• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
^hey Congrats on your new player Blood-

Just going by the look of it - the artwork of the characters, I'm interested in Windy Tales now.
Also, my copy of Oishi's Seraphim is already here, just need to pick it up.

From Amzn US for a $1.99
Tokyo Ghoul(Sub) Ep 1 ( I really like track 2 from this "People in The Box" CD(Saints) I bought so I was looking forward to the show, but after this first view... ehhh... not so much now. Sad

From BAM!
went ahead and ordered all of the 3-in-1's available (1 thru 10, and 11 pre-ordered for July 7th) for Skip Beat!
along with
Assassination Classroom 3
Captain Ken 1 (Kickin' myself since I completely missed out on the Kickstarter for this Sad)
Knights of Sidonia 13
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 7
Master Keaton 2
Monster 2, 3
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

There are faster methods, I'm sure the Postal system or UPS would be happy to speed the arrival of the package at Canadian customs. It would cost you though. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Nope, cheapest is bestest. They say time is money and I'm willing to spend more time waiting if it means spending less money period. The other interesting thing is that the cost of shipping from Oz was pretty close to what it would have cost me if our FNCFB had sent the same package to me. Based on recent past experience, the same package from him would have cost about $47 CAD and shipping for the package from Siren came in at about $51 and change CAD.

eta: thanks, lem! I look forward to getting the Fate/Zero BDs way cheaper from region B versus what I'd have to pay AoA. In fact, I'm pretty sure the player and the Region B sets will cost less in total than buying the AoA sets!

eta 2: I was right! Just ordered F/Z BD set 1 & 2 from Amazon.uk for a total of 37.41 pounds (this includes shipping) which is roughly $70 CAD. player + 2 sets = $249 CAD. Cost of getting AoA sets from TRSI = $290 US + $ 37.70 sales tax = $327.70 US which would be about $410 CAD. A savings to me of $161 CAD. Not too shabby!

eta 3: arrgh, that's the problem when you start to spend money - you can't stop! Just remembered I've been wanting to pick up the UK Arrietty BD. I own the R1 version, but also want the version with the British cast. Cost a total of 16.81 pounds, including shipping.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
you know I want that British cast version for Arietty as well. Been meaning to get that but it wasn't on any Do list of mine so it hasn't happened yet.

Also still waiting for any sign of Escaflowne on blu and something besides another delay for the UK blu release of Voices of A Distant Star.

Alan45 wrote:

Very likely the fact that it did not go through the US postal system had some effect on the time

so true. Once upon a time I used to be able to get US mail delivered almost every day.
Nowadays I'm happy if I can just receive anything from anywhere once a week. More often than not it takes longer. They've really cut staff, at least for where I'm at.

*off to throw some more $$ at the screen*
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
@ lem - don't know if this is true or not, but I think I remember hearing that the Jpn Arrietty BD release was supposed to have both English dubs. I have never confirmed this.

grrr, just remembered I forgot to order the R2 Only Yesterday DVD...
lem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
There are at least 2 JP releases that I know of. There might be a third I'll have to check first and edit this post.

The first JP release that I bought, the one in the life saver green case only includes these 6 audio/6 subtitle options (besides 'off')

JP PCM
JP DTS-HD MA
French DTS
Korean DTS 5.1
Chinese DTS - (both Mandarin & Cantonese)

and the Disney R1/A I have:

English 5.1 DTS-HD MA
French 5.1
Japanese 5.1 DTS-HD MA

The Amzn UK page for the Region B blu doesn't indicate an inclusion of the English track, and the Double Play Collector's Edition is one they won't deliver to the US, so I just ordered the UK R2 DVD for now.

*EDIT*
ok this one includes both the American and UK English tracks (same artwork as the R1 release but without the two stickers)
here's the Amazon JP product description thanks to Google
Quote:
Contents Introduction
Studio Ghibli of North American public history, record the best opening performance!
"The Borrower Arrietty« North American version »" In Japan won the 2010 Japanese film No.1 hit "The Borrower Arrietty" is, of summer 2011 is called the topic in the UK public, finally played a North American landing of imposing. When this time of the North American public, as well as Studio Ghibli works of the past, English dub version was meticulously has been created. The acoustic of "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" North American version of the same, Kathleen Kennedy, also known as a producer of Steven Spielberg work, two of Frank Marshall served as executive producer, the director, "Finding Nemo" Gary Rydstrom the director known for such as have been appointed. The voice of the hero Arrietty, who served as the future fern in the Japanese version, [American English version] 19-year-old to be active in the Disney Channel in of Bridgit Mendler has served. In addition to this [American English version] in this release of the Blu-ray disc, [British English version] for the UK public is a stage of the original will has not been recorded in the special. Voice of Arrietty of [British English version] is in charge now most attention is young actress Saoirse Ronan. In Ronan is "Atonement" (2007), was nominated in some 13-year-old Academy Award (R) Best Supporting Actress, that latest "Hanna" (2011), the public and the quarantine to-grown girl for some purpose and doing a Nan'yaku, it became a hot topic. acting force of nature that she has is, blowing new life into Arrietty, I am further expand the world of the original. [Product Specifications] <Specifications> Picture disk / MPEG-4AVC / replication incompetent <screen> 16: 9 widescreen 1920 × 1080 FULL HD <audio> American English (5.1ch / DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless)) United Kingdom English (5.1ch / DTS) Japanese (5.1ch / DTS) <caption> Japanese ★ special package specification ※ Product information is subject to change.

借りぐらしのアリエッティ≪北米版≫ (Blu-ray)

As of this post it's pretty expensive too @ $60.70 + 9.55 USD shipping.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, ffs! It didn't even occur to me to check the language status of the UK BD because I just assumed it would have the British audio. I've attempted to cancel the order but it was already at "Dispatching Now" status so there is no guarantee my attempt to cancel will be successful. If it isn't, I just have to hope the product description is incomplete and the British audio is actually there or that the seller will let me return it.

If it isn't on the release, that's effin' stupid. What's the point of having a DVD release that does have the dub and a BD release that doesn't???
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
Double dipped on The High School of the Dead Collectors Edition since Rightstuf marked it down to $50. Totally worth $50, not the exuberant price it was before.

Also picked up a 1/8 Hatsune Miku Append figure from AmiAmi's used section (http://myfigurecollection.net/item/33486)

And this Sheryl Nome figure I've wanted forever from their used section as well (http://myfigurecollection.net/item/26555)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
So I got an email saying my cancellation request didn't come in time - but it's okay! I found a review of the UK Arrietty BD that indicates the dub is there, so I think the lack of mention in the amazon.uk product description is just an oversight. *whew*

I won't completely relax until I get the movie and ascertain for sure.

And wow, that's a great price for the HotD CE. Makes it tempting to double dip, for sure.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
All the Ghibli stuff which is dubbed has been released with a dub over here. Optimum/Studiocanal are pretty good for that. The UK release of Arrietty has the British dub.

@lem - If you want to get stuff shipped to me I'll happily ship it on.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
@st_owly,

Thanks, At the moment I don't know if I'm willing to pay what they're currently asking for that UK Deluxe Collector's Edition in "New" condition - 300 US.

Especially since BAM! has a 20% off sale for this weekend and I have at least another 50 or so volumes to pick up for the year, not including the double dips for some of my favorites like Emma & Monster, I'm gonna splurge there.

Blood- wrote:
...found a review of the UK Arrietty BD that indicates the dub is there, so I think the lack of mention in the amazon.uk product description is just an oversight. *whew*

And wow, that's a great price for the HotD CE. Makes it tempting to double dip, for sure.

I didn't even bother to look through the reviews and mine has already been "dispatched" as well. Amazon in general is pretty weak that way so I just avoid assuming or rather placing much stock in their info for stuff that's on a disc. That's from having been burnt so many times before. Smile

... man, that HotD CE price. SO very tempted.

Not having a thing to do with Attack on Titan or even a "manga" per se(?) ...but it was mentioned here so after judging the book by its cover I ordered a Used - Very Good copy of an "I Kill Giants" Titan Edition.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Seems Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works BD Box 1 has shipped out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Got lucky and picked up the "Shrine Box" edition of Kamichu! for $40 (after shipping) on Ebay. It just arrived and is in pristine condition. Even has the $3 rebate coupons in the cases.

It had been going for $75-100+, with "buy now" prices of $150.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
Yes, that is a good price. I paid about $90 with shipping for my good condition used Kamichu set a few years back. Then a while later somebody was selling it on Craigslist for $30... Sad
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
At long last my Devil Homura figure has shipped! I didn't notice at first due to my computer crapping itself, but this makes the weekend a little better.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
I forgot to say what I bought at Zenkaikon. Compared to my yearly Otakon hauls, this was definitely modest. Most of the dealer's room is artist alley or character goods or whatnot, not much anime or manga (my poison of choice).

In the dealer's room, I got:
Ajin 3
Knights of Sidonia 1, 2, 4-13

These were $4 manga each, not bad! And a "practical origami" book for my friend. Oh and a "cosplay Alpaca", which I didn't even know existed. It's of Kotetsu from Tiger & Bunny, like so

Also, since Nostalgia Critic was there, I got a DVD from him (+ signature) and Richard Horvitz was there so I brought my physical Psychonauts PS2 copy to get signed (I've since bought it on PS3, where it's a more playable version, but the PS2 version is still special to me)

From the swap meet, I got rid of some stuff, and got a few news things:
Tekkonkinkreet movie
A Letter to Momo
Hades project part 1
One piece manga 1-3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1191 of 1399