• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vita Signs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
The Vita sits in an interesting place for me. On the one hand, the limited attention it seems to get from devs means I'm not getting that many games for it. ON the other hand, Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game ever, so I have actually gotten tons of use out of the system overall.
MeisterYM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Date A Live for the Vita is also coming this summer. The only reason I bought one.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
The Vita has put together a pretty reasonable library for specific types of people, but it's also great just as a portable PS1. There's a lot of back library titles (and occasionally current titles, hi Resogun!) from various PS hardware available.

I think I'm sitting at 7 actual Vita titles (ie, not PS1 RPGs) in my library and I usually get around 10 games over the lifespan of a device, so it's doing fine in my books.

I would also add the excellent Muramasa Rebirth to the list of must-have Vita games.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been having a lot of fun with my Vita. P4Golden, Tales of Hearts R, and the Danganronpa games are the only exclusives I have for it so far, but since I skipped the PSP it's a great place to catch up on ones I missed out on, like Sweet Fuse, Riviera, and especially Trails in the Sky.
Its PSOne classics are also pretty nice, since I'd rather play games with random encounters on a handheld system.
I do wish it got more RPGs and games that weren't so obviously aimed at male fanservice, er, fans (Neptunia, Monster Monpiece, Criminal Girls, Senran Kagura, etc.). I'm sure I could have fun with them, but I'd rather have some that have little fanservice, or both male and female fanservice. Or hey, female-targeted fanservice. I've seen very few of those.
Also, where are those Star Ocean 1 & 2 PSN store options? I would throw more than a fair amount of money at you to play Star Ocean 2, Sony.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's the best Vita game? I'll say it's Gravity Rush, and then I'll refuse to admit that my choice is entirely personal. Gravity Rush remains one of the few well-budgeted Vita exclusives that introduces a novel play mechanic and does it justice.

Can't say I hate the game, but apart from art direction and character design it was pretty average on almost every level. Yes, gameplay was pretty innovative and fun for the first few hours, however controls were downright terrible and gradually sucked all enjoyment out of it.

P4G, U:GA, KZ:M and last year Freedom Wars are the games that justified the purchase of Vita for me. It's a shame Sony almost completely abandoned it. There's nothing that stops them to make portable versions of Infamous or GoW except Vita's userbase and low userbase is their own fault.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited about Bloodborne, being a fan of Dark Souls, but at the same time, I don't own a PS4 and the chances of me buying one soon are pretty slim, so it's frustrating to thin that I won't be able to enjoy it in a long time...
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Vita and PSP. To me it seems like they don't much support from American game companies and because of that the console isn't as main stream in America. Not that Japanese games can't be main stream in America but usually it's a system people buy for their Call of Duties and Halos and if it happens to have a cool Japanese game on it too they'll try it out. In this case you have to really like Japanese games to get the Vita. And if you really like Japanese games then you get frustrated with all the games that don't make it to America. (Which is because the system isn't mainstream here) It's a vicious cycle.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Child of Light came out on Vita last July. It's only the physical version that comes out next week.

Also, while Square Enix's Vita support has been poor, they are developing an exclusive SaGa game for it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I need to get a Vita for Tales of Hearts R and Ys IV.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The Vita is a good system but I reccommend importing some games to expand your library or you'll be bored quickly. Speaking of imports, it's very slow right now with only 3 games on my list to buy for the next 4-6 months, it'll pick back up though with games such as Tokyo Xanadu, Luminous Arc Infinity, SaGa 2015 and Ray Gigant.

Also here's another game I'm interested in

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/project-diva-like-miracle-girls-festival-announced-for-ps-vita

Day 1 if they add Gochiusa to the mix.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much agree on everything said about the Vita it's not doing as well as the 3DS (it was never going to). But compared to handhelds that came and crashed before it (Game Gear, Nomad, N-Gage etc) It's a scrappy system that's hanging tough.

Quote:
Some games are off the table, though. Robocop, Captain America and the Avengers

Quote:
He can drive tanks and rocket launchers

Confused
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the N-Gage had no games and the Neo Geo Pocket had no games in the states and wasn't worth importing for the Japan only ware, even the Wonderswan had more notable games than those two.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Quote:
He can drive tanks and rocket launchers

Confused

Fine, fine. Rocket launcher platforms/vehicles. Whatever you call 'em.
Nerroth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The PS Vita is easily my favourite gaming platform, and one I consider to be a worthy successor to the PSP (which used to be top of my personal list prior to my Vita's arrival).

With a steady stream of Japanese titles being announced, my main hope is that the relative success of Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment in the West (over 70,000 PSN downloads in North America out of a global total of around 450,000 - making SAO:HF the top-selling PSN Vita download across the US and Canada in 2014) and the assertiveness with which niche publishers like Idea Factory International have shown when bringing their own stable of Japanese Vita titles over might help see more of these games being brought over to the West - not least the likes of Sword Art Online: Lost Song, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, and Nihon Falcom's upcoming Tokyo Xanadu.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I remember this interview a while back with a Nintendo producer who was talking about a conversation he had with a Bandai Namco big shot who was there while working on the latest Smash Bros game where the Bandai guy was apparently stunned that Nintendo didn't have a mobile games division office. He apparently said something like with their IPs they could be making so much more money a day that it was such a waste. I wonder if this had any influence on the decision to take the plunge. Games like Cinderella Girls, Puzzles and Dragons and School Idol Project to name a few apparently pull in billions of yen on a monthly basis with almost no need for the creators to do much besides add new costumes and tie ins every couple of weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4