• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Girls Bravo, Ratman Manga Digitally

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
That's great that they got Ratman and Calling You, both look pretty interesting. Kinda sucks they're digital, though. Confused
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
If you want the books in print, you can probably still find the copies that Tokyopop published. These are just digital rereleases of the same content.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I miss Ratman....
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Need an anime of Ratman...like Murder Princess...with Back-On doing the opening song.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
If you want the books in print, you can probably still find the copies that Tokyopop published. These are just digital rereleases of the same content.

The thing is...Ratman manga was never finished under Tokyopop.

Still sucks that they're digitally since I want Someday's Dreamers (and its spin-off) and Ratman physically.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I know that: the digital release isn't going to finish the series either. It's just a rerelease of what Tokyopop previously released.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Viz for rescuing Girls Bravo.[/list]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Congrats to Viz for rescuing Girls Bravo.[/list]

same here since its slightly better than the anime version and it have a more suitable ending for a harem series since the anime version is very short.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
I know that: the digital release isn't going to finish the series either. It's just a rerelease of what Tokyopop previously released.

Where's this information coming from? Viz only licensed the amount of volumes TokyoPop originally released? Sounds strange to me.

Never heard of Calling you. Since it is just one volume, may just buy a copy of the physical release. Surely, there is one floating somewhere.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Ali07, all of the "Viz Select" digital releases are simply reissues of the content previously done by other publishers (mainly Tokyopop but there might've been an ADV Manga title in there at some point??). When they first started doing this, the editors stated there were no plans to continue the series beyond what was originally published in English, and as far as I know that hasn't changed.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
If that's true, then that's really stupid. :/ Viz shouldn't even bother rescuing these series if they aren't going to try and finish them. To me, that seems like a smack in the face to fans of the series that want a complete English-language version, then they get screwed twice trying to get it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I love the fact that the dubbed Yukinari is voiced by the voice of Sasuke Uchiha and that Kirie voiced by the dubbed Hinata. I can imagine Hinata beating up Sasuke.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I love the fact that the dubbed Yukinari is voiced by the voice of Sasuke Uchiha and that Kirie voiced by the dubbed Hinata. I can imagine Hinata beating up Sasuke.

which was definitely a head scratcher when geneon revealed the cast.

i kinda expected yuri would be casted as yukinari since he's the few male VA that can do young boys well enough. However seph voicing that hot head kirie who have a tendency of being a virtual cat nip for men hating lesbians is highly unlikely. miharu or koyomi (the girl who is scared of guys aka the opposite of yukinari),yes but not kirie. also its lulu chiang , not seph that voiced kirie according to the Girls Bravo info here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EternalAbyss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Its been a long time since I read me some Ratman. I can't wait to read it again.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Ali07, all of the "Viz Select" digital releases are simply reissues of the content previously done by other publishers (mainly Tokyopop but there might've been an ADV Manga title in there at some point??). When they first started doing this, the editors stated there were no plans to continue the series beyond what was originally published in English, and as far as I know that hasn't changed.

Really? Interesting. Would have to say, I can't see the point in it. Of course, that would only apply to stuff the TokyoPop didn't finish publishing.

I mean, sure, there are some fans that may go back and read what was previously released of a new series. But, attracting the same fans as a title from a publisher that bombed seems strange to me.

Of course, they could still attract some new readers who don't know about incomplete series remaining that way in a digital form.

I don't read manga/comics digitally, so that'd be why I had no idea what this Viz line is like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2