• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glad to see this forum opened

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Will the Encyclopedia contain this new category as well?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Yes and no. It's up to Dan to elaborate, but novels will only be allowed into the encyc if they are related to an anime or manga.

The rules here are a bit less restrictive. For now I'm opening this forum to any Japanese novels.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Yes and no. It's up to Dan to elaborate, but novels will only be allowed into the encyc if they are related to an anime or manga.

Certainly. Otherwise the site will be overwhelmed and lose its focus.

tempest wrote:
For now I'm opening this forum to any Japanese novels.

ANY Japanese novel? I can't say that I'm not surprised to hear that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean if Dan says yes, that we'll get to see novel ratings too? I'm curious to see just how many people have actually read and rated Vampire Hunter D, the Boogiepop novels, etc.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Now when you say Japanese novels is this supposed to mean the light novels at stores such as Border's and Barnes and Noble? I assume it's for any anime related novels as well regardless of language?

edit-- Wouldn't this really be a sub-genre so to speak of the Manga section?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Wouldn't this really be a sub-genre so to speak of the Manga section?

That's what I was thinking. But at least I'll be able to rate some of the novels I've read.

P.S. Whatever happened to the anime-related video game forum idea? (I'm not complaining or anything, I just happen to remember some discussion on the subject.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned before the idea of some place, any place, to discuss anime related art and cosplaying. These are big parts of the anime fandom, and in particular the convention fandom. The novels could at least be discussed in the manga section but there's no where to call home for anything art related. I'm not saying make a place to post tons of fanart but at least something where people can discusss the topic and get tips and help with cosplay ideas. Just a thought.

I don't even know of that many anime light novels anyway. BoogiePop, Blood, Vampire Hunter D, and the one Love Hina novels are the only ones I know about.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

That's what I was thinking.

Novels are not manga and neither vice versa. Remember the old days when mainstream media called manga "anime on paper?"

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Whatever happened to the anime-related video game forum idea?

Methinks novels are much more related to anime than most video games (except bishoujo games). Kenji Miyazawa, Yukio Mishima, Yoshiki Tanaka, etc., they all had great novels adapted into anime way before video / computer games became one of family's necessities.

psycho 101 wrote:
I don't even know of that many anime light novels anyway.

Check out Aromatic Grass' avatar.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
Don't forget the Crest of the Stars novels and the Twelve Kingdoms novel that recently came out in English. Not to mention many others that I'm sure I don't know about yet. Plus, if it's open to any Japanese novel then the possibilities grow quite a bit. I know several people on the forums have read Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which clearly influenced ABe's design of the Haibane Renmei world.

In fact, I'd start a topic about that novel myself but I'm leaving town tomorrow for several days and won't have internet access. But my point is that I don't think there will really be a shortage of material to discuss here.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Novels are not manga and neither vice versa. Remember the old days when mainstream media called manga "anime on paper?"

Makes sense to me.

dormcat wrote:
Methinks novels are much more related to anime than most video games (except bishoujo games).

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of visual novels, like AIR. There have just been so many requests for an anime-related video game forum.

dormcat wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

And there's the newly-released Shakugan no Shana light novel. More are coming out just recently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

That's what I was thinking.

psycho 101 wrote:

Point taken.

What about her avatar? I'm assuming it is a light novel of some sort but I have no idea what. Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
What about her avatar? I'm assuming it is a light novel of some sort but I have no idea what. Embarassed

The avatar is from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is based off a series of novels starring Haruhi and friends.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

The avatar is from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is based off a series of novels starring Haruhi and friends.

Unfortunately, they haven't been translated yet...to my knowledge.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
I guess my Borders just sucks then. I haven't heard of or seen many of the novels listed, such as Crest of the stars for example. I guess I need to ask them to carry more. I there like a release list somewhere? I tried clicking power search in the encyclopedia but I only saw a selection for manga and not novel.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I there like a release list somewhere? I tried clicking power search in the encyclopedia but I only saw a selection for manga and not novel.

As stated in the first two posts of this thread: novels are not yet included in the Encyclopedia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3