• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steins;Gate 0 Follow-Up Game & Anime's Teaser Video, Staff Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope they do this well. Steins;Gate is one of my all time favorites and this sequel could be really good or really bad.

Quote:
Ryotaro Okabe

His name is actually Rintaro Okabe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, we do not need this. The ending of the first game was just fine, and it told a great one shot story. It does not need a sequel or alternate ending.

I had the same feelings when they released the anime movie. I just don't think it is a good idea. The story was amazing as a stand alone project.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Use "Time" as the vehicle for the setting (time travel, time-skip, alternate time, etc) is a convenient plot device, but at the same, if handled poorly, can ruin the show (most recent that I remember was Glasslip, but that was more of not living up to the expectations rather than an actual flop).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
In my opinion, we do not need this. The ending of the first game was just fine, and it told a great one shot story. It does not need a sequel or alternate ending.

I had the same feelings when they released the anime movie. I just don't think it is a good idea. The story was amazing as a stand alone project.

Just a reminder the game had Mutpile endings/outcomes based on your actions not just one. spoiler[The anime and Film only showed the best possible outcome, this is one of the worst.] To sum up
spoiler[It's the story of the β World Line after Okabe fails to save Kurisu, as told previously in the Epigraph trilogy and the β drama CD.
So it's not exactly a sequel since these events are undone in the main game.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Seems pointless to have all these spoilers being how they told us what happened in the translated text...
LokiReed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
hey, let's add two more girls to the already girl-heavy cast........ -_-
well, at least there's more than one guy i guess....
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this, can always do with more Steins;Gate anime.

I'm a sucker for time travel, and I would be able to compartmentalise this from the original anime (which is my favourite anime). I actually enjoy the idea of being able to see an alternate future/dimension when manipulation of time/space is a key point in a series.

Plus, it makes it easy to ignore if I don't enjoy it. Laughing

So, 2 new girls and a new androgynous character? Hard for me to say if the character in the yellow jacket (in the video) is a guy or a girl.

I'm still waiting for the movie to get a home release...
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
So is this a sequel or a technical prequel? Or a spin-off? That 0 confuses me. Confused
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
So is this a sequel or a technical prequel? Or a spin-off? That 0 confuses me. Confused

Alternate timeline spin-off based on the end of episode 23, but without the continuation of the final episode, OVA and movie. And the new girl is the main heroine of Epigraph Trilogy, so there is a possibility that the main plot will be based on it.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:

I agree. I was actually excited when the follow-up movie's announced, expecting for another smart plotline, but after watching it, I was disappointed because it's as if the movie treats the perfect ending of the series like a waste.
I mean, after all those thrilling efforts and sacrifices to reach such hopeful ending... but then spoiler[to only make them start over] is rather, pretentious, if not forced enough. An unnecessary extension.

If the premise, or beginning of the problem of this sequel will only treat the ending of the series as only a failure, then I'd be really pissed.
Now if they have a different version of ending of the previous series, or if the initial idea will have nothing to do with the ending of the series, then.. still they need more, fresh storyline, than only a recycled time travel plot for saving someone.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I'd be inclined to say something along the lines of "Don't mess with a good thing," but since this takes place only in an outcome that could have happened and not one from the game's true ending, it is pretty harmless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1