it was kind of up in the air about whether I would enjoy it or not. While some episodes are better than others, the series is very well made, highly enjoyable, and just a heck of a lot of fun. So I really found myself enjoying it, and I have plans to buy it in the future. Although I prefer the second half personally, both halves are great and definitely worth checking out!
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll also tip my Boobies trucker hat to the “Marathon Viewing” feature, which is a thing of beauty...I wish that every TV series release had this feature.

Wasn't Attack on Titan the first release Funimation did that incorporated the marathon viewing? It totally worked for that series, since it was basically like a super-long movie and I got into it better that way. That said, I too hope this is becoming a trend with at least most of Funimation's releases (and preferably all Anime releases in general), since it's a convenience that saves me the hassle of reaching for the remote every 20 minutes.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Wasn't Attack on Titan the first release Funimation did that incorporated the marathon viewing?

No, I think it was first done with the orange DBZ season sets
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really get into the show until season 2, rewatching season 1 it is better than I expected. It just has some less than memorable episodes.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Here's a question. It's probably a stupid one, but is the original ending song included in this release or is it the Toonami one? I imagine the original is included, but is the Toonami one included as well?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I don´t think that Dandy was supposed to be "funny". I never even felt that i should laugh (and i never did). The show was a sly satire if you ask me. Some of the episode like when he was nearly killed by giant PLOT hit pretty hard after i sat down to think what i just watched.
The writing deserves more recognition even if the "story" was barely there. My biggest grievance/surprise is that the Watanabe episodes were somehow the weaker ones. Bonus points for the man service btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I got to see some eps on Toonami back when it started. I've seen maybe 4 eps and I really couldn't get into the series. But Mike Toole is an awesome endorsement for me, I'm considering giving it another go. But all I remember of the premiere episode was disappointment and all I remember of ep 2 was continued disappointment. I don't know which of eps 3-5 I've seen, but all those helped me do was dismiss it further, yet its only gained in popularity, so I'm not sure if I should give it another try.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The show was a sly satire if you ask me.

Eh, the only episode I'd call "satirical" is the last one (one big middle finger to the idea that anime must have a resolution).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Here's a question. It's probably a stupid one, but is the original ending song included in this release or is it the Toonami one? I imagine the original is included, but is the Toonami one included as well?

The original one is on there. I checked around on the discs, but I didn't see the Toonami one at all. I also didn't find the first opening that aired on Toonami, all of the episodes had Viva Namida opening.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I am still sticking to my assignment. The show had a NTR storyline with the female lead being a coffee machine, lesbian cat-girls BUT not of the kind anyone asked for (but the ones we need!) and the only woman who Dandy got to know biblically was a cube. The opening to that episode was very clear satire. Don´t ask me what Terror was about though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm, that calendar could've been so much more, considering there seems to be a ton of those Boobies waitresses. I guess it was stuff that was cheaply made.

Are there any differences in what's actually on the limited edition season set and the standard one? By this, I mean bonus features, because I love bonus features, and I'll always go for whatever version has the most (or most interesting) bonus features that's easily available.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Are there any differences in what's actually on the limited edition season set and the standard one? By this, I mean bonus features, because I love bonus features, and I'll always go for whatever version has the most (or most interesting) bonus features that's easily available.

As far as I know, the on-disc extras are the same. Typically the stuff that is on the disc is the same on for Funimation's LE and standard versions.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks. I'll know what to look for then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2