• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - And the Gunslinger Followed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
GSG, it's been to long..

And I still can't find Mail at my local bookstores.
I'll get to it, though. Hopefully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Superflyz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
Yep...

Volume 1 (2003)
Volume 2-3 ( 2005)
Volume 4-6 (2007)

And if this pattern continues...

Volume 7-10 (2009?)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Another drawback is the lack of fanservice-laden, raunchy humor of other similar titles (I know, I criticize other series for having too much fanservice, but I guess you don't really miss something until it's gone).

You could always check out I"s. It doesn't even pretend to have a plot.

Quote:
And that lack of risqué comedy leads to the next problem—over-reliance on dull sitcom setups like getting stuck in a broom closet.

While it's true the sub-plots ain't exceptional, they feel realistic for a teen comedy. But maybe I'm just tired of harem series w/ girls with magical powers and dating sims where guys ask girls shallow questions for half an hour. I'll give it credit for choosing not to lay that crap on thick.

As for Ultra Maniac, it got a little too moe and angsty for my tastes. Plus problems get resolved so fast, that there's no motivation to continue.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
Superflyz wrote:
Yep...

Volume 1 (2003)
Volume 2-3 ( 2005)
Volume 4-6 (2007)

And if this pattern continues...

Volume 7-10 (2009?)

Well, According to the encyclopedia:

Volume 1 (11-18-2004)
Volume 2 (3-7-2005)
Volume 3 (6-6-2005)

I thought there was a much longer wait between 1 and 2... and after checking the publishing date for volume 1, it confirms my recollection (and your date). Volume 1 was first printed in October of 2003, so someone put the wrong date in the encyclopedia.

In any case, its nice to finally have more Gunslinger Girl after a two year wait.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
Interesting to read the high praise for UltraManiac. This is one I passed on initially, mostly because the anime (a free episode of which came with an early issue of Shojo Beat) was pretty underwhelming, but this review has me interested in picking it up. Hrm....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
I am sorry if this has been asked before. But will the volumes reviewed here ever turn up in the encyclopedia pages for each manga, like DVD reviews do? Or will it ever show up on the related releases pages, like the Shelf Life reviews do?

It's just such a great resource, it's a shame that it's not archived in the encyclopedia in some form. I know there is the RTO!! archives, but that doesn't help if you are looking for a particular series. Plus if your skimming the encyclopedia, it is great to click easily on the review links on the same page to check out what a title is about, ya know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mini-Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
I'm happy I'm not the only one who liked Ultramaniac
It's so simple but delightfull to read =)
The anime is silly thought and rather dissapointing...
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anime but that was having not read any of the manga. The first few episodes of the anime follow the manga extremely close which is what intially stopped me from reading the manga. Should give it another chance I think.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I am sorry if this has been asked before. But will the volumes reviewed here ever turn up in the encyclopedia pages for each manga, like DVD reviews do? Or will it ever show up on the related releases pages, like the Shelf Life reviews do?

It's just such a great resource, it's a shame that it's not archived in the encyclopedia in some form. I know there is the RTO!! archives, but that doesn't help if you are looking for a particular series. Plus if your skimming the encyclopedia, it is great to click easily on the review links on the same page to check out what a title is about, ya know.

Agreed! A few days ago, I had to resort to Google to dig up the Shugo Chara review from RTO from a few months back. Having them linked in the encyclopedia would be awesome.
Senna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed both the Ultra Maniac manga and anime. The anime has quite a few filler episodes, but most of them are sweet and funny, and I think it has its heart in the right place. I actually preferred the anime's ending to the manga's -- I liked how Maya's (anime-only character) story was resolved. As for the manga, Wataru Yoshizumi is one of my favorite manga-ka, so of course all five volumes have a place on my shelf Very Happy
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I just bought and read the first three volumes of Gunslinger Girl this past weekend and loved it. I am glad that the series is continuing after such a long hiatus. I was always hesitant to pick it up before because of the uncertainty of it finishing (plus not being able to find it in any bookstore). But I am looking forward to purchasing and reading volume 4!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

There's been some kind of glitch in the system causing problems with reviews/news links from the Encyclopedia. Check the Bugs & Technical Forum.
Quote:
I have heard that the anime version of [Ultra Maniac] is a lame, dumbed-down effort that focuses on the fantasy elements. (A flying scooter? Transformation sequences? Blah.) But the manga gets it right: spells and charms are fun, but the real magic lies in love, friendship, and being true to yourself.
The transformation sequences are definite Magical Girl budget-saving recycled animation, but the spells and magical action didn't seem too out of line. I thought the anime pretty cute and heartwarming, and I liked some of the added characters like Maya. But after recently picking up the manga and reading through it, I'd agree that it's a worthwhile read. Lots of laughs, tears, and good shoujo-style art; I wouldn't call it moe since it isn't aimed at the male demographic that craves moe.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

There's been some kind of glitch in the system causing problems with reviews/news links from the Encyclopedia. Check the Bugs & Technical Forum.

Yeah I know about the news bug. That was caused by the change over that occured 7 months ago. And when/if that gets fixed news will auto-list itself for the relevent encyclopedia page.

Thing is, RTO was never included in this auto-listing to begin with. I am not sure if Shelf Life was part of that system or not, but it does get listed when you click on the individual release, or it used too , which will take you to the proper page. I was just hoping that since RTO is the same type of format as Shelf Life, that maybe it should get the same kind of listings. I think it would be nice once the encyclopedia gets out of such dis-repair if they would start linking it, and if they aren't too exausted to even link up the past RTOs as well.

With all the titles that RTO goes over, compared to standard reviews, it is a resource that can be easily forgotten or lost. This would be a way to keep the views written in-the-loop so to speak.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Interesting to read the high praise for UltraManiac. This is one I passed on initially, mostly because the anime (a free episode of which came with an early issue of Shojo Beat) was pretty underwhelming, but this review has me interested in picking it up. Hrm....

The anime is much more magical girly. The anime isn't bad, but its a bit harder to get into and I didn't like it as much as the manga.
apocalypticPOTATO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
i like the Stephen King reference Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2