• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino Shares His Appreciation for The Wind Rises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Uh, Tomino and his works are heralded about as highly for their artistic merit in Japan as Miyazaki, so... yeah, it's a shame you don't agree, but to say Tomino is just some lucky model salesman ignores the evidence of all the accolades he's received, not just for his financial success.

I need proof. Cite his accolades. Anyway, his artistic merits are way below both Miyazaki and Anno, his unaccepted pupil.

penguintruth wrote:
Gundam was only a "failure" at first, much like Yamato, but once it gained ground, it never lost any.

Gundam itself is a mediocre show, much like Yamato. I love vintage anime, but those two are appalling boring. Their merit is what they inpire, not their own quality.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
In the interview, Tomino Yoshiyuki has said:
Quote:
どうしてここまで航空エンジニアのことがわかるんだと思って調べたら、お父さんが「中島飛行機」の下請会社をやっていらっしゃったとか。

Mr Eric Stimson's translation:
Quote:
Tomino: If you want to know why I know so much about aviation engineering, it's because my dad worked for a subcontractor of Nakajima Aircraft...

Actually, what Tomino has said in that part is:
'I wondered why Mr Miyazaki knew so much about aircraft engineers and I checked, and I found that Mr Miyazaki's father had run a subcontractor to the Nakajima Aircraft Company.'
The subject of 'わかる' is Miyazaki Hayao. The subject of '思って調べたら' is Tomino. The subject of 'やっていらっしゃった' is Miyazaki's father.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3