• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Just picked up Disgaea 4. I will probably be playing it for a while. I get addicted to those sorts of games.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Waiting for my copy of FF Type-0 to arrive...mail service is shit as usual
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Bloodborne. But 6 hours into it and I'm starting to have a horrible feeling I don't like it much.

Dark Souls would be in my top-3 games of the last console generation. Demon's and Dark 2 would both make the top 20. If I really don't like Bloodborne, it will make me very sad indeed.

Will stick with it and hope the mechanics start to "click" with me.
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Rip, a game co-developed by one of the artists I follow on deviantArt. Pretty cool, love the music.

http://www.axebunny.com/
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Currently playing Tales of Zestiria and Amnesia Later because I love both series. >.<
jdotaku

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Getting ready to play Dead or alive last round but apparently to get it working I have to download a bunch of stuff off live (costumes and stuff?) hoping it works I love the DOA series
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying a web-based game that's not an MMO but is suprisingly enjoyable and challenging. It's called Millennium War Aigis. It has the appearance of an anime-styled RPG with pretty girls and it pretty much is, but the gameplay is actually a tower defense style strategy game.

One small thing I need to mention is that this is an adult game that will show you graphic sexual images of the characters every so often. If that doesn't bother you, or is all the more reason to play for you then I highly recommend this.

The game is free of course, but gives you the option of paying in order to help advance you in the game a little faster. I've not spent any money but I like how buying gold will allow you to exchange it for something useful rather than useless costumes.

One big tip that will help any new players is using your "spirits" wisely. There are different spirit types that help you level up your characters. If you use the spirit type that matches the character type you are leveling up, it gives you a bonus to XP gain.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS). On a whole, a solid (good, but nothing really special or remarkable) JRPG, just like the previous parts, but I also have a few complaints:

1). Points of no return and permanently lost stuff. Yeah, thanks a lot for that Camelot. I missed two Djinni and there's no way of getting them anymore outside of starting a new game. I HATE it when devs (Tales-series being a particularly notorious offender) do this, since my preferred method of playing games is to not use any guides until I reach the end and then go for the stuff I might have missed. Permanently missable stuff can be tolerable if the game has New Game+ and/or is good enough to play again (examples: Dark Shouls, Shin Megami Tensei), but Dark Dawn isn't. Not that missing stuff really mattered though, because...

2). I never got single Game Over anyway. Seriously, not even at the final boss and I never did any grinding or anything. I rarely complain about the difficulty (easy or hard) if the gameplay is good and fun enough, but this was too much. Hopefully the post-game dungeons will and bosses will provide some challenge.

3). Like the first game in the series Dark Dawn was obviously set up to have a sequel. There's just waaay too many plot threads left dangling, more than half the world still left explored and we never even got meet most of the old cast. Too bad a sequel is pretty unlikely to happen at this point.

Still, it kept me entertained for 30+ hours and I'm going to do the post-game content too, so I guess I liked it. 3/5

Also finished Bangai-O Spirits (DS,5/5) and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS, 5/5) a while ago, but other than saying they were both really GRRRRRRREAT I'm not going to bother writing about them.
outsourcingbpo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Fifa 2015 Wink
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Steins;Gate (PS3), Splatoon (Wii U), Elder Scrolls Online (PS4)... A few others too. I rarely play only one game at a time
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Beat the first InFamous[/i], clearly way behind on that one. Even though I've only had a PS3 for about a year and a half now, you'd think being Sucker Punch would entice me more. It was decent, pretty good, but a bit too repetitive.

So I started [b]InFamous 2
, which I already like more. Good gameplay tweaks, a more colorful environment (the first game was just all grey and gray). Strange that they changed the main VA, though the first guy sounded too gruff anyway. But I am having more fun with it and there seems to be more variety so I'm already enjoying it more. Reminds me more of Sly Cooper than the first one, which reminded me in bursts here and there. I also like doing challenges to unlock more abilities (like 10 head shots or 5 enviro-kills).

Also started playing Steins;Gate (PS3). Though it starts pretty much exactly like the anime, so it's starting a bit slow, need it to pick up. Not sure how the "gameplay" aspect works, do I just respond to texts every so often? But it's hardly the first VN I've played, I mean, in 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, you basically only chose either which door to go through or whom to ally or betray. Then you do some puzzle solving when you get to the actual room, but in between all that, it's just reading.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
I've been playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that I bought about a week ago. I didn't buy it at release because it's an open world RPG and those tend to be riddled with bugs and glitches at launch. It's a great game just like Witcher 2 and runs surprisingly well on my PC. However I have this weird problem with it, the same problem I had with 2. Looking at this game objectively I understand all the praise it gets. Great story, great characters etc. I should be all over this game, loosing track of time, playing hours upon end, but I'm not for some reason. I'm not sure what the reason is exactly, but there are small problems with the game that might be part of the reason.

First of all the combat is mostly great, but the hit detection seems off at times particularly when fighting large enemies. Sometimes I'm out of the enemy's reach but get hit anyway and other times the enemy will sweep through me but I won't get hit. Fighting against large number of enemies is a bit of a pain. It's just dancing around trying to avoid attacks while trying to score a hit here and there. I'm playing on the highest difficulty so that might be part of the reason. There is no sense of exploration since everything is marked on your map as question marks. The leveling system is, in my opinion, a step back from the previous game. It limits you to certain amount of abilities which kind of diminishes the reward for leveling up. Also some quests seem to unreasonably high level for no apparent reason. Gwent is really fun though.

All in all it's a great game. I have 48 hours clocked in right now and I'm probably only about half way through the game. I haven't spent much time with Yennefer, but I'm still fairly certain I'm going to "romance" Triss. I had some.. fun times with another sorceress, but it didn't end well.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
With Tales of... Lysteria? Whatever coming out in October, I thought I should clear my Tales backlog with Tales of Xillia 2, which I got for Xmas and promptly didn't play for whatever reason. It's quite addicting, really, just like the first game. Though there are some things I'm not enjoying as much, I could've sworn in the last game, when I was linked and hit things, both TPs would go up? Also not entirely thrilled with Ludger being mostly silent, I mean, why can't he speak the dialogue I chose exactly? Maybe it's more common of American games to have them do that. Also, if I looked at New Game + options correctly, doesn't his voice actually exist? Why lock it off? Sure, it made sense from a story perspective in Virtue's Last Reward (I'll say no more on that), but rarely does it seem to.

But omg, you get to find kitties, yay! I will find them all, dammit! I must! Kittehssss! My cat supports me in this endeavor.

Oh and speaking of dialogue trees, I also played The Wolf Among Us, more of a visual novel with quick time event scenes because duh, it's an American game, they all seem to require them these days. But yeah, I'd read maybe 4 vols of Fables before starting it, so I think the background did help me enjoy the game (I've since read up to v20, no spoilers!) but it's gripping and entertaining as hell and I hope they make more.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Finished up Persona 3 FES: The Answer a few days ago. Enjoyed how Answer was a lot tougher than the main game, winning required actual strategy in many of the battles instead of simply discovering a monster’s weakness and exploiting it. Story was pretty good too, nice conclusion that brought everything together. Definitely recommended for those who haven’t played it yet.
Mimihime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'm currently playing P4:D! I actually have never played a rhythm game so it's been a little tricky getting used to it. However, I really love the Persona games so I couldn't help myself. I've only played some of story mode, and mainly stuck to freestyle mode. I'm mainly entertained at the fact that someone has yelled out "DON'T CHOKE!" when I've messed up a few times. I ended up laughing wayyy too long and failed the song. Whoops... Dx
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 17