• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures Acquire Live-Action Robotech Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guilhem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:45 am Reply with quote
GATUS wrote:
Yeah, because I would totally get my ass fired, because I just had to double down on a shitty knock-off of Team America.

How tragic... So?

AbZeroNow wrote:
omiya wrote:

From what I can see at http://www.macross.jp the franchise is very much alive, and given the re-release of Macross Frontier material on blu-ray over a year ago, there should be less of an issue with reverse imports.

Given that the Movies BD Box has English subs, I guess I may have to set aside nearly $200 to get it. I do wonder if I can watch the movies without having seen the TV series [I don't generally use fansubs].

I wouldn't recommend it: the movies are far less good than the TV series IMO, to the point that I couldn't even recognize the original material – maybe it's just me, though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Guilhem wrote:

I wouldn't recommend it: the movies are far less good than the TV series IMO, to the point that I couldn't even recognize the original material – maybe it's just me, though...

I think that the series works better than the movies, although with Kindan no Elixir / May'n (Macross Frontier Movie Sayonara no Tsubasa OP) being the third song that I saw and heard being performed live in Japan, I had to at least give some credit for the movie having a new song like that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
omiya: There's a difference between importing CDs and having to pay for the home video rights to songs.

Tars:
Quote:
If Sony really thinks the show could be a success, and they are ready to go ahead, then it will happen, and the Japanese side will go along with it.

Why would the Japanese side go along with it, when they hated the original deal with HG in the first place?

Quote:
As to Warner Bros, who knows why, but it is nothing new in Hollywood.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Why would the Japanese side go along with it, when they hated the original deal with HG in the first place?

Because you are talking about Sony and Warner Bros, not some tiny company that is practically dead, called Harmony Gold.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
omiya: There's a difference between importing CDs and having to pay for the home video rights to songs.

I'm not sure where the idea of importing CD's came up.

Flying Dog haven't prevented or overcharged for their artists' music being used in anime releases outside of Japan that I know of.

Can you name any Yoko Kanno compositions used in anime that *weren't* included in western releases of the anime?
Guilhem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Guilhem wrote:

I think that the series works better than the movies, although with Kindan no Elixir / May'n (Macross Frontier Movie Sayonara no Tsubasa OP) being the third song that I saw and heard being performed live in Japan, I had to at least give some credit for the movie having a new song like that.

I admit willingly that these movies are very well done on the artistic side, and particularly the music: from this point of view, the pure show, the BD may be worth the money.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Because you are talking about Sony and Warner Bros, not some tiny company that is practically dead, called Harmony Gold.

And a company with which BW/SN have a particularly execrable relationship since, what?, 20 years or almost. I believe I heard that ADV was interested into licensing some Macross material quite some years ago but when they say to the original creators that HG had to be part of the deal, Kawamori and Co. backed off immediately: I can't tell if it's just a rumor or not but this illustrates the point quite well – anything except HG! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6