• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Staff / Voice Actor Recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
*points to icon* Kamiya Hiroshi.

This man is just so talented. His voice can go from soothing and calming Natsume (Natsume Yuujinchou) and Takemoto (Honey and Clover), to manipulative Izaya (Durarara!!), to off-the-wall Itoshiki Sensei (Zetsubou Sensei) and Recruit (Arakawa Under the Bridge), to cold Tieria (Gundam 00), to wacky Penguin (Shirokuma Cafe) and Beezlebub (Azazel san). He has so much range and is great at what he does. Not to sound like a pervert or anything, but his work in BL is really good too. I can't help but respect his acting skills. There's a reason why he's won 4 Seiyuu Awards.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
person#1097

Could anyone recommend me any series with Hiro Yuuki in them? I love that guy's voice. Thanks.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Could anyone recommend me any series with Hiro Yuuki in them? I love that guy's voice. Thanks.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in years. He's not in much, if anything, nowadays... Probably his peak was when he was Omi in Weiss kreuz.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Graceful Nanami wrote:

Now that's a name I haven't heard in years. He's not in much, if anything, nowadays... Probably his peak was when he was Omi in Weiss kreuz.

Yeah, I know he's not in too terribly much nowadays. I think th emost recent thing I've known him to be in was the game Tales of Graces F in 2009. He must have done something else besides that more recently, though. Hahaha.

Yep. Omi was his first role I heard way back in 1997. Good old fansub days. I just recently watched Speed Grapher and it rebooted my love for his voice. He's such a unique talent, in my opinion. Thanks, though. Smile
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
{I have moved this posting to this thread because I believe that that it is more appropriate in this thread than that as a stand-alone thread. --nbahn}

There are a lot of Japanese actors and actresses whose voices are to be admired, but couple of them is amazed every time you listen to -- because they are so profoundly different than what you mostly hear in media (or the more so in your real life):

(not in order of preference, you just have to start with someone)

Sho Hayami:
Usual talking voice: http://youtu.be/QYkNAyoFzRk?t=43s -- sound pretty normal
Example of work: http://youtu.be/WCgMdbRL9TE?t=1m3s -- strike!

Jouji Nakata:
Usual talking voice: http://youtu.be/L-_SrwZYW5E?t=3m1s -- it is deep, but also usual
Example of work: http://youtu.be/1b2-7HwWB4U -- strike!

Not only those voices of those two famous anime actors sound with dignity (it is Japanese speciality due to culture), even ascribed to villain characters, but they also have unique, outstanding depth and richness of timbre.

While those two actors partly share same niche, Jouji Nakata has even lower voice and usually has more overtly sinister undertones to it, so he almost always plays bad guys. Sho Hayami has better balance in this regard (and I recently learn that he also sings).

As I mentioned, there are many voices to admire. Do you have your favourites? If so, please add it here with links to examples of usual talking voice and performances.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
This thread has already mentioned Hikaru Midorikawa, including his role in Lost Universe.

In this very same anime main protagonist is played by another great voice actor -- Souichiro Hoshi.

While Midorikawa's trade mark is sweet and slightly snuffling sound, for Hoshi's it is his pronounced breathing, besides cute slightly husky, when strained, timbre.

In one of his latest roles, Hoshi voices basketball player Yukio Kasamatsu in Kuroko's Basketball. Interesting thing is that this voice actor has to be brash and harsh for this role, but still manages to sound cute/likeable:

In the past, his biggest roles, among many others, included Son Goku in Saiyuki (Crunchyroll profile picture):

and Kira Yamato in Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/Destiny (Crunchyroll profile picture):

Lets say few things about acting range: I am not sure that Hoshi ever played really believable villain. Evil characters do not have such cute voices. So the flip side is that overtly kind voices limit the range of roles that actors might want to play, unlike voices that can sound both innocent and sinister, like Jun Fukuyama.
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Recently I've been paying much more attention to the staff behind my favorite series and films and I have noticed that most of them share the same few directors. This thread is for discussing which anime directors we like best.

My favorite anime director is Hideaki Anno, the director of: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gunbuster, Nadia, Kare Kano, and numerous other works. Besides directing he is an incredibly talented animator in his own right. Recently he has created several live-action films of a good quality and is currently in charge of Toho's new Godzilla film. All this and he's also personal friends with Hayao Miyazaki and Kunihiko Ikuhara.

I'm definitely looking forward to whatever else he makes.
budou14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Shinichirō Watanabe, hands down. Can't argue with Space Dandy and Cowboy Bebop.
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
budou14 wrote:
Shinichirō Watanabe, hands down. Can't argue with Space Dandy and Cowboy Bebop.

Yeah, he's cool. Just started watching samurai champloo on netflix.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I do not really have a favorite director, that I know of.
I do not pay much attention to the staff, other than the original creators, and I do not have a clear idea of what the director does.

With live-action the director, I think, directs the actors. He tells them where and how to move, what to say and how to say it. At least that is my impression.
But that does not seem to apply to anime.

With anime we do not see the actors and there is an animation director for the characters' movement.
There is a dubbing director to tell the actors what to say and how to say it.
What does the director do?

I am not trying to be funny here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime racket

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It is my belief that the director of an anime work does the storyboarding and has final say on whether or not to approve the work submitted by the other sub-directors. He or she also instructs everyone in what the work is about and it's intended affect.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
It is my belief that the director of an anime work does the storyboarding and has final say on whether or not to approve the work submitted by the other sub-directors. He or she also instructs everyone in what the work is about and it's intended affect.

The director doesn't always do the storyboarding. Usually they'll only do maybe the first or two episodes and the last episode. but there are actual staff positions for storyboarding.
Set1229

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking to find some shows Marina Inoue has been.

I have all episodes of the below two.

Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
tactics

Hoping to find discs of Ginban Kaleidoscope, eventually and found her amusing in the bits of Dog & Scissors I did see.

Bonus points if her incredible singing is involved!

*insert Armstrong manly hug here*

Please don't suggest AoT, I tried it and the style of story wasn't my cup of soda.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Did you look her up in the Encyclopedia here?

person#20999
Set1229

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Did you look her up in the Encyclopedia here?

person#20999

I have, but I need to know how extreme Kampher and Monogatari among others are in the sexy department are. I never quite understood what makes ecchi so appealing. I don't mind spoilers, to know what might not work for me. Pardon the late reply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3