• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The manga recently finished the first 1/2, without knowing what happens I imagine that would be a good stopping point for the anime.

I don't understand what you mean by that. The first half of what? The year? The Fall Tournament? The entire story?

If it's 150 chapters ahead now (i.e., what they just finished), are you saying stopping when they catch up to those 150 chapters is a good stopping point? Well, okay, but how many episodes of anime would that be? More than a dozen or two, I'd think?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 75

The first half was very good, but I've never seen a series handle its OP/ED quite like that before. I think a good third of the episode was credit roll. Smile And it was like they even ran out of padding material at the end, just resorting to endless pans of the team lined up. Have they said when they're launching the next season yet?

But it was nice that everyone got to play together to their heart's content and I guess spoiler[Sawamura's got his mojo back, at least enough to play until he reclaims his inside pitch again.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
show's been moved to Mondays now, with the first ep of season 2 airing on April 6th
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
While this show never had a great budget, it really showed in that ending montage Very Happy They chose a good time to end; spoiler[Sawamura is back in the game, the third years have been properly sent off, and Miyuki is feeling more like a team captain. I liked how they mirrored Miyuki stepping up to take a number with him walking onto the field.]

I inexplicably got that sad-happy feeling even though the 'second season' is airing in about a week. Ace of Diamond never truly leaves us.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The manga recently finished the first 1/2, without knowing what happens I imagine that would be a good stopping point for the anime.

I don't understand what you mean by that. The first half of what? The year? The Fall Tournament? The entire story?

If it's 150 chapters ahead now (i.e., what they just finished), are you saying stopping when they catch up to those 150 chapters is a good stopping point? Well, okay, but how many episodes of anime would that be? More than a dozen or two, I'd think?

I meant this animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-10/ace-of-diamond-baseball-manga-1st-part-ends/.83115

And they already announced a 2nd season. Considering they just need 75+ episodes for the 1st seasons so I see no reason they wouldn't have enough episodes for the 2nd.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Not related to any current discussion..........

I really have to wonder if the animators were intentionally trying to portray Chris as Jesus. He just has that vibe that makes you warm inside every time he does something. So weird...

Recently caught up with the series after taking a break and it's still as fantastic as I remember. Really glad how they handled Eijun's situation as well as giving Furuya a bit more spotlight than usual. Now if only Haruichi could get the same treatment at some point......(he is a main character after all!).

I also like the atmosphere the new coach brings with him. I see a lot of people hating on him since he isn't very politically correct in his methods but it's pretty obvious coaches like him have the best teams.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
^
I've jokingly thought the same about Chris. Particularly after he visited the spoiler[yips-ridden Sawamura and was framed like a holy savior]. Not that I minded; he has a warm and encouraging personality.

Haruichi is an odd main character. He gets about as much development as the supporting cast. It's probably because he isn't a pitcher or catcher. Games mostly focus on Miyuki and whoever is pitching. (Though to be fair, everyone else really just needs to vigilantly stand around most of the time.) But he did get that OVA about his childhood and we see him working with Zono a lot, so there's that?

I'll agree that the coach isn't wrong, as least as this point. His methods would improve the team as a whole, even if it might be counter to the team ethic. However, it's still pretty early on. That his old students never came to visit him might be a red flag. Maybe he excels at training but doesn't place emphasis on supporting them emotionally and building trust?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a disappointment. I was all settled in for some new baseball, and all I got was a recap of the summer game. Looks like the same next week. Sad

Oh well, at least Baby Steps is back. Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder why the recaps. I could understand one, but two? Maybe the 'second season' was decided late in the game (heh) and they needed a quick way to extend the production schedule.

I at least wish we could see a new OP.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Recap Hell is over!

For some reason that episode seemed to be really long but it wasn't boring. It was kind of all over the place though. Evil coach is really becoming evil now. The next opponent has spoiler[a pitcher who could apparently put Mihashi to shame.] I don't like any of the opposing coaches so far. In the first season, there was only one I really disliked.

I don't care for the new OP/ED songs, but otherwise it's looking good for the new season.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
I wonder why the recaps. I could understand one, but two? Maybe the 'second season' was decided late in the game (heh) and they needed a quick way to extend the production schedule.

I at least wish we could see a new OP.

The reason they are doing these recaps is due to it changing to Sundays AND being a a different T.V station. Therefore it makes sense for them to do recaps so the new audience actually knows what's going on and aren't simply dropped into a new series they know nothing about.

Not to mention recaps give animators a lot more breathing room schedule wise since they are really easy to make. I'll take this over potential stalling (aka fillers) of the show later.

That aside I quite enjoyed this episode. Eijun is slowly becoming more reliable again and I think this game is setting him up to be the deciding factor. Even though I do like the new coach I agree he CAN be a bit of an asshole. He's obviously thinking of setting up the team for success long term wise which is why his decisions don't make sense if he wanted the team to win this particular tournament (which i believe he stated last season before).
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 5:

Mm, I liked the latest episode. The spoiler[rainy weather] brings a new challenge to the pitchers since it can affect the ball. I still like Furuya and his confidence level in this as well as the momentum of the match though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The new OP and ED have grown on me. I like that they're experimenting with different perspectives for the OP in particular; there were some cool shots.

leatherhead333 wrote:

The reason they are doing these recaps is due to it changing to Sundays AND being a a different T.V station. Therefore it makes sense for them to do recaps so the new audience actually knows what's going on and aren't simply dropped into a new series they know nothing about.

Not to mention recaps give animators a lot more breathing room schedule wise since they are really easy to make. I'll take this over potential stalling (aka fillers) of the show later.

Ah, I figured that they were just filling in time while they were producing new episodes. I was aware of the time change, but didn't know they were switching stations. Hopefully it will draw in new viewers.

I actually wouldn't mind filler for this show if they did it right. A couple episodes focusing on what they do when not training/playing could be fun. A simple plot--something like roaming Tokyo--could be used to explore relationships, particularly for the under-utilized players. It'd just be difficult to time; they'd need to be in the off-season or it would kill the momentum of a tournament. If the series catches up to the manga, though, we might see it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 82 (S2.7)

I guess if they're out if they lose, the conclusion is pretty obvious (unless they do a major time leap), but getting there is always fun. Really disappointed by the pitch-out though. Kominato isn't in this nearly enough.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed by Sawamura's skills especially for this week's episode. I wonder what Mei thinks about that. And anyways, the weather seems to be bad so far during their game but I think by the time it's over, it will get sunny again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 23