• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hellfire and Ice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As well as his violent relationships with Enma and Hakutaku, in contrast with his passion for goldfish plants and love of fluffy animals is hilarious in and of itself

I disagree, but that's because I've seen the variation of "tough guy secretly likes cute things" schtick quite a bit. It's pretty common in otome game adaptations.

The show made me audibly laugh once (and I noted which time that was) in the review. On the other hand I had to turn it off and come back to it three different times because it put me to sleep. So it was great when I needed a nap.

I think the review explains well enough what audience would find the show entertaining, but I stand by that that audience is not very wide in the R1 market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
thanks jacquipuff ,
i got to looking around at another thread about collectable figures and found it at AmiAmi site ...and yes there is a collectable version (the nice one pictured ) and a cheaper knock-off
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
For those tired of seeing Nobunaga transformed into an ever more absurd array of characters, I suggest Hyouge Mono as a useful antidote. The Nobunaga in that show sports his Portuguese finery, has designs on China, and has no qualms about killing doubters on the spot.

By the way, I'm guessing the "Monkey" character is based on Toyotomi Hideyoshi? He was nicknamed that by Nobunaga because of his supposedly simian facial features. It's mentioned often in Hyouge Mono.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Hah. It's by no means the first time this has happened. Somehow I attract weirdos.

When someone who has an avatar of a character from a show whose official synopsis is ""Cute girls doing cute things in cute ways" calls me a weird, I take that as a compliment.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
When someone who has an avatar of a character from a show whose official synopsis is ""Cute girls doing cute things in cute ways" calls me a weird, I take that as a compliment.

Actually, because the girls don't even do anything of any note, a more accurate description of Strawberry Marshmallow is simply "Cute Girls Being Cute". And I'm okay with that.

Anyway, I don't know what you have against the show, nor do I understand how my liking it is supposedly a bad thing. But if me calling you a weirdo makes you happy then more power to you. In fact, for just $4.99 a minute I can call you all kinds of derogatory things . . . . . .
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
A little confused by some of the comments here on Hozuki's Coolheadedness. I found it to be a delightfully dry character-based comedy.

Though the structure of relationships is different, it reminded me of Graham Linehan's classic sitcoms (Father Ted, Black Books, IT Crowd) in the way it created odd characters then set them to interact with each other in hilarious ways.

I think a lot of the complaints about the perceived necessary foreknowledge of Japanese folklore could've been mitigated had the OP been subtitled in its initial run; I've since seen the lyrics and they really lay everything out for the viewer.

(Also, how did they not call it Cool Headed Hozuki? Easier to say, and there's a titular similarity with the classic movie Cool Hand Luke)
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Awesome collection, figures are posed nicely too (mine are just straight ahead like yearbook photos). Are those Australian releases? Sadly the pictures are kinda blurry.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
That Hoozuki no Reitetsu set doesn't come bundled with the OAD releases , or does it?
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
Hozuki no Reitetsu. It is like Seinfeld. In Beetlejuice's purgatory. In Japanese. What is not to like? This is what happens after Hikaru no Go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3