• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Peace Books Adds The Rising of the Shield Hero Fantasy Novel, Manga Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
I am flabbergasted that this one actually got licensed! Its even more surprising than Danmachi which at least had an anime in the works.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
This one has a lot of popularity currently in the dodgy machine translation scene, which is I am guessing why they picked it up. Not sure how well that will translate into actual sales though, particularly as the writing isn't particularly accomplished and I would say the machine translation stuff skews towards a younger fan crowd. Also it is a hugely long series, seems a bad choice in my books. Not that I dislike the books, I just can't see sales being sustained to release it.

Last edited by partially on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
What a pleasant surprise, I've been looking forward to how things played out in the LN version.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
Technically, there area few adaptations to this series:
  • An online Web Novel (WN) - the original publication, has more than 750 chapters. Is freely available here (Japanese);
  • The LN series - in which the story diverges significantly from the WNs at around LV #7-or-so (at least that what I read);
  • The manga - which also deviates from the previous adaptations, and since the manga is still relatively new (started about a year ago, so only ~14 were published so far), the extent of the changes to the story are still unclear.

I'm hoping an anime is in the works; the series has a No Game, No Life-esque feeling to it (in a good way), and being somewhat reverse from Log Horizon, in that the MC gets outcast from the get-go.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Niyari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
interesting. while it was definitely a matter of time till this was picked up, i'm a bit surprised by who did. no complaints tho
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Technically, there area few adaptations to this series:
  • An online Web Novel (WN) - the original publication, has more than 750 chapters. Is freely available here (Japanese);
  • The LN series - in which the story diverges significantly from the WNs at around LV #7-or-so (at least that was I read);
  • The manga - which also deviates from the previous adaptations, and since the manga is still relatively new (started about a year ago, so only ~14 were published so far), the extent of the changes to the story are still unclear.

I'm hoping an anime is in the works; the series has a No Game, No Life-esque feeling to it (in a good way), and being somewhat reverse from Log Horizon, in that the MC gets outcast from the get-go.

I wonder how often the chapters are released because that's a lot of chapters already.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
I love this series. Wish they could get an anime adaptation rolling out for this, but like partially said, it isn't all that popular and the sales might not sustain it. Still, if you're a fan of the video game anti-hero genre, give this a try! The synopsis might sound a little generic at first, but after you get into the series it turns quite good.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder how often the chapters are released because that's a lot of chapters already.

On average daily, from October 29th 2012.
martinic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ooh interesting gonna buy it if I can when it comes out. The web novel is being translated quite well. The first few chapters were machine translated but later on they are a machine assisted translation.[/url]
jimmydip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Some reason Amazon has only the second volume of the light novel and the first manga for preorder, wonder what happened to the first volume of the light novel
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that frequent since Oct. '12? Talk about a dedicated author.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
They're picking up a web-fic?
martinic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Not the first time it has happened
partially

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
They're picking up a web-fic?

They are picking up the light novel version of it. The series was picked up by Media Factory, edited, and compiled into volumes. Of which there are 9 so far. They aren't doing the web-version.

A fairly large number of current JP light novels have begun their lives in this way. For example one of the most recent big examples is Sword Art Online, which was web-fiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1