• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Anime Expo Location vs Weekend

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Dont care if it's on any weekend of july, just change the location first!!
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I'm totally fine with the LACC. I'd prefer them to keep to dates so that it doesn't potentially conflict with my vacaton (always in early-June)/Otakon plans.
pandax06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
I think it'd be more ideal for them to choose a venue that is better and have to settle for a weekend not on the independence day weekend rather than go to a venue that's availible. Anahiem would be an ideal place because every event is held at the Anahiem Convention center. Unlike Long Beach where the concerts were way across the plaza and registration was far from the convention center. It sucks not being able to hold it on a vacation weekend, but that's the sacrifice that AX will have to make a better convention. I'm not really looking forward for Los Angeles Convention Center because traffic there will be ridiculous from all directions and not to mention Los Angeles isn't necessarily the safest city in America. AX should definately move to a venue that is more fan favored because the way I see it, a bad convention leaves many attendees question whether or not they want to go to the next year's convention.

AX this year was horrible because of the venue. After the troubles of having to commute in immense traffic and traveling through what was literally stop/go traffic of Long Beach, I'm seriously contemplating whether or not I want to go to AX in Los Angeles next year.
Sticks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Trying to adjust the event closer or on the 4th of July on a Wednesday is always difficult cause of the chance people can't extend their vacations or weekends, especially if fans live locally (So, Calif). Most of us can't take the weekdays off anyway. To adjust the event closer to the weekend around the 4th is not a bad idea, that way we can at least be there more then 1 day.

But I'm not sure if i would want to go to the LACC next year. During the day it's fine, I've been there for the Star Wars convention and had a great time, but after dark, the area around the CC and the surrounding hotels can be uncomfortable if not dangerous. And most hotels out there may not let people stay indoors in the evening unless your reserving a room. And you can forget going outside, where you have anywhere from local punks, gangs or homeless always asking for trouble or trying to steal or harrassing out-of towners. I live in the Orange County area and even I know not to go near there at night. Maybe AROUND the CC is alright, but go to far and your asking for trouble. I won't take my 11 year old daughter out there unless I was passing by real quick. And it's not even the area, it's trying to GET to the area that's the problem if your not familier with the streets. Crying or Very sad

Yea, Anaheim is a better place to have it, and it's too bad that we couldn't have it back there, but if their serious about having it in LA next year, they'll have to convince me, if not ALL of us, that they'll look after our best interest. Anaheim had the Disney Resort feel to it and you can go anywhere out there. Long Beach may have been lousy, but it was nice in the evening and plenty of shops and nice resturants and places of interest. But you can't go anywhere outside of the LACC except the hotels. Universal Citywalk is too far away to commute, Disneyland is farther away, Where is there to go, and for how long??? Evil or Very Mad

Personally I would rather have it back in Anaheim then LA, hell I would even take Long Beach again then go to LA.

We'll see.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
The venue is way more important to me.

I have 20 days of vaction per year so when doesn't really matter. I can take vaction at almost any time.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
I attended every Anime Expo from the first in 1992 through 2003, and I'm pretty sure that once in that span there was a convention that wasn't on the July 4th weekend. The world didn't end.

------RM
luuumchan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
There's nowhere good to park during a con at LACC. The surrounding streets are scary and it's easy to get lost. I had to park on a street with homeless people -- right next to the convention center. The place is large, but really spread out, so it's a bit of walking from a dealer's room to a meeting room. The surroundings might be dangerous for teens and college kids walking to hotels at night. And again, there's no parking! No good places to eat right at hand (I had to get in a car and drive to find food). Are there any *affordable* hotels adjacent to the con or will people be forced to walk through bad neighborhoods to stay at an affordable hotel?

The 4th of July weekend isn't worth bad parking and a mugging. Crying or Very sad

And can you imagine the kind of nightmare traffic is going to be in L.A. on the 4th of July, when people drive to big stadiums and parks to see fireworks around L.A.?
luuumchan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
However, there is one BIG plus to LACC. It's close enough to Little Tokyo to hop a bus.
crazyanimejunkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
I'm more than a little wary about driving all the way to LA for next year's AX, having driven that way a few times...the area around the CC is extremely questionable at best, not to mention the freeways suck and a lot of LA drivers are rude (to put it kindly)...the only way I'd go is if I had a hotel to stay at and not have to worry about going back and forth, but then, most hotels (at least the decent, safer ones) aren't as close by as in Anaheim or Long Beach and may require walking (which is dicey at night, even if you're in a group).

I do agree that the LBCC was a bit too spread out and required a lot of walking to get from point A to point B...however, most of the hotels were fairly close together and the areas around the venue weren't too bad (still not the safest, but better than LA), and there is also PLENTY of restaurants, bars, etc.....did I mention the ocean as well?

I'd much rather AX went back to Anaheim, hell I'd rather go back to LB before I go to LA... Anime smile + sweatdrop
Sticks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
crazyanimejunkie wrote:
I'd much rather AX went back to Anaheim, hell I'd rather go back to LB before I go to LA... Anime smile + sweatdrop

That sounds kinda familier... hehe. A person after my own heart.

It's too soon to tell what I might do before then, but I have a feeling I might not go, or if I do, I plan to spent a few extra bucks for parking or plan on leaving early. I don't want to be around at night, but since I have a good time at AX, ...... well, who knows. Confused
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
The venue is way more important to me.

I have 20 days of vaction per year so when doesn't really matter. I can take vaction at almost any time.

I'm in the same situation as you I get x amount of days off and I'd rather spent my vacation right next to Disneyland then in LA.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote
I'm personally fine with any time during the midsummer (for the time being), but I can certainly see why it makes sense to have it around July 4th.

So I'll have to go with Weekend. LACC will definitely be better anyway... as long as you don't wander around too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
luuumchan wrote:
However, there is one BIG plus to LACC. It's close enough to Little Tokyo to hop a bus.

Yeah, I kinda am looking forward to having Little Tokyo that close. There's a few restaurants there (Though, I've never eaten in any of them o_o...), and there's some amazing stores (Like Kinokuniya, which will inevitably take my life savings again next year)
(Trying to find good things about LACC to get hyped for next year, after this year's... experience...Anime hyper)

Overall location matters a lot more to me though.
If I'm going to AX, I don't want to worry about getting mugged/other things, and I'd rather skip a few days than be completely uncomfortable venturing outside my hotel... Though I whined about the LBCC as well, I'm pretty sure I'll take that (Or Anaheim *hint hint*) over LACC.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Vacation is not a problem for me, but seeing how things went at LB, I'd rather it have been in a different location. Especially considering what we can expect for LA, I don't know why AX has to be so stubborn about it being on the 4th of July. If somebody else has the Anaheim Convention Center for Independence Day, just back off a bit and either schedule a little before or a little after. Anaheim is a more convenient location I think for a lot of people. I also wouldn't have minded had it been moved to San Diego.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Vacation is not a problem for me, but seeing how things went at LB, I'd rather it have been in a different location. Especially considering what we can expect for LA, I don't know why AX has to be so stubborn about it being on the 4th of July.

But beside the personnel issues Long Beach is still probably better then LA don't you think? Hell I wouldn't mind having AX at LBC on the fourth of July weekend, although I would like it to be Anaheim more then anything. I actually perfer if AX wasn't during the fourth of July, I've got friends and family that I rather hang out with. It be nice if the convention was before/after the holiday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3