• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Original Ghost in the Shell Release?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Which US release would you guys consider to be the best for the original Ghost in the Shell movie? I have read that the most recent bluray release had bad subtitles, among other things.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
It would greatly depend on how distracted you are by the CGI and different color-timing of 2.0. If you don't care, then the blu-ray release of that would be the best from a technical perspective.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Briefly:
1. The original DVD has 5.1 Dub sound and correct subtitles. Of course its not HD.

2. The Blu-ray 2.0 version has 6.1 DTS-HD Dub audio, but throws in ugly CG in a few scenes and has a few minor cuts and its subtitles are also correct. It also has under the bonuses the original version without the CG, but the visuals are somewhat washed out and only has 2.0 (HD?) sound.

3. The latest 25th Anniversary (its 25yrs since manga not movie) Blu-ray has 5.1 HD dub audio, but it has issues (YMMV). However, if you are a sub only fan this release has different subtitles that are completely butchered.

4. If you import one of the Japanese versions you can avoid the ugly CG, get the correct subtitles, but if you are a dub fan its only in 2.0 and not HD IIRC. Plus its more expensive.

So you get to choose your poison, so to speak.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

2. It also has under the bonuses the original version without the CG, but the visuals are somewhat washed out and only has 2.0 (HD?) sound.
1080i with PCM 2.0 Japanese and English audio, but it looks and sounds like shit.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

2. It also has under the bonuses the original version without the CG, but the visuals are somewhat washed out and only has 2.0 (HD?) sound.
1080i with PCM 2.0 Japanese and English audio, but it looks and sounds like shit.

I couldn't remember the sound on the extras, but I did recall that the visuals were washed out looking, but yea shit is another way of putting it. I own both the DVD and the BD 2.0 version and I had gotten the 25th version when it first came out because I was so excited to get the original non-CG version in HD. It was such crap that I actually returned the 25th BD.

I know many people don't like the Dub, but over the years it grew on me and became my preferred way of viewing it. I looked into getting the Japanese version but I think it was only 2.0 non-HD audio which killed that idea for me. So which disc do I watch when I want to revisit this classic? The original DVD.

I guess I'll have to wait for the 4K version in what 10 more years? Maybe? Then we can see how Manga/Anchor Bay can screw up that release.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Go for the Japanese release if you want the best all around quality, though like others mentioned, it's more expensive. I wonder if we'll ever get a decent release over here?
SolHerald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Briefly:
1. The original DVD has 5.1 Dub sound and correct subtitles. Of course its not HD.

2. The Blu-ray 2.0 version has 6.1 DTS-HD Dub audio, but throws in ugly CG in a few scenes and has a few minor cuts and its subtitles are also correct. It also has under the bonuses the original version without the CG, but the visuals are somewhat washed out and only has 2.0 (HD?) sound.

3. The latest 25th Anniversary (its 25yrs since manga not movie) Blu-ray has 5.1 HD dub audio, but it has issues (YMMV). However, if you are a sub only fan this release has different subtitles that are completely butchered.

4. If you import one of the Japanese versions you can avoid the ugly CG, get the correct subtitles, but if you are a dub fan its only in 2.0 and not HD IIRC. Plus its more expensive.

So you get to choose your poison, so to speak.

Thanks for the replies, so for the first release what is the difference between this one and this special edition one?
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:

Thanks for the replies, so for the first release what is the difference between this one and this special edition one?

The special edition has 6.1 audio for both tracks while the first release only has 5.1 English and 2.0 Japanese. The SE also has some extra special features. For the nominal price difference, you should get the SE.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
SolHerald wrote:

The special edition has 6.1 audio for both tracks while the first release only has 5.1 English and 2.0 Japanese. The SE also has some extra special features. For the nominal price difference, you should get the SE.

The special edition dvd sounds like the best bet for me, thanks for the all help guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1