• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Durarara!!×2 (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The band was formed by people of his same age ("don't trust adults" was one of the phrases oftenly said in the band) so I don't see the problem. The only ones that are bigger are the ones from the Blue Squares band that were accepted in the present, not in the past, and because 1-they were inside before Masaomi became the leader again, and 2-even then they were very controlled by Masaomi's eye as troublemakers and even recalling their condition of "adults".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
"Emperor has no clothes."

Original series completely lost credibility once it was exposed just wimpy winy children were heads of street gangs. It is so ridiculous that it is impossible to take this concept seriously. It is so fake that you do not believe in this story even for a second.

So let me get this straight. Durarara!! is a show that features a guy so strong he can throw cars and lift motorcycles easily; a headless Irish fairy; a supernatural parasite who makes its host eyes glow red and be able to pull a sword from her body...

...but it's the fact that it's kids who were heads of street gangs that you stub your credibility toe on?

Okay, then.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Both friends are sociopath maniacs, that is clear. However, it is still not believable at all that the blond one could be leader of a gang. Just impossible. Age and physical strength are obligatory for that.

As far as we know, Masaomi formed the Yellow Scarves with kids his age. If an older guy joined later, then they were probably fully prepared to follow Masaomi, even if he was younger. Besides, gangs in Japan seem to be pretty mild compared to other places... at least things end in brawls, and not in killing people. The killing is left to the yakuza and stuff, so I don't think it's uncommon for a gang to be managed by a 16-years old.

Same thing I just said applies to Aoba. With Mikado it's a bit different because of the whole net thing.
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Both friends are sociopath maniacs, that is clear. However, it is still not believable at all that the blond one could be leader of a gang. Just impossible. Age and physical strength are obligatory for that.

From what I've read in the novels, it sounds like these are gangs made purely of young Middle/High School age kids. And the older, stronger ones graduate onto other things like stronger gangs, motorcycle gangs or the Yakuza. I don't want to get into it too much for fear I'll give away spoilers. I forget what has been mentioned and what hasn't...

But I will mention one thing:spoiler[It is mentioned how some of the gangs were surprised that the Yellow Squares were middle school students. It is implied that this was no ordinary middle school gang. When you think about the average body buiild during middle school/first year of HS, it is not too surprising for Masami to lead a gang. That and this is Japan. Body builds and years of school in relation to age don't necessarily line up with the school system of the U.S. or elsewhere.]
~~~~~

On a different note, I was really hoping that this would end up being a 26 episode series not just 12 episodes and thus cover more of the novels.... I'm already on Durarara!!SH so I was seriously hoping to see some of the later characters/scenes animated.

But maybe, like someone else said, they can take this time and do the next set right & turn up the hype.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
^DurararaX2 picks back up in the summer season with DurararaX 2: Ten, and there is a 3rd series called DurararaX2: Ketsu for January of 2016 already announced.
Lovely

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Sunara Ishi wrote:
[.... I'm already on Durarara!!SH so I was seriously hoping to see some of the later characters/scenes animated.

Lucky. I don't read translations (or spoilers) out of order, or until an entire book is complete*, so I haven't read past book 10 yet. Anime cry

Speaking of. I'll probably skip watching the third cour of Durarara x2 until I can read the book versions.

(*Part of the reason for this being I DID read book 9, before 8 and that really killed a lot of the impact of 8, so I will not repeat that experience again!)
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
^DurararaX2 picks back up in the summer season with DurararaX 2: Ten, and there is a 3rd series called DurararaX2: Ketsu for January of 2016 already announced.

I am aware of those but most likely each season will only cover a book or two. I doubt they will get to the last couple books in the series. I'd love to see book 13 animated but that'd probably take place long after Ketsu.

Lovely wrote:
Sunara Ishi wrote:
[.... I'm already on Durarara!!SH so I was seriously hoping to see some of the later characters/scenes animated.

Lucky. I don't read translations (or spoilers) out of order, or until an entire book is complete*, so I haven't read past book 10 yet. Anime cry

Speaking of. I'll probably skip watching the third cour of Durarara x2 until I can read the book versions.

(*Part of the reason for this being I DID read book 9, before 8 and that really killed a lot of the impact of 8, so I will not repeat that experience again!)

I just kept reading the translations up to 14 (Aka Durarara!!Sh). I had read up to 9 a long time ago. (Shortly after the 1st season) And when I started reading again, 10, 13, & 14 were fully translated and 11 & 12 seemed almost finished so I just kept on going. But I plan to go back to read the last couple chapters of 11 & 12. I don't think I missed much, on vol. 11, but I could be wrong. I definitely missed some things in 12.

I plan to eventually sit down and try to read Durarara!!Sh in Japanese but it is so much text & my JP sucks. Perhaps I'll skip to Durarara!!Sh 2 & 3 'cause I really want to find out what happens next... X.x;

Personally I'd watch all seasons regardless of whether I was up to date. If I stop, I'd never get started again on the anime... I've found that if I procrastinate a series, I rarely end up watching it unless I buy a hard copy on Blu-ray.

[Edit: Forgot I wanted to post a couple questions about ep.11 and 12 ]
Concerning what happened at the end, maybe some of the people who also read the books could refresh my memory. spoiler[I thought Izaya was originally stabbed at the train station after getting off the train. Not on the street?]Am I mistaken?

And concerning ep.11: spoiler[That burned down building... Did that have something to do with something in the plot? Or was it just nothing of importance?]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
"Emperor has no clothes."

Original series completely lost credibility once it was exposed just wimpy winy children were heads of street gangs. It is so ridiculous that it is impossible to take this concept seriously. It is so fake that you do not believe in this story even for a second.

So let me get this straight. Durarara!! is a show that features a guy so strong he can throw cars and lift motorcycles easily; a headless Irish fairy; a supernatural parasite who makes its host eyes glow red and be able to pull a sword from her body...

...but it's the fact that it's kids who were heads of street gangs that you stub your credibility toe on?

Okay, then.

Exactly, because fantasy axiom in terms of beings and powers has nothing to do with social/human aspect of the show. Aside some fantasy weirdness in powers, otherwise people are still people here. There is no way puny blond teen could become a gang leader as it is shown.

Via_01 wrote:
As far as we know, Masaomi formed the Yellow Scarves with kids his age.

We have got scenes with yellow hair teen being gang leader in the original series, and the crowd mostly looked nothing like being consisting of kids of his age or being comparable to him in terms of size and power. This is why that immediately destroyed whole concept and exposed it as fake.

If this Masaomi teen would be the biggest and oldest among the gang, there would be no issue. However, authors went overboard with the story, so I could do nothing but laugh at how ridiculous the setting has turn out to be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Okay, then.

Exactly, because fantasy axiom in terms of beings and powers has nothing to do with social/human aspect of the show. Aside some fantasy weirdness in powers, otherwise people are still people here. There is no way puny blond teen could become a gang leader as it is shown.

Shizuo Heiwajima is not a supernatural being. He is simply a human who for some reason has completely unbelievable physical strength and endurance. So, if you are prepared to accept that as credible, then logically speaking, you should be prepared to believe that a high schooler who apparently is really good at fighting and inspiring fear/loyalty in his followers could lead a gang made up mostly of other young people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
We have got scenes with yellow hair teen being gang leader in the original series, and the crowd mostly looked nothing like being consisting of kids of his age or being comparable to him in terms of size and power. This is why that immediately destroyed whole concept and exposed it as fake. ... There is no way puny blond teen could become a gang leader as it is shown.

Maybe I just don't remember, but we are not shown him becoming a gang leader. He already is one, and there are a number of ways that could have come to pass that are quite believable. He could have taken over from a mentor, because he's intelligent and people follow smart people with good ideas. He could have done a favor for stronger people who weren't smart or ambitious enough to lead a gang but were quite comfortable backing him up as his muscle. Also, these kids. Smile

Secondly, this isn't a documentary. You can't "expose" something as fake when it never claimed to be real. There's no attempt at fraud here. FAKE! is pretty harsh to apply to any work of fiction, since by definition fiction is not real. Some fiction is more realistic than others, but all of it is made-up.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
When my anime club finished Shou at our last meeting, we all spazzed. Anime hyper

They ended it THERE!? THEY ENDED IT THERE!?

spoiler[ Orihara Izaya gets pwned. WHAT TWILIGHT ZONE MINDF*CKERY IS THIS?]

July is way too far away.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
They ended it THERE!? THEY ENDED IT THERE!?

Had to end it somewhere babe.

I just caught up to this and I just love all the awesome characters. Although I think Mikado is a bit of a twit he is showing promise.

What I don't get is why the Blue Squares guys were so fixated on having him take over? That was never explained and Mikado never even asked this obvious question. It seems they could have done a lot better for a leader than him.

Another question did spoiler[Izaya survive]? I like him but he got what he deserved.

Things I want to see going forward:

1. More Celty.
1. Mikado and Anri getting cuddly and kissy (yes I know but she isn't going to go with anyone else.)
1. And Varona needs to be severely punished.

That's all I got for now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Durarara!!x2 Ten Episode 1:

An episode with a lot of Izaya? I'm pleased to see that with this season's return.

And anyways, I think this episode establishes the first arc (for this season) well. The talk about death in particular made me interested. Idk about afterlife but it's something I think most of us thought about before. Good episode overall. The dialogues always has a catchy way to deliver itself in that DRRR style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
#13 (1)

spoiler[Izaya got attacked by the mysterious Jinnai.
Nobody seemed to care much about his stabbing though.]

Things got interesting near the end.
Lots of talking as usual..
Still, a good continuance of the series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Part 2, Episode 1 (for now I might go by this episode listing, it feels a little odd)

For me this episode goes way back to the first episode, to Izaya getting that girl to commit suicide, or whatever it was so long back. It was about Izaya's mentality, the mentality of a "troll". He does not cause trouble and do horrible things because he hates the people. No, instead he desperately wants their attention, to actually feel like he is important and has some power. That he spent a day where no one came after him when he was at his weakest, that he was not important enough for Shinra to even talk on the phone, it was eating him up.

Izaya was delighted to learn just one of the many seeds he planted, one that he forgot the face of, had come for justice. That his mocking and tearing apart of ideals allowed him some control of life and death. Again, Izaya does not do things he because he hates, no he likes them and wants to be "important".

While the episode kind of focused on how Izaya himself might not be the world revolving around him and the mundane, we got couple flashes of some things actually happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 14