• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shojo Beat Adds Honey So Sweet, Bloody Mary Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catandmouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...at first neither titles really appealed to me...as much as I like vampires, I'm not a huge fan of vampire romances...but checking out the description, it seems like it's not really a romance, and it might be slight skewing towards shonen-ai....so it might be interesting...

The only manga I actively buy from Shojo Beat is Natsume's Book of Friends, and previously I had only ever bought Beauty Pop, but I do hope that they might bring more, less sugary stuff some day.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Corinthian wrote:

Quote:
in what world is "Mary" a guy's name?

This is Japan we are discussing. They frequently do weird and wonderful things with the English language as well as English and other European names. They don't have the associations we do.

So American "Akira" can be a white Caucasian name! Very Happy

Ashen Phoenix wrote:

The concept of a suicidal vampire could be interesting,

Interview with the Vampire?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=interviewwiththevampire.htm

• Genre ----- Rank
    Gay / Lesbian - 2
    Horror - Period - 5
    Vampire - 8
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
I do find the continued lack of Blue Spring Ride & Yona of the Dawn disappointing. It is quite rare for shoujo manga to get anime so I'm not sure why they don't try and capitalise on the popularity of those that do. Perhaps length is the issue? Both of the 2 series they have just licenced have relatively few volumes out so far.

Just a shame there is nothing I want to buy as I'm currently only buying My Love Story!! from them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
I do find the continued lack of Blue Spring Ride & Yona of the Dawn disappointing. It is quite rare for shoujo manga to get anime so I'm not sure why they don't try and capitalise on the popularity of those that do. Perhaps length is the issue? Both of the 2 series they have just licenced have relatively few volumes out so far.

Just a shame there is nothing I want to buy as I'm currently only buying My Love Story!! from them.

I saw someone theorizing today on twitter that the reason that very popular requests such as Blue Spring Ride, Yona, and Hyrunana No Ryuessei aren't getting picked up is because there is scanlations readily available online for them, and therefore they don't believe they will sell when it's already 'illegally' available for free.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
#833552 wrote:
I saw someone theorizing today on twitter that the reason that very popular requests such as Blue Spring Ride, Yona, and Hyrunana No Ryuessei aren't getting picked up is because there is scanlations readily available online for them, and therefore they don't believe they will sell when it's already 'illegally' available for free.

It just seems strange that they are perfectly happy to pick up shounen titles with tonnes of scanlations but not shoujo titles. Kodansha USA have picked up shoujo with anime/scanlations and they seem to be doing well enough so not sure why Viz wouldn't have similar luck.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
They both sound alright, I'll definitely buy them when they're available. But the names of the characters from Bloody Maria are confusing as hell. I thought that Maria was a girl, but further research has made me realise that it's a guy.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as another who's disappointed that these announcements weren't Akatsuki no Yona or Blue Spring Ride, or even Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. Bloody Mary looks kinda fun though.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Ditto on the disappointment. I haven't seen a shoujo manga license announcement in a while that I've been eager about. The lack of Yona is particularly disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SolidAndrew34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was really hoping for Yona of the Dawn its such a great series that has many different areas of appeal. Funimation even licensed the Anime here in the U.S. so its unknown here. The best to do is to keep campaigning for Yona to Viz and the other companies. Who knows they might be trying to get Yona, but are working out the legal and contract rights. All we can do is make our voices heard, and hope for the best.
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Reading the comments about license wishes and disappointments cheered me up. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Very Happy

lys wrote:
I guess SB feels the need to stick to "safe" licenses at this point. But more and more, I find myself importing the series I want to read, and counting the ones that do get licensed as a lucky bonus.

I'm the same. I'm still importing and the habit hasn't declined. I already own all of Spell of Desire. Since there are so few M rated titles I felt like I needed to say I'm still here reading comics for women, so I'm buying in English too.

GATSU wrote:
katscradle: I keep saying they should bring over the Nana creator's older stuff, but they keep ignoring me. And if they're gonna rescue Tokyopop stuff, even in Kindle-only form, shouldn't it be Kodocha and Marmalade Boy?

Oh so much! Why more of Ai Yazawa's work is absent in English baffles me. I got the impression NANA is a big title despite the switch to an M rating and the trouble created over trademarks. People still ask about it continuing too. I bought Shojo Beat's edition even though I was already collecting it in Japanese when the license was announced.

Kodocha was a good title on the manga side and Marmalade Boy is a classic. Both are still abundant used for reasonable prices though. Of course you could say that about a lot of the VIZ Select titles. Still there are JP, editions digitally.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Corinthian wrote:

in what world is "Mary" a guy's name?

This is Japan we are discussing. They frequently do weird and wonderful things with the English language as well as English and other European names. They don't have the associations we do.

So American "Akira" can be a white Caucasian name! Very Happy

This part makes me laugh. Thanks enurtsol. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gayle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to hear all of these people wanting the same 3 titles I am.

It just baffles me why we don't have Yona, Blue Spring Ride, or Shirayuki. Marketing strategy says these would be good titles to print right now, no matter how many volumes. I feel the same that if they were shounen they would already be licensed. Confused

The only license I'm anticipating from Shojo Beat this year is Go Ikeyamada's So Cute It Hurts!! She's the only new mangaka from Shojobeat in 2015 besides the author of Bloody Mary.

I'm really sick of vampires and all of the Alice in wonderland rewrites. BL is not my thing either. Or bodice-ripping josei. Confused

I've started learning to read Japanese so that I can import titles and read it myself.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:29 am Reply with quote
I'm another who is continually baffled as to why they haven't licensed Ai Yazawa's older works. I would pick them all up in a heartbeat. This is why I hate monopolies. Viz clearly aren't interested in them, but other publishers can't have them because Shueisha won't let them. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2